9.17.21 OT. Tux is coming home

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olive & Paula, Sep 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

My boy is coming home this afternoon. His story is in https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mewsletter-trips-labs-in.252434/#post-2848705, scroll down to #34. (Forgot how to link). The IM called me and first thing she says is Tux is a lover. "Anytime someone walks by he is sticking his foot out for pets". I forgot to tell them he will nip you (love bites) for scritches and attention. She tells me "he is getting plenty of both. Anytime someone has a free minute, they are there cuddling him. He has been great for their stress level. He is a welcomed break from the tragic cases and extremely ill animals they are seeing." Who would have thought I have a " therapy cat". Although he did adopted PJ so fast and took on the big brother protection role in a matter of minutes.

Anyway, she said his first labs had an alarming liver value. I think she said the ALT was over 1700. And bilirubin was elevated. Today although still elevated its in the 800s. So I ask what that is and she said liver, gallbladder and the pancreatitis. I don't know how the pancreatitis was done. Probably SNAP since there wasn't time to send it out and before the ultrasound was done. Ultrasound confirmed pancreatitis.

He will come home on bupre, mirtz (though he is eating), cerenia. Thankfully I have all in house from Tripper (RIP my baby). Anyway do you know cerenia comes in among others TRANSDERMAL? So I called primary and they got some of his records already and I asked them to order the transdermal because it will take time to get it. In meantime I will do what I can to get the pill or liquid I have in him.

And since he can't have clavamox, I agreed to convenia. Normally I will not allow it for any of my cats. Paws crossed for no issues with it.

I want to know why Tux is now the 4th I've had with pancreatitis. What is it in my house causing this? IM actually said in her opinion FF is a good quality OTC food. My cats are getting some lines of Purina food but I wonder...........

He's coming home!!!!!!!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Paula I just came across your posts, I'm so happy Tux is coming home today, he sounds like such a sweetheart. I hope he starts to feel better . I'm glad you have everything you need for Tux for when he comes home. Give him kisses for me Paula ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Fantastic Tux is coming home. Sorry about the pancreatitis.

4. Olive & Paula

Tux is home.

Final dx pancreatitis, gallbladder infection and enteritis.

I had already call primary vet to watch for reports from ER. And to ask Dr to order the cerenia transdermal so it can start being prepared. On drive home primary Dr called me, he called Wedgewood (amazing how much they can do with just about any medication) and he said he got the nicest pharmacist ever and they worked it out to get an appropriate dose in syringe. Within 20 minutes wedgewood contacts me to finalize order.

Tux ate 3/4 small can of food when he got home. If this is normal, then he had not been feeling to well for some time. It's hard to gauge food in this house because husband is constantly putting little bits of food in bowls all the time. I try to keep on a schedule, when I go to feed them husband says I just fed them, he doesn't measure it out in any fashion to know what he is giving them.

Veterinary is really bad here as far as getting seen. Vet told me they had a dog with brain tumor that needed MRI. He said Cornell even turned them away as there was no one to do it. He said Cornell never does that.

5. Olive & Paula

I asked Dr. why so much pancreatitis in my house, is it the food causing this? He replied "it use to be way back when it rare for animals to have it" Then he goes on, there was no testing available, no way to know it was even a possibility as "animals don't get it". But now they have tests they can do and finding its actually common condition now. There is really no way to know what causes it.

I did for warn him, I want to be aggressive with treating. I don't want treatment to stop to early. If we think Tux is fine, I want to continue meds longer to make sure. I don't know how or what is used to monitor but we need some way to.

6. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I’ve read a few recent papers on pancreatitis that have said that way more cats have pancreatitis than was previously thought, based on autopsies they performed and also new diagnostic techniques. I know when Sophie kept getting sick, I had two different vets tell me there was no way she had pancreatitis, that it was super rare in cats. I had to twist their arm to do the specFPL that showed, what do you know, she has chronic pancreatitis :rolleyes:

Perhaps it also has to do with the attitude on cat ownership changing and more cats living longer and living inside, so it’s more noticeable. I know when I was growing up, we had indoor/outdoor cats and they would just disappear for days at a time, who knew what they were doing or if they were sick or whatever else. Now whenever Sophie so much as blinks wrong, I’m watching her like a hawk!

Glad to hear Tux is home and eating a little, and hopefully he continues to improve :bighug:

7. Olive & Paula

I know, they sneeze and I'm watching and listening , constantly checking on them.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so glad Tux is home with you. What a relief!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.