9/14 Willy is home.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Peg and Toby, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

When I got Willy at the humane society I noticed he was having a hard time to poop. They were also very large.
    He hadn't pooped for a few days and I was giving him Miralax and olive oil. So I took him to the vets today and found out that he has Megacolon. The vet kind of hinted that where We had not had him for very long that we should put him down. Said We had been through so much with Toby that we should really think it over before we took on another sick cat. We choose to have him cleaned out and are going to try and manage it with Miralax and diet. She thinks he should be on a high fiber diet but everything I read calls for a low fiber diet. At this point I just don't know if I can go through all the stress of having another sick cat. I guess we will just have to see how it goes.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad you decided to treat Willy and give him a chance. Best Of Luck to you.

Peg and Toby and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Oh Peg! I am so sorry! I wish the best for you, DH and Willy!!!

Peg and Toby likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I bet there's a support group out there for his issue.... There's pretty much a group for everything. I don't know much about that disorder but I hope it can be managed.

Peg and Toby likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I have always found pumpkin helps my cat with constipation. Put a spoonful of it in each meal. (Canned with no spices)

Peg and Toby likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sure there must be a group out there. Will raw or home cooked food help? I don't know about this will have to research it.

Peg and Toby likes this.
  7. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of hugs....:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Peg and Toby likes this.
  8. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Well, darn. Seems so unfair. I know there are cats up the sanctuary with mega colon, but I never worked with any of them. But I'm sure you can find some boards, or groups who can offer lots of experienced wisdom. For you Peg and your DH, :bighug::bighug::bighug:. For Willy, vines and vines and vines.

Marilyn and Polly

Peg and Toby likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Peg))) So sorry you have another "issue" cat to deal with. :bighug::bighug: I know he's in the best and most loving of homes. We've had other kitties on here with megacolon, it's more common in manxes and some acros get it too. Good question on the raw food. That produces less and thinner poops that might be processed easier.

Peg and Toby likes this.
  10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Willy has megacolon. I hope you can treat it easily. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Peg and Toby likes this.
  11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about Willy's diagnosis, but I couldn't agree more about giving him a chance. You were chosen to take care of him because you will always make all the best decisions for him....he's a lucky boy to have you on his side!

Peg and Toby likes this.
  12. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Peg, I'm so very sorry. I hope you and DH can help Willy and it doesn't overwhelm you with stress. Sending mega vines and prayers to you all :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Peg and Toby likes this.
  13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Peg,
    I hope that Willy will respond to treatment. Do you know the Feline Constipation website? http://www.felineconstipation.org
    There is lots of good info. there, but apparently megacolon is beyond the scope of the topics discussed there. There is also a megacolon page: http://rxforcats-ivil.tripod.com/megacolon.html This might be worth looking in to.

Some of the kitties here on FDMB have also had megacolon. I'll do some searching and get back to you tomorrow.

Meanwhile, we are sending lots of vines for Willy and no-stress vines for you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ella & Rusty

p.s. I remembered that Ann's Maggie had megacolon. @Ann & Maggie11 (GA) . Perhaps she will have some advice for you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Peg and Toby likes this.
  14. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

If you don't already give Willy probiotics I would recommend them. I give Fritz Renew Life Ultimate with 25 billion along with plenty of water in his raw food. I only ocassionally have to give him a tiny bit of Miralax.
    Praying for you and Willy:bighug::bighug:

Peg and Toby likes this.
  15. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:Hoping you can help Willy out with just a diet change.:bighug::bighug: He sure found 2 very caring beans and is good hands. Wishing the best and sending vines for little Willy.

Peg and Toby likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Oh Peg, I'm so sorry. There is a yahoo megacolon group. That is one thing I haven't dealt with (big anti jinx). I do't know but perhaps felineconstipation.org might be of help.:bighug::bighug:

Peg and Toby likes this.
  17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Peg))) I am so very, very sorry to hear this. Poor little Willy but also you because I totally understand that after so much heavy duty caregiving, it’s hard to think of having to do it again. I don’t remember but is he a manx?

Sending you many hugs and prayers that you can find a treatment that helps him have a good quality and long life. I also wonder if you should get a second opinion......

Peg and Toby likes this.
  18. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I hadn't caught up that you had a new edition to the family. I'm sorry you're having issues already. I was thinking @Ann & Maggie11 (GA) might be able to help too. I think she was able to manage Maggie's mega colon pretty well. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Peg so sorry to hear about Willy's diagnosis.
    I hope you manage to find a treatment that works for him.

