Advice on achieving remission, so close but never gets there

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Evey, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Evey

Evey Member

Hello, my cat was diagnosed in Oct 15. She didn't start taking insuline until Dec 9th. I've been trying everything i can to help her and She hasn't been above 10mmol recently and she gets 1U of Lantus in the morning and in the evening (FYI, The BG readings in the record sheet are readings from FreeStyle Libre). The chart is mostly blue and green now but it seems she still can't get to remission. Can anyone give me some advice on how to help her achieve remission? This is what i've been doing recently:

Food: Leonardo can food, 200g/day, 100g in the morning and 100g in the evening.
    30g of food with insulin shot, 70g of food given 1 hour after insulin shot.

Play Pancreatic/diabetes healing music to her every morning and evening for 20mins.

Is there anything i can change? Change the feeding time or meal size? I'm really frustrated and i'm welcome any advice that would help her. Thank you so much~

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Remission is great but not the goal IMO :) The goal is to get blood glucose levels to stay in a healthy range with insulin and diet. Some cats can eventually reach remission with insulin and diet. Others cats do not and that's perfectly ok :) You can do everything right and the cat just won't go into remission. It's just how the cat's body is responding to the insulin and diet and nothing you can do can change that. You just have to accept your cat for being who she is and give her tons of love. Your cat's numbers are great so keep doing what you're doing :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I've never heard of diabetes healing music. Can you share more about this? I've heard of pet calming music but not music that has healing properties.

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

First, I’d suggest adding smaller meals and or snacks throughout the day. Feeding only twice a day works for dogs but cats have a much higher metabolism. It’s easier in their pancreas and it helps avoid big sugar spikes when they eat more more than just two meals.

the numbers look great, but I’m also noticing you’re not taking any of the earned reductions. That’s a big part of going into remission. You want to keep decreasing the dosage until he needs no insulin. Every time he goes under 90 he earns a 1/4 dose reduction and he’s earned a few you haven’t taken. Unless you’re following TR then you reduce every fine he goes under 50. That’s your cat’s body telling the dose is too high and you should listen to it. Have you read all the yellow sticky notes on the Lantus forum especially the one on our two dosing methods? TR has the best remission rate. Take a look at Bobo’s spreadsheet and his path to remission.

4. Evey

Evey Member

The one i've been playing for her is this one: 324Hz Pancreatic Healing Sound Bath - Crystal Singing Bowl (No Talking) Endocrine Cleanse (youtube.com)
    Not sure if it works for cats but my kitty never reacts crazy to this music so I guess it won't hurt to try. If you search diabetes healing music on youbute, you can find other options too. You can find one you kitty like ^_^

5. Evey

Evey Member

Thank you for your reply. It only took 2 months to get to remission. Looking at Bobo's spreadsheet makes me envious.lol
    By adding smaller meals, how many meals in a day do you suggest i should give her? Would 4 meals/day be enough? and each meal is 50g?
    About the not taking any of the earned reductions, the vet never told me to reduce the insulin dosage so i keep giving her the same amount (1U). So every time she goes under 90, the next dosage should be reduced by 1/4? Also, i need to point out that the BG number in the spreadsheet is from FreeStyle Libre. Do I need to change the dosage based on actual glucometer readings?
    I'm sorry that i have many questions. Thank you in advance!