Admin. Advice - Non Emergent, Dosing Issues

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Emily Tuomey, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

@Suzanne & Darcy @FrostD

ADVISE. Nico is back on insulin after being remissive for the past year (and a few months), and I’m super bummed about it. I think this time it’s being brought on by stress; his sister is dying of terminal, aggressive AF cancer— Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and I don’t think any of us are taking it well. Needless to say, I need some help. His vet advised 2.0U as she did with his previous go-round with Prozinc, with a brief ramp up to that dose. He is now on 2.0U and I have updated my SS. I have no idea what method we should try or where to go from here. Advice would be most welcome. Words of encouragement and thoughts/prayers would be welcomed too. Times are tough in the household right now, and we are all just doing the best that we can in this moment. Savoring the last memories. :rb_icon: TIA. ~Em, Nico, & BrookieB

upload_2022-9-6_20-14-43.jpeg

Logan & Sandy likes this.
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Quoting my last post -
    Last week I suggested a reduction down to 1.25U as I suspected 1.5U was too high. I also mentioned that a dose needs to be held for at least a week. I understand you're getting conflicting advice from your vet, but 2U is too high. The numbers you are seeing are due to bounces from numbers that are too low, very possibly hypo.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

So, are we thinking he should be reduced down to 1.25Unow? I can change his dosing in the morning and see what he does..?

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

@FrostD is correct. See on your spreadsheet how, when you increased to 2 units, that you started having all these reds at the preshot times, indicating that those are bounces from low numbers. When you reduce, you need to hold the reduced dose for 7 days so you can really see what's going on at that dose. I KNOW it's so hard when you see those high numbers and it "seems" like it must mean that more insulin is needed, but stay the course and make the increases gradual after 7 days to see if an increase is needed and can be done safely. So sorry about your other cat :-(

Emily Tuomey and FrostD like this.
  5. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

6. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

@Suzanne & Darcy @FrostD should I give 1.25U starting tonight or tomorrow morning, then hold for 7 days? Is that okay, to go from 2.0U down to 1.25U that quickly?

FrostD likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yes. It is safe to reduce to 1.25. No worries.

Emily Tuomey and FrostD like this.
  8. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Will do. Any idea what I should expect to see from him this week as I hold his dose at 1.25U?? I’m nervous…

9. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

my vote is that just because a vet says one thing doesn't make it God.. if i went with what my vet said I think my cat would be dead.

Emily Tuomey likes this.
  10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's hard to say, but we hope for blues and yellows, maybe an occasional pink in there. It will take him a few days to settle, as Suzanne mentioned

Emily Tuomey likes this.
  11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well ;) but for a lot of us here, the FD diagnosis - and subsequent mismanagement - tends to be our first eye-opener about vets and their strengths/weaknesses. It can be hard to trust a bunch of people on the internet at first!

Emily Tuomey likes this.
  12. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I know it's hard to see, just stay the course. It takes a few days to settle. Just be sure to check ketones.

Emily Tuomey likes this.
  14. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

We are going in the wrong direction… pmps 453 :arghh:

I haven’t checked his ketones yet this go-round.