9/21 Jax PMPS 88,+2 80,+3 84

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JaxBenji, Sep 21, 2020.

1. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yesterday

I too sometimes miss the beach :cool: Now back to the greens, Jax :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful start to the week!

2. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The weather must not have been so nice at the beach. No swimming with the sharks please.

4. JaxBenji

Lol it's like he did a cannon ball back into the lagoon. This is his pancreas working though, right? It just could not be so drastic about it if that's what it is :)

5. tiffmaxee

I think so. Do you have any idea what led to him becoming diabetic? No steroids and not overweight right?

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  6. JaxBenji

I have no idea. He did have a vet visit like two weeks prior to dx - had rabies shot and medicine for his ears as they were gunky - OTI-PACK?. They also gave me T8 Keto Ear Flush to clean his ears...but I haven't used it.

7. tiffmaxee

8. JaxBenji

Woah really? And his body just freaked out? Interesting. Also, his ears have been gunk-free this whole time on insulin. Would I just ask for ear drops next time?

9. tiffmaxee

You want something steroid free. I’ve been wondering why cats end up diabetic Other than those that are obese or other health issues. The infection and the steroid were likely the cause and why he has a very good shot at remission. How long was he on it?

10. JaxBenji

They just did a one-time dose at the office and said it lasted two weeks. And then we were at the ER vet ~2 weeks later for lethargy and not eating...I believe his BG was 150 at the vet (he's fractious) and 500 at the ER. ER dx was UTI and diabetes.

11. tiffmaxee

I wonder why some become diabetic from steroids but not others. I had a cat that the vets didn’t know what was wrong with her and just kept her in prednisolone. She never became diabetic. Turned out it was cancer. I don’t know Where it originated but the night before I lost her she was vomiting and the ER took X-rays. Sent me to my vet the next morning. It was lung cancer. She ate until that night. Three vets had seen her and didn’t figure it out. But no diabetes. Other cats one shot and diabetic.

12. JaxBenji

Ugh gut wrenching :bighug: Are all animals this complex? It's so perplexing how different cats react and show disease though I suppose the argument could be made for other species, including humans.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  13. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Jax being given a steroid is a pretty big revelation! It's so great that you have a likely cause as to why he developed it. :bighug:
    I had a cat with colitis that was treated with prednisone for almost his entire life (16 years), ate prescription dry food, and never developed diabetes. Butters has never had a steroid, always perfect weight, and always fed a LC diet of raw or canned food. I will probably never know why she developed it.

Looks like Jax got sick of the beach pretty quick! Back to his regular spot in the lagoon. :cool:
    Enjoy the rest of your day!

Kyle & Simon (GA) and JaxBenji like this.
  14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

JaxBenji likes this.
  15. JaxBenji

So interesting! I’m pretty sure he’s had that ear medicine before but I was just reading cats may tolerate steroids at first and then not (because cats lol). And yes Jax jumped right to the lagoon! Kinda close to sharks but he backed off. I saw butters getting realllly close to them! Have a wonderful day Lyla!

16. JaxBenji

Thanks Carla! I am saving this! And interestingly enough his ears are so clean right now - all the testing means I’m wiping them more but I don’t even see the usual gunk deeper down.