9/24 Herman amps 61 +2 67 +4 52 +6 61 +7 61 +8 92 +12 52 stall, advice?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy & Herman, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Amy & Herman

Amy & Herman Well-Known Member

Amps 76, stall 15 min, got mixed readings (40, 65) will retest again in 15 and shoot (usual dose, not increase) if raising.

yesterday

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Angela & Cleo likes this.
  2. Amy & Herman

:nailbiting:My lowest preshot… by far. :D Hope I did the right thing. Stalled 1 hour, after initial drop @+0.15 he seemed stable without food (but no significant rise which made me nervous). I reread the sticky’s…. He does tend to have a late nadir so it does say I need to learn to shoot low. :nailbiting:

3. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Congratulations on shooting your first :D!
    Part of you had to know Herman was going to do something, you have plans today lol.:p

4. Amy & Herman

Oh I know. His timing is impeccable :confused:

5. Amy & Herman

A little nervous about a +2 at 67. Not much wiggle room. Cancelled plans. If someone could chime in with wether I should be doing lc or mc I would really appreciate the input.

@Mandy & Rex (GA) @Angela & Cleo @Bandit's Mom

6. Angela & Cleo

That +2 is flat with your AMPS. What did you feed to get the bump up if 88 @+1?
    ECID. Cleo will usually surf on middle or higher end LC (8%) at 1tsp every hour. What does Herman usually do? What will make you feel more comfortable?

7. Amy & Herman

Flat low green from pre-amps to +3 is unchartered territory for me, usually he’d have bounced up by now. I know mid-cycle he can be controlled with 12%. I’ve not had a green pre onset yet. I guess today will be a good learning experience.

8. Angela & Cleo

Lantus works best at keeping lower numbers low and typically there is less dramatic diving in greens. You cancelled your plans, you can monitor and feed to keep him safe!

9. Amy & Herman

Yes. +4 is :eek: 52 (confirmed with 2 tests, first time I’ve ever gotten the exact same number twice in a row so I’m grateful for that certainty). He’s very hungry…trying not to let him have too much so I can keep bumping him up.:nailbiting:

10. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

You are my hero. I would have been scared to death!:nailbiting:

11. Angela & Cleo

You're doing great! What did you feed? It's for future reference :)

Amy & Herman likes this.
  12. Amy & Herman

Scared me too but I had to make a call and all I could do is refer to the sticky. I’m also desperate to turn around his neuropathy which is getting worse by the day. That said, hind sight is 20/20 and I’m not sure I made the right call. It’s going to be a long day.

13. Amy & Herman

15 mixed with 25 (never cracked in to the 25 before). Feeling pretty anxious but putting on a brave face in front of Herm. Thankfully he came inside and is in his bed for a nap so I dont have to search him out around the farm for each test for the next hour or so.

14. Angela & Cleo

Friendly reminder...all those numbers are SAFE! :bighug:

15. Karen and Chispa

That's what the stickies are for. Today will be a learning experience. Herman is full of surprises ... he might surprise you with a string of level numbers as a reward for canceling your plans!:cool: Whatever happens, I know you'll keep him safe.:cat::bighug:

Amy & Herman likes this.
  16. Amy & Herman

Thanks, I need to keep hearing that! :bighug: +4.5 79 so got a significant bump from the mc/hc mix. This time I did not feed, will check in half an hour and if it’s dropped a bit lower than I’m comfortable with again I’ll try bumping with just 15%.

17. Amy & Herman

Herman! Listen to Karen! And yes….I will keep my boy safe, whatever it takes. :kiss:

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  18. Angela & Cleo

May I ask what that "comfortable" number is?
    So True! :bighug:

19. Amy & Herman

I was thinking if he was heading back down again vs up (so under 4.4) I’d do 15% and if he was under 3.6 I’d do 25% as we are still a couple hours away from his typical nadir. Too carby?

20. Amy & Herman

Whoops forgot to convert :

I was thinking if he was heading back down again vs up (so under 79/4.4) I’d do 15% and if he was under 65/3.6 I’d do 25% as we are still a couple hours away from his typical nadir. Too carby?

21. Angela & Cleo

You may or may not see substantial BG movement in 30mins from the last test. Every cycle is a learning experience. Not a criticism, I was just curious :)

ETA...all those numbers are still safe :cat:

Amy & Herman likes this.
  22. Amy & Herman

He’s at 85 @+5 and fast asleep. I’ll leave him alone as I think he’s heading up, it’s been 1 hour since food. Will test in half hour/45 min or so and feed him then.

23. Angela & Cleo

Excellent And Great Job! Is that next test for Herman or for you;)?

24. Amy & Herman

For me. I’m here, didn’t go anywhere :confused: so I’ll track him until usual nadir or he starts bouncing so that I can fill out the spreadsheet and reference it for out next green preshot. :p:D Also he had gotten hc at +4 I’m curious if that’s still artificially inflating his BG. Is there a standard amount of time a food bump influences a number after fed or is it another ecid.. :bookworm: I feel like a scientist.

25. Angela & Cleo

I've been searching the stickies to find this answer but to no avail. I seem to remember ECID BUT generally HC wet lasts about 2 hours. Don't quote me. My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be lol.

Amy & Herman likes this.
  26. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh boy... my stomach kept jumping around as I read post after post... great job riding the greens, Amy! You're my hero :D

27. Amy & Herman

+6 61 fed just tsp 15% …

28. Amy & Herman

My stomach jumping around too. :confused:

29. Amy & Herman

It’s one of those things that I think I’ve read but can’t find for the life of me but his +6 is lower than +5 :eek:so I think it affected him about 1.5 hours. If it even works that way…his nadir is late so who knows what number he’d be at without mc and hc.

