8/23 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS = 430, +6= 56 (AT)., +6.5 =75, +7=130. PMPS = 529, +3=394

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

thebigfuzz likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

So back to 1.25. He’s competing with Dre for most bouncy cat of the FDMB. Tell him he doesn’t want to win.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I will tell him. Ok, back to 1.25 units BID.

4. tiffmaxee

I suggest you get a test before +6. You could have prevented him going that low with higher carbs.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Nice job of handling the drop. I hope he doesn't bounce to the moon.

You might want to think about getting a test earlier in the cycle if possible. If your kitty tends to start dropping, you will have more time to prop up the numbers with food. If you can intervene and smooth out the drop, it may help to reduce some of the bouncing.

Si am cat mom and Shiloh567 like this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dre must be related to Gideon! Once you find the right higher carb food it really helps with avoiding the drop. The sugar dance:confused:
    :bighug:

thebigfuzz and Shiloh567 like this.
  7. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Ok. So if I increase again, I will be sure to test at +2 and +4, in addition to +6, to avoid a GREEN drop. I was surprised the increase of .25 unit did this. I feel bad for the kitties that are blindly put on 2 units BID initially (by their vet). Gideon was, but he only rec'd one dose of 2 units before I lowered it. Vet said he won't go in remission unless I keep him on 2 units BID. The vet now likes the spreadsheet, but still doesn't think I should test as much as I do. Both Gideon's BG levels and Lantus dose has been like a rollercoaster. I am very thankful for this group.

8. jayla-n-Drevon

It is awful how many vets advise to shoot blind....Dre would have gone hypo a million times and possibly worse. I like you plan for testing, Dre was a +3 drop like a led balloon. For us if Dre has a lower pre shot I syringe a teaspoon of savory centers and so far its working. Your doing a great job, I know the stress all too well.
    Great job!

KittenTheCat and tiffmaxee like this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

oh-I forgot...it is crazy that such a small amount. Insulin is powerful, Dre will get crazy number with just a drop or even less.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  10. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

My boy bounced to the BLACK at PMPS, which was 529.

11. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Jayla - I see Drevon's spreadsheet from 2017. Is there another tab for 2020 that I do not see?

12. jayla-n-Drevon

no I keep his numbers and meds in my phone-he has been diabetic 6 years now and clearly not going into remission. I also can't really follow a protocol between running my business-bf etc..the stress of worrying about him while at work.

He is currently on .75 and he lingers around 200 give or take, he was 176 this morning which is fine for us, he is 21 now and I can't take the scary lows or highs.

My Rico who passed about 9 months ago at 21 years and was steroid induced and I got him in remission quickly but no such luck with Drevon he wasn't steroid induced just genetics I guess.

Were rooting for you, I truly understand the emotion and stress when thing don't seem to make sense.
    @tiffmaxee is very knowledgable -Im happy she is helping you threw this sugar dance.:bighug:

Shiloh567 likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A small housekeeping favour to ask - could you keep the subject line updated with the current BG's as you get them and log on here. 56 (AT) means a lot more than "low green". Congrats on the reduction.

Out of curiosity, how much HC did you give at +6? He jumped up a LOT. The idea with bringing him out of the lows is that you'd like to bump him up to safe greens, and have him surf there for a while. Those are the healing numbers and you want him to spend time there. You might want to note on your spreadsheet how much HC you gave, so you can refer to what worked/worked too well next time. It does take quite a bit of experimenting to figure out how much of exactly what carbs works for your kitty and how carb sensitive he is.

tiffmaxee and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  14. jayla-n-Drevon

do you have any medium carb? that might be good as he is carb sensitive to Wendys point.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  15. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Ok. If Gideon goes low, I will try to remember to put (AT) and then the number. I did update the subject line. Do you mean, I should delete the AMPS value, and only leave the most current?

About 1 teaspoon of 20% carb food was given when Gideon dropped to 56. Then I gave another teaspoon when the next BG was 75.

16. tiffmaxee

No. Leave the AMPS . I would do like this:
    8/23 Gideon Blue AMPS 430 56@+6 75@+6.5 130@+7. That way we know he’s gone up to safe numbers.

17. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

So, don't include PMPS, right?