9/1 Alice AMPS 86 subq fluids success +2 124 +5.4 37 +5.9 84 +8.75 139 PMPS 355

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Sep 1, 2020.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-kidneys-pmps-90-3-7-46-4-3-52-4-9-92.234427/

Yay! I think I managed to get about 90mL into her just a few minutes ago.

AMPS was 86, I shot one half unit and it was at +12.1, hoping sticking to a half unit on these low preshot numbers will work better for us since her appetite is low.

since start of PM cycle last night, she has had maybe about 35% of a can of ziwi lamb (plus Imuquin and fortiflora and potassium gel to encourage feeding) plus the phos binder. It’s not enough and I really would like to see her appetite improve, but glad she is eating at all.

Anyone else ever use the transdermal mirtazapine and notice it takes maybe a couple days to show adequate appetite improvement? Hmm.

I need to give her her antibiotic today too. I was thinking I’d wait maybe an hour so she isn’t getting poked and prodded and forced to ingest all the things all at once. Is Veraflox known to cause tummy discomfort? Perhaps better to give Cerenia first?

Yay fluids! :cool:

2. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Woot woot!

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Housekeeping. Please add Alice’s name to your title. Congrats! The first few times Max got fluids his bg went down. After that not so much of an effect.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for getting fluids done. I hope you can continue to get Alice to eat. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thanks I didn’t even notice! I felt “off” just trying to fill in the title this morning!

6. tiffmaxee

7. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Arg! Hypo again! Should I just take her off insulin completely while she is dealing with the more severe kidney issues?

Anyway, I gave her syrup. Made her lick it off of her food. She’s only gotten down about 35% of a can of ziwi since start of PM. So frustrated. I want her to eat.

Could I find something limited ingredient novel protein that is mid carb, if it will just get her eating? :banghead:

It’s probably the binder. Still need to reach vet and ask.

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Nice work with the fluids! :woot:

9. tiffmaxee

She’s might not have technically earned another reduction but take it. Her new dose is .25. Better some insulin that none. The kidney disease will not be going away so we need to figure out how to manage both. Agree?

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Fully. What I was already thinking. Thanks! :)

11. AliceMeowliss (GA)

139 @ +8.75....

and now, after 20-21 hours of effort, I have only four kibble-sized bites with Imuquin delicately sprinkled upon each one, for miss princess Alice to eat when she finally feels like bothering.... :facepalm: and once she eats that, she will have still only had half a can of ziwi (3.25oz).... that also means half the phosphorous binder for the day because I dosed and dished it out with a much more ambitious attitude about her appetite. :p

She has had her daily Cerenia. She needs her AB and her Mirataz now. And to eat these four teensy little bites. Please, miss? Please?

CBF503EF-E6ED-4495-9E94-988B81D909C9.jpeg

I have been feeding these bite by bite for many hours :coffee:

thebigfuzz likes this.
  12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

A sign of too much phosphorus binder is constipation. Watch out for that.

13. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you!!! That’s *already* a risk for her. Arg! I quit giving the miralax because of her kidneys, too. :arghh:

14. tiffmaxee

Why did you stop Miralax? It’s not bad for kidneys.

15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Dinner tonight she ate a whole 1/10th if a can of ziwi, which this time I followed with a syringed dose of the binder. After some chats on the CKD fb group as well, I will be looking into switching to the powder that is tasteless. I had to put so so much Imuquin on her food to get her to eat. But the food is in her and she is clearly having a bounce so at least I can rest a little more easily.

I’m unclear as to whether or not I should do more fluids tonight but it’s sounding based on the CKD group that this amount of 200mL total in a day is extreme.

I decreased her dose to 0.25, and it was given at +11.9

16. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Because it takes fluids from the rest of your system to soften the bowel. I believe kidney problems are one reason it is perhaps not recommended.

17. tiffmaxee

It’s recommended on tanya’scrf and my vet. Have you seen felineconstipation.org ? I think you are wrong about Miralax.

18. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Yes I was working my way slowly through that one but now I have all this kidney disease info to process.

This tiny bit of miralax was great for Alice in balancing out her bowel movements and making them look a little more comfortable to pass, but the ziwipeak is what made them harder to pass in the first place. But that’s also what helped with her IBD symptoms. But I realize she started having worse possibly-kidney-related symptoms after I started using the miralax. Maybe.

I was trying to do some food research and I just want to bash my head in repeatedly. The Koha kangaroo my friend bought us because I was planning to switch.... two cases... they’re in now waiting for us to get them. And it’s 406mg/100kcal! And she loved it, when she tried it! :arghh: And I’m trying to price the aluminum hydroxide powder because clearly Alice detests this Maalox we were given for binder. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

When I’m this frustrated and I talk about Alice’s problems on one of the Facebook groups, there’s no emoji for smashing my head into a wall. And sometimes I really need it.

19. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Oh my goodness she just ate another tenth of a can. I heated it and I gave her the Maalox after instead of trying to mix it in. I don’t know if it’s because of her high BG or her Mirataz kicking in, I’m so glad she ate a little more easily. I just did the math and she’s had 70% of the can n 26 hours and calorically that amounts to her getting about 25kcal per pound of body weight per day, for her current weight. That’s not bad although her intake still needs to be higher. Oh and I suppose I’m not accounting for her hypo and syrup she got today either.