30. Angela & Cleo

Look at it this way....its a GORGEOUS stretch of greens:D!

31. Amy & Herman

True :D:D:D:D, I am curious though, given today and the amount of intervention, would I shoot that low again? Or is it all circumstantial as in if I can do what I have been doing today and constantly monitor him, go ahead and shoot, otherwise no shoot?

32. Karen and Chispa

Isn't it, though?? Good boy, Herman! :D:bighug:

Amy & Herman and Angela & Cleo like this.
  33. Karen and Chispa

If I had to guess, that's exactly what I would do. Very curious to see what the experts say though!

@Bandit's Mom @tiffmaxee @Diane Tyler's Mom

Amy & Herman likes this.
  34. Amy & Herman

72 @ +6.5 not a huge bump from the 15%. If he drops further at +7 I think I’ll do 15|25% mix (did not feed @+6.5)

35. Angela & Cleo

Long Stretches of Green are ideal! Safe and HEALING numbers are 50-80 on a human meter. Interesting question you ask about shooting low again.
    TR Protocol (proven over and over again to be safe and effective at getting kitties regulated, aid in the healing of neuropathy and more) says shoot over 50.

I think that the real questions are (1)how comfortable are you with Herman in greens? (2) What green number has you panicking for the MC/HC? (3) How comfortable are YOU with him earning a reduction by dropping under 50 per TR?

ECID. The general rule of thumb that I've seen posted before and use for myself is:
    "Here's my handy dandy cheat sheet for feeding the curve and testing during low numbers:
    60 or higher: LC (0-10% carb) + test in an hour
    50-59 : MC (11-15% carb) + test every 30 minutes
    49 or below: HC (>16% carb) + test every 15-20 minutes and then for two hours after the lowest number appeared until they start going up"

I'm very curious what the more experienced members think about feeding the curve. @Bandit's Mom @tiffmaxee

36. Amy & Herman

+7 61 (after what I have to hope was a bad strip showing 45) so fed mc/hc mix.

37. Amy & Herman

That is SO useful. Ima gonna stick it in my spreadsheet. Thanks.
    I feel like I’m actively preventing limes. There have been a few days at this dose that took stretches of 5-6 hours of bumping him up with hourly mc. Am I supposed to ease off on the mc and ‘wait and see” if he goes lime, because maybe he won’t? Or do I keep intervening to keep him at this dose as long as possible.

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  38. Amy & Herman

+8 92 haven’t fed since +7. Herman’s ears and mama are taking a break till pmps! Thanks for everyone’s help!

39. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats. Well done team.

Amy & Herman likes this.
  40. Amy & Herman

41. Angela & Cleo

I'm in the car right now but I'll be back at home in about a half hour and I'll be around for you. :bighug:
    Stall don't feed and retest. In the meantime think about what is your confidence and comfort shooting number?

Amy & Herman likes this.
  42. Amy & Herman

Thanks Angela. I’ll test again in 20 minutes, I’m probably not comfortable shooting unless it’s gone up a fair bit closer to 80. I had fed him 3 small purebites while I tested never dreaming he’d still be this low hopefully that’s not a huge impact…

43. Angela & Cleo

Freeze dried pure ites are low/no carb. You're good. Reread the sticky.

Amy & Herman likes this.
  44. Amy & Herman

Reread. I want to ‘catch the moment’ he starts rising while withholding food. He is NOT impressed with me at the moment!

45. Amy & Herman

He’s at 58 20 minutes later. I think I better wait another 20

46. Amy & Herman

Also ….i see people talk about a reduced dose, but can’t find the info in any sticky. Is that an option? Or is that not an option for TR on Lantus. I want to be brave but it took a lot of intervention to keep him out of limes today and this is entirely new territory for me (full day green) I hope an experienced member is along soon who has seen this in various cats and can offer insight.

47. tiffmaxee

He might drop without food. Get another test now. You can shoot a reduced dose but it will likely still be an active cycle. Looks like he might earn a reduction unless he bounces.

Amy & Herman likes this.
  48. Amy & Herman

Ok so I’ll test now. You are leaning towards a skip or reduce? Do I understand? I’ll reply in a minute with result.

49. Amy & Herman

He is 49

50. Amy & Herman

He just tested at 49.

51. tiffmaxee

There you go. He's earned a reduction. Congrats. I would feed him and skip tonight. You had to work really hard to keep him up and he dropped under 50.

52. Amy & Herman

Thank you so SO much for your help. Will skip and reduce in morning unless we bounce. What a day!

53. tiffmaxee

Next time you see a drop late in the cycle get a +11 so you are prepared for the pmps. I also would have fed a lc snack at +10.

Amy & Herman likes this.
  54. Amy & Herman

He did get lc at +10 but I didn’t test at +11. I will next time for sure. Thanks.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  55. tiffmaxee

It gets easier. If he's bounces high in the morning you can give 2.5 one more time and reduce tomorrow night. Otherwise reduce in the morning. That is called shooting through the bounce.

Get another test in 30 minutes to see if the bg is rising. He might continue green for awhile and you want him out of the 40's.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  56. Amy & Herman

72 after 30 minutes (I fed a mix of mc/hc half hour ago). So I guess that’s good. He’s a grump though. :blackeye: Don’t blame him!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  57. tiffmaxee

That was fine but you probably could have just given mc or lc since he wasn’t getting insulin. This was be good info fir next time. I’d check again at +2.

Angela & Cleo and Amy & Herman like this.
  58. Amy & Herman

Thanks. Will do! I panic-carbed…him I was starting to worry he wouldn’t let me test any more! He’s settled. Lc only goi g forward.

59. tiffmaxee

I think it did that a lot at first too.

Amy & Herman likes this.