Advice: 2nd curve

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LokiMo, Sep 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

We ran our second curve today and the results were not as expected. For the +6 reading, I tested 3 times to confirm it had gone up that much in 2 hours. His food today has been low carb wet only (Tiki cat chicken and egg, Purina Pro Plan Prime turkey & giblets), a couple chunks of freeze dried chicken, and I give him one temptation after each test because he sometimes hisses and bites and we want him to cooperate and associate all the poking with good things. This whole experience the last month has been a roller coaster. My teen daughter starts school on Wednesday and we were hoping to have him regulated before that since no one will be home most of the day starting next week. SS up to date.

2. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

Wanted to add that his foods are in a tab on our spreadsheet and that we think maybe running the curve stresses him out and that why he seems higher today. However, his +4 and +6 haven’t been getting down very low since we increased to 1u and so I’m wondering if we should increase to 1.25u?

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You've been holding the 1U dose for 22 cycles....holding a dose that's not getting the results you want can lead to glucose toxicity (basically the body gets used to being high even with the insulin and you end up having to go to a higher dose than you would have had to if you hadn't let it go so long)

I have no trouble believing the +6....but I do wonder if maybe the +4 was a wonky test strip since yellows are so unusual for him....but it really doesn't matter...either way, he needs more insulin.

Also, it's important to keep getting those PM tests on every PM cycle. Our kitties love to surprise us when we least expect it!

I'd increase his dose to 1.25 and hold it for 3 days and then let's see what's going on.

This was written with Lantus/Levemir in mind, but there's some good idea's for when you're not able to be around as much to test. "Is TR possible with a full time job? Yes!"

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris :cat:

6. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

This is all so confusing. Last time I posted about it, I was told to be patient and because of how he reacted to the first dose of insulin (1u) we’ve been nervous about increasing the dose. So we only need to hold the dose for 3 days and if the numbers aren’t where they should be, we adjust? That +4 was right, we took it twice to make sure because it seemed low to us too.

I read the link you provided. I am too new to all this and I don’t understand the TR vs SLGS I guess.

7. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

I’m not sure when to increase the dose though. I have to work all week and my daughter starts school Wednesday and works 3-4 nights a week so we are nervous about increasing now and no one being here to monitor him on cycle 6-7 if we switch tonight or tomorrow. I think we have to wait until Thursday night to increase because I am around Friday and through the weekend.

Reason for edit: Add info
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm linking the Prozinc page. There is a sticky note on dosing methods that you may find helpful with regard to whether or not to increase Loki's dose.

It may be more helpful to post here rather than in the FB group. As Chris mentioned, the FB group is not designed to provide guidance on dosing. There are also many people here who spend a considerable amount of time assisting members with the kind of questions you have, who have expertise with the insulin you're using, and they are not active on the FB group.

I agree with Chris -- you want to evaluate whether or not a dose is working after no more than a week. Also, if you are using Temptations as a treat, please find another option as a reward. You're completely on track with wanting to reward Loki for getting tested. However, Temptations are quite high in carbs. Like any dry food, it may be hanging around in your cat's system and be contributing to the high numbers especially since you are testing with a fair amount of frequency.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd do 1.5

10. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

We won’t be able to monitor as closely on cycle 4-6 due to work and school schedules so I am uncomfortable increasing by .5u

I have a feeling that’s what he needs as well but I think we will try 1.25 first.

11. JanetNJ

Ok but don't hold that dose too long of its ineffective.

12. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

We will give it 6 cycles and if his numbers are still not down enough we can increase another 0.25 and I can be home Friday and the weekend to monitor more closely. I have a hypo kit set up now and feel better about testing.

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I finally found your post here on FDMB. Glad to see you've increased, keep moving up until you start to see better numbers.

You may want to consider getting a human meter/strips as there will be a lot of testing in your future.

I can understand your apprehension about increasing, looks like you started with a high dose and the impact was overwhelming. That happens often as vets tend to recommend a 'standard' dose for kitties without understanding the full picture.

Best of luck to you! I think once those numbers start to come down the peeing all over will slow way down...interesting phenomenon, we hear that all the time about kitties peeing outside of the litter box when their BG's are too high...it's unfortunately such a nasty mess for us to deal with and for them it's a method of communication...go figure..

LokiMo likes this.
  14. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

We increased a couple days ago and just got our first blue at +4! I’m hoping it’s not a fluke.

JanetNJ likes this.
  15. JanetNJ

Best preshot you've had all week too. :). I might do 1.75 starting Sunday or Monday. I'm so happy to see that blue. Your cat is very lucky to have you working so hard to help her feel good. :)

16. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

Thanks. It was short-lived. By +8 he was back in the 300s already.

17. JanetNJ

Not surprising.... He was bound to bounce because he isn't used to lower numbers

18. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

Please advise again. This morning he was 600 (tested twice) and at +3 he was still at 600. He peed on the dog bed again. Why does it seem like the insulin only slightly works for a cycle or two then it stops working?

19. JanetNJ

Poor Loki. I hope it comes back down again soon.

20. LokiMo

LokiMo Member

I don’t understand. His numbers are all over the place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.