9/19, Susie, 221 AMPS, 228 @+2, 175 @+3

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Sep 19, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Summer and Susie (GA)

I don't think we have one around here.

3. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

How much does Susie weigh and how many calories does she need per day? Bama weighs 15.2 and probably should weigh around 12. His heaviest [20 lbs.] was 5+ years ago shortly after he became indoor only. He has dropped about a lb. over the past year. I'm trying to keep his calorie intake around 233 and probably need to change the way I feed. His two big meals are after preshots and I could possibly make them smaller and his snack meals more frequent or a little bigger. When he was on Novolin, the vet's advice was make sure he had a good meal in him before his shots and not feed between meals. Lots to consider on this journey.

DexterMeowgan likes this.
  4. Summer and Susie (GA)

Last time I weighed Susie she was 13.28 lbs. She had dropped .12 oz in 3 weeks and I was concerned. This was back on 8/31. She was over 15 lbs. when she was first diagnosed with FD in Dec. 2020. I need to weigh her again.

Vet first told me that he wanted her down to 10 lbs. but I feel that is too little. She is not a small cat. I would like to see her at 12 lbs. As far as calories, I think I wanted about 180 a day. I don't remember how I got to that number but it was based on her current weight, at the time, and what I wanted her weight to be. The two cans of Fancy Feast, a day, can be anywhere from 160 to 190 something. You may be giving too many calories but I am not the one to advise and you definitely want the weight to come off slowly. Susie's two big meals are also after preshots. She gets about 1.5 oz at those meals and .75 oz for her other four, small meals a day. She is not eating her late night food anymore. I think Bama should have small meals in between preshots. They say to try not to feed after nadir and also don't feed two hours before preshot. Maybe @Bandit's Mom can advise. We might also consult with @tiffmaxee.

5. DexterMeowgan

DexterMeowgan Member

I feed my cat 4x a day, dividing his two meals into 4 in an auto feeder. He gets less hunger pangs that way and enjoys his favorite activity twice as often, at least. LOL.

Seems to make no overall difference in BG readings, and lets them eat at night/mid-day so their body can stay more steadily fueled.

@Summer and Susie Exactly. I personally don't feed within 3 hours of shots/tests, to let it completely clear the system, and if they're a bigger cat like Dexter 12-13 lbs should be the goal which according to the calculator I used was around 230-260 calories IIRC depending on treats :)

https://petnutritionalliance.org/cat.php

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Susie keeps sliding down and surfs today.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  7. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Afternoon Summer, nice to see those blues again, I hope you all have a good day and Susie stays blue and maybe some high greens in there :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

Maybe I haven't been feeding enough up until this point. Right now, she is not interested in all the food I put down for her.

10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Okay, I have a question for all of you that might happen to drop by. I believe Susie is somewhat nauseous. I have Cerenia tablets but don't want to stick pills down her throat with her swallowing issues. I have also heard that Ondansetron is a good anti-nausea. Can either one of these medications be compounded to a liquid which is tasty enough to mix in their food? I will be seeing the vet tomorrow for my pup but think I need to pursue this.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  11. Pamela & Amethyst

I believe Zofran can(Ondosteron) I would not try pilling her either POOR Baby:( I give Amethyst and JoJo Homeo Pet Drops for Feline Digestive Upsets They are colorless,odorless,tasteless drops that can be put into water food or snacks It is a Homeopathic Remedy that has worked well for both of them, homeopet.com Healing hugs and prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Pamela. I will talk to my vet about the Ondosteron tomorrow but will look at the Pet Drops you are referring to. What is the name if I want to do a search?

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hey Summer this might be what
    @Pamela & Amethyst is talking about is it Pamela?
    https://www.homeopet.com/product/feline-digestive-upsets/

I see it a lot cheaper from other places I just googled
    Homeo Pet Drops for Feline Digestive Upsets and a lot of other places have it

14. Pamela & Amethyst

What Diane has is right:)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  15. Pamela & Amethyst

16. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you Diane. I will really look into it tomorrow. Looks like I get to go to sleep right now at 7:45 pm (what a treat for me since I used to go to bed at 7:00 before Susie's diagnosis) . Susie came up quite a bit from PMPS and I have been waiting for a night when I didn't have to get a +3 or a +5 (prayerfully). Susie is not vomiting nor does she have diarrhea, flatulence or gas. She just doesn't act like she is hungry at times. Anyway, thank you both. I'll look tomorrow and enjoy my early evening in bed. :)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  17. Acadaca

Acadaca Member

I am glad you will be getting some sleep. I hope Susie gets over her nausea.