Adequan Allergic Reaction?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MichelleAnn, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichelleAnn

MichelleAnn New Member

Perdita's arthritis has worsen the past few months, after researching the knowledge and wisdom of this forum, I inquired with my vet if Adequan would be an option. Perdita started Adequan on January 25th. Dosage was at .2MLS. Perdita experienced some vomiting that evening; however, it contained a hairball. I didn't think much of it. The next few days, Perdita was a little standoffish, but I was thinking that was because the vet had us stop her Gabapentin cold turkey. I figured she was just in pain and wanted to be left alone.

After she seemed to be in pain the 3rd day, I gave her half a capsule of Gabapentin and she seemed to do a little better. Second round of Adequan, my living room looked like a frat house after an all nighter. So much vomit! She was not able to keep food down that evening and vomited her breakfast the next morning. After that, she seemed ok, but still standoffish. Sitting in the corner not interacting with her humans. She has always limited her interactions with us, but this is even more so.

I called the vet this morning, they feel it is an allergic reaction. They said if I was comfortable, I could lower the dosage to .1MLS and see how she does or just stop all together. I was REALLY wanting this to help her. I tried researching and I could only find a few people this has happened with, but I really couldn't see what the outcome was.

Other than the Adequan and stopping/staring her Gabapentin, there have been no changes with her food, water, or litter.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom they could share?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh man that would stink if it was the adequan doing it. Adequan works good for my cat.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

ve not had any side effects for my two cats on Adequan.

4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

We haven't had any trouble with Adequan; just good results. Another member asked the same question, but it turns out her kitty had a separate stomach problem.

My kitty was on Metacam, and we were instructed to NOT immediately remove it. I started cutting the Metacam the second month, after the 2x a week loading dose month. My Tina IS still on gabapentin, and I'm undecided about taking that away. I might should think harder about it; I feel it helps a lot though.

It makes me sad that you and Perdita had that experience. It would be hard to decide on lowering the dose and trying again.

5. MichelleAnn

MichelleAnn New Member

Did you lower Tina's gabapentin or leave it the same?

I'm really wondering if it was the combo; stopping her cold turkey AND starting a new medication. I mean, my gut was telling me to wean her off; however, the vet tech said to stop the gabapentin. Kitty life is a hard life.

6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I kept the Gabapentin dose the same - 50mg twice daily, like you give.
    Metacam is the drug we wanted to get rid of.
    I have a hunch your vet tech was wrong about quitting Gaba cold turkey because it takes Adequan a few weeks to work well.

I wonder if you started the Gaba back as usual, and tried Adequan again, if that would work.
    Anyone else have ideas?

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

A member here a few years ago was taking her cat off gabapentin and her vet instructed her that it was important to gradually taper the gabapentin dose, not to stop it abruptly. Don't know whether that's of any help to you.

Mogs

8. MichelleAnn

MichelleAnn New Member

I went ahead and administered adequan as scheduled but at a lower dosage as well as started her back on gabapentin. So far, no vomiting. I am leaning more toward withdraw symptoms instead of an allergic reaction. I really wish I would have followed my gut!

Thank you for all your words of wisdom!

9. Critter Mom

Be sure to let us know how Perdita gets on.

(((Perdita)))

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Reason for edit: Typo.
  10. MichelleAnn

MichelleAnn New Member

Wanted to give a quick update, no more vomiting. I have upped the dose back to .2MLS. It is hard to say if her movement is better, but research shows it takes about 8 doses...we hit the 8th dose in 4 days. Fingers crossed!

11. Critter Mom

I'm glad to hear the vomiting has stopped. Will keep fingers and paws crossed that the Adequan will be a great help to Perdita. :bighug:

BTW, my civvie, LĂșnasa, was prescribed gabapentin recently (to calm her prior to an appointment for a blood draw). FYI, according to the prescribing notes, the reason why you need to taper off the drug is that, following longer periods of use, abrupt cessation can lead to seizures.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.