9/10 - AMPS - HI

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JennC & Diago, Sep 10, 2020.

1. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Previous Post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/debating-on-increasing-lantus-dose.234881/#post-2631460

I'm confused if I'm seeing a bounce from increasing the dose or if it's something else. We confirmed the increase based on using his prior insulin curve and his numbers overall. I know the depot takes a bit of time and maybe I'm calling SOS for no reason but would love input.

SS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kHHtnSW5CYug6orP_uEuw5faqEouShCJlv6uYbVoAhM/edit?usp=sharing

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Which method are you following?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  3. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Slow Go since he eats Dr. Elsey's dry

4. tiffmaxee

Please add that to your signature. He’s definitely not getting too much insulin. He has dropped over 100 points at a time that can trigger a bounce. They bounce with big drops or if they have a lower bg than used to. You just have to let it play out.

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Ok, I've looked over your SS...and I can't see any tests at night. Your SS looks a little odd to me. Are you using the FDMB SS found here?
    HOW TO SET UP FDMB SPREADSHEET: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Secondly, lets try to get your title up to date. If you could please use the format that's been recommended here:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-26-psa-please-read.231511/

You can edit your title today by clicking on the link, a bit to the right of your title and put today's date
    9/10 Diago AMPS ###

I'm seeing some high numbers but that is often to be expected - however I can't see any nighttime numbers...

So let's see if we can get those things in order first - so we can have a better picture of what's going on.

Looks like he was in remission since 2018, right? You could put that on top of your new SS...

We'd love to help, but we need some more info.

Thank you!!

6. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Yes, it should be in my signature already. I wasn't sure since we started the 1u, if we're just in a new dose wonkiness or still filling the depot or if we're just using the wrong dose.

7. tiffmaxee

You aren’t using our ss or it’s not showing for me. I missed the lack of night tests because I don’t see the night part.

8. Sue and Luci

Jenn, this is your signature:
    Diago, 15.5 yo male diagnosed 2/1/18, Novolin-n, OTJ on 2/24/18, Relion Glucometer. Back on insulin 12/17/2018, OTJ 12/27/18. Back on Novolin N 8/28/2020. Switched to Lantus on 9/4/20.
    Insulin Spreadsheet Diet, Dr. Elsey's Chicken Dry and Fancy Feast Chicken Pate

You may want to pare down the history - to say he was in remission until 12/18; Lantus/ SLGS, food info...Relion...

9. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Yes, this is the same spreadsheet but I've modified only a little to accommodate urine output, drinking, eating, and comments. I have a few columns hidden so I can see all of the columns on my PC.

I haven't been getting the night time numbers but will start getting a before bed reading starting tonight.

I'll update my title here. Yes, he went into remission in 2018 after only a few weeks of insulin. I think the diabetes was brought on by steroid injections and once those got out of his system and we made the food change, he went into remission.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. tiffmaxee

Your modifications replace the night columns for me.

11. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

It's the same, there are columns hidden. I will unhide them. Unless the SS changed from 2018, it should be the same.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  12. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

I unhid those columns, it should look right now for you

13. tiffmaxee

Much better. Now it’s obvious you only have half of the puzzle. Get a before bed test every night and once in a while in addition to doing the curves I would set a alarm for a mid cycle at night. Many drop then. Max did. Just ask JaxBenji or just look at that ss. Thanks for unblocking.

14. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Okay, will do. I was afraid I might not have enough info for any help at this point. I also updated my signature here, let me know if that helps.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Sue and Luci

Thank you! Much better for me as well.

The nighttime numbers are critical as part of the whole picture.

As Elise said, please get at least a test before going to bed.

Any thoughts about switching to TR? I'd love to see you speed up those dose increases to bring those numbers down.

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cats don't bounce from an increased dose. They bounce if they see numbers lower than they are used to, or do a fast drop.

Since Diago started back on insulin, I see one night test, and that was on Novolin N, not Lantus. We determine how to change the dose based on how low the dose is taking the cat. Many cats go lower at night, hence the importance of a before bed test each and every night. If you see a big drop from PMPS to the before bed test, then a mid cycle test may be a good idea.

SLGS requires that you hold the dose for 7 days. Keep holding the dose for 4 more days and try to get those night time tests in. It's entirely possible he needs a higher dose. Novolin got him to blues on 1.5 units. He got up to 2 units his first brief time on insulin. But it's hard to tell without night time data. It's possible (not probable) that he's going low at night and dropping during the day.

JennC & Diago and Sue and Luci like this.
  17. Sue and Luci

Excellent! Thank you!!

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Not as long as dry food is in the picture.

19. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

@Wendy&Neko, I will for sure get night time tests over the next several days and follow up with the group on how he's doing. Since it's Thursday, I should be able to get a later test this weekend to see how he's doing. Thank you all! I think I'm straight for now. :) I'll post a new thread in a few days unless we see anything out of the ordinary.

Panic likes this.
  20. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

PMPS was HI, +2 was 572 :(

21. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You can post every day if you like, most people on the L&L forum do. Add the previous day's thread link to the new one and just keep going. :cat: Someone may have advice before 7 days have passed.
    Good job with tonight's night test, hopefully he'll clear those higher numbers soon.

JennC & Diago likes this.