9/18 Snuggie: Update and request for vacation dose / SS Review

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jay Dee, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Hi everyone!

it’s been a while since I posted and Snuggie has been doing great! Pooping normally, acting normally (even got some lap time the other morning).

he’s really seemed to settle in well at his current dose of 9.5 - we have a low number here or there then he bounces then we don’t see numbers below his reduction point of 70 for quite a few cycles. So I think for now this is his happy dose!

I’m requesting a ss review for a vacation dose to start 9/23. I’ll have family in town and don’t want to worry if we aren’t home from our day trips at nadir o’clock, and I don’t want to look like the crazy person waking up at 5am LOL! I’ll also be gone for a few cycles leaving my husband in charge and don’t want him to be freaking out about testing and hypo etc. I’m thinking 9u 2x daily since I don’t want him to have to be in between lines. Or maybe I could do 9.25 then just drop it to 9 for when hubs will be with him?

thanks in advance!

last post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-6-snuggie-pmps-521-ambg-175-furshot.252560/#post-2849486

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think your plan sounds fine. The only question In my mind is whether the depot will cause some carry over for a few cycles. I'm tagging @Wendy&Neko so she can weigh in. (She's likely to going to get back to you until early next week, though.)

Would. your husband be willing to post here if he can't get hold of. you?

I do have one thought regarding Snuggle's spreadsheet. When you're starting on a lower pre-shot, you may want to get a +2 or +3 test. I think there's a possibility that you may have missed a dose reduction when you're getting a lower green number at +6. Even if your cat's nadir is mostly at +6, nadirs can and do move around.

Jay Dee likes this.
  3. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Thank you! I usually get a +1 when doing a lower pre shot and the other day I had to run out, but will start looking at the +2 or +3.

i can start the vacation dose a day or two early so we know how he’ll respond.

Hubs will be able to get in touch with me for guidance and I can post here if needed. It’ll only be 4 cycles and I can start that a cycle or two early to drain the depot.

thx for the feedback and I’ll be curious to Wendy’s suggestion!

Suzanne & Darcy and tiffmaxee like this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Jill. I’m glad Snuggie is doing so great! Enjoy the family time.

Jay Dee likes this.
  5. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Thank you! Yes if you didn’t know he’s got all this going on, you’d think he was a healthy kitty!

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd start his reduction to 9.0 unit tonight. That'll give you a few days to drain the larger depot and see how he behaves on his vacation dose.

As for early tests when you shoot low, I'd experiment to see if +2 tells you anything. With Levemir and later onset, it might not, or it might. I'd at least get a +4.

Jay Dee and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

And that’s the best news ever! Still, you can’t fool us here on the Board… we know you are the “crazy person waking up at 5 a.m.” ;):p

Jay Dee likes this.
  8. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Thanks @Wendy&Neko! We started 9.0 tonight. Fingers crossed he does well on it!

hahah @Suzanne & Darcy yeaaa I’m working on getting more/better sleep but I gotta work his crazy lows in there!

9. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

@Wendy&Neko whar am I looking for at pre nadir BG tests at +4?

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If +4 is around his onset, and he's dropped a lot from preshot that'll be a more active cycle that needs extra monitoring, or monitoring earlier in the cycle. Once you have a few +4 tests, in addition to your later mid cycle ones, you'll be able to tell if +4 is a predictor of more active cycles.

Jay Dee likes this.
  11. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Thank you Wendy! I’ll be bumping his shot time back a little while family is here so I’ll grab a few +4. Altho we just changed dose so I’m expecting some wonkiness for a day or so!

ETA: Just thinking, once we get past the vacation dose and I’m getting him back to his regular dose, I should do a curve. I haven’t done one in a while.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021