9/7 Tibby AMPS 184 - Good thing I have the day off

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy&Tibby, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Tibby is having one of his odd good days. On other days when this happened, I either had to skip the shot because I had to go to work, or delayed the shot until I was more comfortable with the numbers. This time, I'm here all day, so I gave his normal dose, and we're going to see what happens.

The shot was an hour late because I slept through my alarm. If anything, wouldn't that have raised his numbers, to have to wait?

2. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

I just did his +1 twice. The first reading was 388. That seemed high, so I did it again and got 271. I'm using the PetSure strips with an AT2. So odd.

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Do you have a condo from yesterday? If so, could you copy/paste that into this one for history?

Thanks!

I may have mentioned this already...I'm not a fan of the AT2...get a human meter and matching strips...save money...lower readings on the high end...

4. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

I don't think I have one from yesterday. Am I supposed to post more often?

I did buy a relion, but I don't usually get a lot of blood out of Tibby's ear. I have yet to get enough for a reading, so I switched back to the AT2.

5. Sue and Luci

Your last condo is perfectly fine... it helps us recall what was said last time you posted.... many of us post daily... even a quick update... just helps for continuity.:D

6. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Here it is. Learn something new every day.

Most of the time Tibby has a pretty decent pattern going, but lately he sometimes has a wild normal number. Now I'm starting to see what happens when I shoot or don't shoot, so that's good.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Amy -

I would urge you to not use off brand strips in your AT2 meter. It's problematic. I'm linking a discussion from the Think Tank on the topic. Note that the discussion focused on the use of Freestyle strips in the AT2 meter. For a while, the same company manufactured the FS and AT2 and even then, the crossover of strips was not recommended.

I'm hoping that you realize that you're holding doses for longer than a week. Does your vet have a problem with increasing after a week?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

The PetSure strips say they are made for the AT and AT2. I stocked up on them because I love my AT2 meter. I did buy a Relion, but I didn't want to switch just yet. My vet also uses pet meters, and I send my curves to him for consultation.

When I switch meters someday, I assume I would need to start a new sheet on my spreadsheet?

I have been holding doses longer for a week occasionally if I can't do a curve after a week. I'm the only one in the house, so I can't always get enough readings during the week, and sometimes curve day doesn't fall on a weekend.

9. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Do I have enough data to increase his dose right now? It seems sparse to me. However, if I increase it to 3.5 on Thursday, he'll probably have one of his weird low days over the weekend.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With SLGS, you wait 7 days/14 cycles before increasing. And unless he goes below 150 in the remaining time frame, you'd increase on tomorrow night.

11. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

OK, that sounds good. I don't have a lot of data in the past seven days or so, and I can't do a curve during the week, but it seems like he needs an increase from what I do have. I only wait longer because I can't get the data. Thanks!

12. Wendy&Neko

If you get enough day time plus night time spot checks every night if you can, you don't need to necessarily do an official curve.

13. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

But you do think I have enough to increase tomorrow night?

14. Wendy&Neko

Tomorrow will be 14 cycles, if you don't see below 150 before then, you are good to increase. Try to get a before bed test tonight and whatever you can tomorrow.

15. Sue and Luci

Soon you won't need to do that any more...keep reading the stickies here, study other people's condos, questions/answers and spreadsheets.

The information here on this forum far exceeds anything your vet can tell you about managing FD. I know it's hard to believe...but I've learned that very truth over the years...the collective experience here is overwhelming! Too bad there's not a degree in 'FD by FDMB'...:D

Amy&Tibby likes this.
  16. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Yeah, he wanted me to raise his dose from 3 to 4. I'm going by the guidelines here. If I hit a dosage of 4, I'll send him the results. Otherwise, he may not hear from me for a while.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  17. Sue and Luci

Ouch! Unfortunately they know not what they are talking about...

If you happen to be a member of the FaceBook sister group to FDMB, there are so many sad tales of people listening to their vets and overdosing their cats...it's heartbreaking as too many are dying because of vets bad advice....sometimes I wish they'd not give any advice at all, as opposed to giving bad advice. :(