9/2 Max OTJ trial, Day 4 (edited); PMBG 77, AMBG 144/135. +2.5 129. +6 90 (he dropped!)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rebecca & Max (GA), Sep 2, 2020.

1. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

9/1 post
    Max is trying to kill me, lol! I got the 144 read and immediately retested him- 135. He got fed around 3:45 AM, and then nothing until I gave him food at 9 AM (DH is failing with his AM feeds so I can sleep more :arghh:). Delayed his AMBG test until a bit after 11 AM because I was afraid he’d be high. He was still high. :banghead:

Against my better judgement, I fed Max some of Weruva’s TruLux Kowa Booty at 9 AM, because my daughter had opened it to see if our elderly dog would eat some (don’t ask...he’s not eating much :(). That was a new food for Max, but still 5% carbs, which is with in his usual 3-6%.

Fed him his usual food after his test and will retest in a few hours. Paws crossed he comes back down. Trying not to obsess over numbers but this is all new to me, and not sure when to worry.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If he fails the OTJ trial, you just go back on insulin for awhile longer! It's not the end of the world. Max wouldn't be the first to have to try it more than once before it "stuck"!

Rebecca & Max (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. Rebecca & Max (GA)

If he keeps going up, is that the fail? Or could he drop and then keep going up? I’m just not sure how I know it’s a fail....I assume his levels will continue to rise and not come down with food, right?
    And yes, it’s okay if he’s not ready yet...the suspense is what I hate.

4. Rebecca & Max (GA)

I waited 2.5 hours to retest him after feeding. He dropped a tiny bit, but not much, IMO. Test again in an hour and see if he’s drops more? Or just wait until tonight’s PMBG test and see where he’s at?

At what point do I call it a failed attempt at OTJ?
    And if he goes back on insulin, what dose do I shoot?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cats are notorious for freaking own their caregivers by giving blues during OTJ trial. Take a deep breath. :bighug: You can test in a hour and see how he goes, plus get that PMBG test too.

We call it a fail if their numbers trend up and don't come down. You'd go back on that drop dose to start.

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Silly boy!

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Silly boy!

8. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Thank you! I’m really trying NOT to freak out, lol. I mean, it is what it is. If he’s ready, great, if not, great...he’ll get there. It’s odd, I think I’m having withdrawals from NOT testing! :joyful:
    I just wasn’t sure if it was simply as him being over 100 for more than a few reads to equate a fail. He was 77 last night!! And then 144 this morning. Seriously?? And yes, silly boy!!!o_O

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

He may still come back down to greens. I'd wait and see what tonight and tomorrow bring.

10. Wendy&Neko

Totally common. You'd be amazed how many interventions we have to do during OTJ trials. The trial is for the cat, but also the caregiver/tester. :p

11. Rebecca & Max (GA)

:joyful:

12. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Happy to report Max was 90 @+6

carfurby (GA) and Butters & Lyla like this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Woohoo! Go Max!:D