? 9/1 Kirby AMPS 191 +4 345(alphatrak) Question about feeding

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Staci, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Staci

Staci Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...ak-time-to-increase-dose.234367/#post-2622559

Hi, I have a question about feeding. I've read about TR and am considering going that route. I've read that it is good to feed a cat throughout the day, either several meals per day, or free-feeding when using this method. I can't free-feed because I have dogs who would steal his food. But feeding small meals throughout the day will be workable most days - at least currently, when I'm largely working from home.

My question is, do I also need to avoid feeding Kirby within 2 hours of his scheduled test? I've read that feeding within 2 hours will affect his test result.

I was trying to wait a few hours this morning before his snack, so that I could get an accurate bg test result at +3, but Kirby started begging for food, so I went ahead and fed him just now. Is that OK?

Kirby is still underweight, so I am also trying to help him gain weight.

thanks!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. Picking up the food two hours before is so that the pretest isn’t food related. An example would be this morning. Had he eaten within two before, the pretest might have been higher and you would be thinking he was higher before shooting than he actually was. You can get an auto feeder and have it rotate to empty starting two hours before insulin.
    Also when the pancreas starts to function the bg will drop 2-3 hours after eating.

Oncev you know your cat well tge 2 hour rule isn’t as crucial. It’s one of the myths.

Staci likes this.
  3. Staci

Staci Member

Thanks. I'll look into getting an auto feeder!

I tested him at +4, past 2 hours, and his number has increased to 345 (Alphatrak).

4. tiffmaxee

Many here use the a Petsafe ones.

5. Staci

Staci Member

Thank you! Do they work well for canned food? I guess I would worry that the food would go bad over the course of the day if it isn't chilled.

6. tiffmaxee

Yes. You can put ice in the compartments. I used to feed my cats years ago twice a day and left set food out if not finished. Never had an issue. With fd you want to set it for when you want them to eat so an auto feeder is good. I bought one that I never used with Max because he became deaf. :( I have it in case needed for my young ones.