AC is out, could this affect Jonas?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Whitney and Jonas, Jun 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Well I wasn't expecting to have to make THIS thread! Our AC went out suddenly and it's already getting quite hot in the house. Someone is thankfully coming out this afternoon, but should I be worried about Jonas at all? :( I don't want him to get too hot and throw up, overheat, get dehydrated, etc. Does anyone have experience with not having AC for a few hours while having kitties? We live in Oklahoma and it's quite hot right now, in the 90s now and it'll be near 100 the rest of the week. I'm praying it's an easy fix that can get solved today.

I have one box fan that I put in the living room, neither he or his siblings seem distressed (I am... I am a wimp in the heat, LOL). All water bowls have fresh water in them too. I'm hoping this is another 'Whitney is worrying over nothing' episode, but Joe is doing so good, I don't want anything to mess him up!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

If push comes to shove put a bowl of ice in front of the fan. If your kitties go in front of it and sit or lie down that should be a temp fix.
    I live in the low desert its 107 here now. I dont have AC. Zoe is outside somewhere. Theres no cooling out there and she does fine. We have an evaporative cooler. Trouble never seemed bothered by the heat when he was here. Hope this helps.

3. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Oh, thank you dear!! that makes me feel better. I did put some ice in a bowl in front of the fan already as my mom is also super sensitive to heat so she's staying in the living room with it. Jonas loves sunning himself in the windows so surely this won't bother him too much. You are much stronger than me and so is Zoe... I'd croak!!

4. jt and trouble (GA)

Its all relative. I've lived in the low desert since 1980. A true desert rat! I could never take y'all winters!

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I had one cat who could not take the heat and who lived on the second floor under my bed, coming out when it was dark, looking out the windows and sleeping on my hip. She was an inherited scaredy cat and would not live on the lower level. For the first two years, she rarely left the room.
    Once the temperature reached 32C (90F), she would give a blood curdling howl and start to pant. I would drag her out from under the bed and wet her down with cool water, absolutely soaking the top of her head, her neck and her back. Fans running, of course. I"d try to get her to lie on a towel covered bag of frozen peas. She would not stay long. Our old house windows would not take an air conditioner. We ended up buying a floor model with the heat hose going out the window. Did this for a couple of summers. If the temperature did not drop in the bedroom at night, I had to stay up. A wet cat dries off, especially when there are fans running. Eventually, we had central AC put in for her. The humans benefitted as well.
    If your cats start to pant, move them to the lowest level of your place and turn on fans. If that does not work try wetting them down with a facecloth drenched with cool water.
    That said, most cats are fine. My longer, denser haired cat at the time had no problems with the heat.

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

And fluids. Keep up the fluids. Add water to the wet food to make it a bit soupy.

7. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Oh sweet baby :( That breaks my heart. I'm so glad y'all were able to get AC put in for you and for her!

We only have a single-story home, but we are keeping an eye on him (and all the kitties) and the repairman is on the way. I really hope it's something that can be fixed on the spot. So far nobody is showing any signs of distress, it's 81F in the house currently.

8. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

AC is fixed!! Still hot in here but hopefully it will slowly start cooling down, and the visit didn't seem to stress him too badly either :)

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  9. jt and trouble (GA)

its 90 in my house :p

YAAAAAY!

10. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

So glad you got it fixed! And hello from another Okie! :cat:

11. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

that is a great idea!

12. jt and trouble (GA)

Not so much...Lived it.

13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

...I would die. Although our 90s/100s are humid, which makes the heat seem much worse. I don't mind dry heat

Do you have to take extra care of her paws? Or do they just get used to it?

14. jt and trouble (GA)

Nope shes use to it. All our kitties have found their way here. So we take them in, just because of the summers here. I just cant turn ANY away. I know theres a big sucker hanging over my head. :p
    j
    Try 115 and humid! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.