? 8/3 Norbert PMPS 367, +4hr 51 Possible hypo?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Norbert’s Mom, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Norbert’s Mom

Norbert’s Mom Member

Norbert’s bg has dropped to 51 in 4 hours. We have just given him some honey and carby food. Vet has instructed us to back off his dosage to 2 units.
    Recently changed his food to low carb, so we were expecting a drop, but this??
    Any help would be great!!

2. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

I'm very new here and not qualified to give any advice, but you might want to edit your post title to add the "?" at the front so people who know more see that you need assistance.

Norbert’s Mom likes this.
  3. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Not a typed "?"- there's a pulldown menu at the front of the title editing bar. Have you tested him again?

4. Norbert’s Mom

Norbert’s Mom Member

Sorry! I’ll try to edit it again.
    Yes, we just retested and he’s up to 126 now. Will keep checking until we know he’s not going to fall off again.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

6. Wendy&Neko

How long after the 51 was that 126?

7. Norbert’s Mom

Norbert’s Mom Member

20 minutes after the 51. He seems completely normal. I don’t know why the vet said to give 3 units. I feel like an idiot for that. I think I should bump him back tomorrow morning.

8. Wendy&Neko

That's quite a jump from the 51. Norbert might be rather carb sensitive. I'd test again in an hour. Don't feed anything except low carb if he gets meals in that time. The high carb food can wear off in a couple hours so you'll need to check to make sure his numbers don't come down again after that.

SLGS stands for Start LOW Go Slow. Your vet isn't the first nor the last to start out on too high a dose. Thankfully you were testing and caught the low!

9. Norbert’s Mom

Norbert’s Mom Member

Just checked again (+30 minutes) and he’s at 142. I’ll give him an hour and recheck, as you suggested. I’m going to back off his morning dose. I’d rather start somewhat fresh with a lower dose and see how he does.

10. Wendy&Neko

Good call. It's much easier to increase and learn about dosing and how Norbert handles Lantus when his dose is a lower, than a trial by fire with too high a dose.

Norbert’s Mom likes this.
  11. Norbert’s Mom

Norbert’s Mom Member

PMPS +7 Norbert is at 265. The carbs definitely got his glucose up. Next test will be his AMPS and he will get a smaller dose to see how he does now that his body seems to be adjusting.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.