? 8/5 Chandler - ASAP ADVICE!! - AMPS 292 - didn't really eat & haven't given AM shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ashley & Chandler, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Ashley & Chandler

Ashley & Chandler Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-102-3-58-3-5-59-4-74.233112/#post-2605251

We are on the east coast & got hit with a tropical storm yesterday which knocked out our power around 10am & it is not estimated to be back on until tomorrow at noon, so we made the decision to come (with the cats) to my in-laws house like 10 min away last night.

It is just us as they are down the beach, but given the situation, Chandler is a little nervous & came out from under the bed this morning only enough for my to test him & acted like he wanted food, but was distracted & walking around & when I put it down he only ate a few bites. Now he is back hiding under the bed because I think he thinks I'm trying to lure him to put him back in the car, which he is not the biggest fan of.

It's already almost an hour later than his shot should have been & I have not been able to get him out to try to give it, but he also didn't really eat. What should I do here? I know the vet at the beginning had said to only shoot half a dose if he didn't eat/didn't eat well - is that what I should do? Or do I skip it altogether? Or still give the whole dose? I'm just afraid if he's going to be like this & hiding the rest of the day that I won't be able to monitor him properly so I don't want to overdue it.

@Wendy&Neko @Sue and Luci @tiffmaxee

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

If you don't think he will eat much today, you may want to reduce the dose to 3.0 units. However, the depot could still affect his numbers. If you don't feel comfortable shooting under the circumstances, you can skip. He will get back on track.

Also, since you are off schedule, you will need to work your way back to your normal shot time. If you shoot this morning your PMPS will need to be 12 hours from when you shoot. Then you can work your way back starting tomorrow by moving the shot in one 30 min. increment per day or two 15 min. increments per day. Are you able to do that? If you can't, you may want to skip.

Ashley & Chandler likes this.
  3. Ashley & Chandler

Ashley & Chandler Member

Yes, I should be able to get it back down to a normal time by weaning it back within the next couple days. If I can get him to come out with a couple treats, I will give 2.75 so it's just half the dose.

Not sure how dinnertime will go either.

4. carfurby (GA)

Hopefully he will settle down and let you give the insulin and get a couple of tests in today. I hope you get your power back quicker than they estimate and you didn't have any damage from the storm.

5. Ashley & Chandler

Ashley & Chandler Member

He came out for a bit, enough for him to eat a couple treats & a few licks of his food, so I gave him 2.75U. I'm hoping once my husband comes down & starts working like normal he will venture down.

Thank you - yes, I hope we get it back today so we can take them home tonight & get back to our routine, but there were around 30 utility poles down in our area :( but we were very lucky & did not end up with really any damage

6. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad you didn't really have any damage. I hope Chandler relaxes today and eats more.