Peg and Toby likes this.
  20. Peg and Toby

They got Willy cleaned out and he passed some poop on his own but they want to keep him till tomorrow to see how he is doing. He has made his self right at home there. Probably thinks he is back at the humane society. I went back to see him and he was having a lunch. He did seem glad to see me though.

21. Marje and Gracie

Many more prayers for sweet Willy, Peg.

Peg and Toby likes this.
  22. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Peg))) So sorry you have this diagnosis for dear Willy, sending vines that you can keep him comfortable and a continuing good QOL. :bighug:

Peg and Toby likes this.
  23. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Here's the section on digestive issues from the "Where Can I find?" thread:

Punkin had some signs of megacolon - he had child-sized stools but he didn't have constipation issues. I added water to his food (like most people do) and he did ok with it.

I also would encourage you to start probiotics right away. When we got the kittens after Punkin passed away, McGee had constipation issues and tiny stools. Wendy posted that link about probiotics and I got Renew Life Colon Care - which has 80,000 CFU per capsule. I started out giving splitting a capsule between all 3 of my cats, once a day, then worked up to giving one capsule daily to McGee. He was really the only one with problems. Gave him that amount for 2 months, then we've dropped back to one capsule every other day. I plan to keep giving him that amount. I just open up the capsule and mix it with his food.

We also give a tiny pinch of ground flax seed from my DH's supply in the fridge. When I say tiny, I mean tiny, too. Just a few tiny bits. Jane/Boo posted a cautionary link about it, but that was specifically about flax seed that wasn't people-quality. I don't think there is any issue with it if you are buying people flax meal. We buy Spectrum brand at the natural food stores - it's refrigerated.

Between these 2 things, McGee's constipation is gone and his poop is normal cat-looking. It's been an amazing improvement.

So glad to see you, Peg, and hear you've got a new little buddy. I don't think that mega-colon is an issue that is beyond help. :bighug::bighug:

24. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Peg}}}

I have no suggestions, but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you all and sending vines for Willy. He is very blessed to have you and your DH for his beans. I think Toby sent him to you because he knew you would take care of him
    . :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Peg and Toby likes this.
  25. Olive & Paula

Have you tried this group they have some people with megacolon kitties. www.Ibdkitties.net. They have a FB page.

26. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Peg,
    I had a pm from Carla & Furball and also Amy & Trixie on your adorable kitty Willie. I'm so sorry he has Megacolon but glad to hear you're giving him a chance. I hope your Vet will work with you on helping Willie. It sounds like your Vet is concerned for you since you've already been thru so much. Is Willie a Manx by any chance? I managed Maggie's Megacolon disease, along with her diabetes, chronic renal disease, and high blood pressure. She was very docile and sweet which helped. She passed away three years ago, but it was the renal disease that got her.

You've already gotten a lot of good help I can see from the above posts. The website Ella & Rusty mentioned is excellent, and Julie & Pumpkin with the probiotics. Also the group from Woodyswife.

Maggie was on Miralax at first. Then we tried Lactulose which didn't seem to help. She was then on Cisapride which seemed to be the one that helped. I tried pumpkin also mixed in with her food. I did take her in a few times for enemas at the Vet's office and left her for the day. The first time I took her in she came home acting like she had been to a spa. The enemas were hard on her later with her age and also other medical issues. I also had her on fluids which helps. If I can answer any more questions, I'd love to support. Sending lots of prayers and vines for you and Willie. He is very lucky to have you, no coincidence there.

27. Peg and Toby

Willy is home. Now the fun begins trying to learn what to do and not to do. I want to thank everyone for your help and support. It means a lot as you all know when your dealing with a sick cat. The vet thinks we caught it early so that we will be able to manage it.
    Hugs to you all,:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Willy is home. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Willy is home and that it was caught early. Sending lots of vines and prayers that you find a way to manage it without too many issues. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

30. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Good news that Willy is home. He is one lucky kitty.

Hugs and scritches,

Ella & Rusty

31. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I'm sure he'll feel better just being home. You always have us, Peg! :bighug:

32. Olive & Paula

So glad he is home. As they say there no place like home.

33. Gussie's mom (GA)

Happy Willie is home with you again. Sending hugs to you as you learn how to manage his diagnosis and calm colon vines to him! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

34. Marje and Gracie

I’m glad Willy is home and I hope you can find a similar support group to this one that can help you figure out the next steps.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Just catching up with what happened to Willy. I am glad he is home. What a lucky boy to have you.
    Sending a plane load of vines to Willy.

36. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yay for being home!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.