? AMPS 354 did not eat too much

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michsassy, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Should I give shot or hope she eats more?
    Last night Sassy ate well this morning woke me up to eat gave chicken breast had few mouthfuls and give FF pate two mouthfuls but not her usual good appetite.
    Shot time 8:00 a.m.
    Ketone test this morning - pic attached
    Last night Ketone test same; 5mg/dl
    sassy ketone 762020 am.jpg

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you going to be home to monitor the BGs? Do you have plenty of test strips and some higher carb food if needed?
    I would not skip the shot with a trace a ketones in the picture. I am just heading to bed but if you are comfortable doing it I would give the shot, monitor closely and keep offering food.
    Get a couple of early tests in to see what’s happening.
    Why are you giving 2 units in the am and 1.25 units in the pm? Lantus is best dosing at a consistent dose. Also please try and always get a before bed test in every night otherwise you are only testing for 1/2 the day.

Tina and Salem likes this.
  3. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

She just threw up chicken with liquid.
    Should I still give shot ? I will if I dont hear from you

So I am really worried about her. open a different can FF and no go sniff but didn't want eat.
    Vet said am 2 units so I can monitor through day while I am home.

I will do 2 units in pm
    Thank you

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

She sounds nauseated. Do you have any cerenia (Antinausea medication)
    If she is vomiting and not wanting to eat (nauseated) and has trace ketones I would be inclined to go to the vet and get an antinausea injection and a check up. You need her to eat with ketones in the picture and she needs some insulin as well.
    I’m not sure I would up the pm dose to 2 units. I would divide the 2 doses by 2 and give that dose each time. So 2 + 1.25= 3..25 divided by 2 = 1.625.. So I would give 1.75 units twice a day.

5. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

No I do not have cerenia . I am going to vet today. Gave shot 2 units. I am with her to observe .
    I understand 1.75 to be consistent.
    Thank you again. I will report back after vet.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Offer small amounts of anything she will eat. Poor Sassy it’s horrible being nauseated.
    Hopefully he will give an injection of cerenia and some tablets to give at home. looking at the SS she has had diarrhoea a bit lately. Any other nausea? Ask the vet about a test for pancreatitis. Either a Spec fPL or a Snap fPL.
    Have you tried a probiotic for the diarrhoea. S Boudardii is very good.

7. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

She has had diarrhea for 18 days
    All the while eating morning noontime afternoon snack night time, has been drinking

I’ve been giving her the S boulardi for two weeks. Went to the vet Tuesday 6/30/2020 vet gave her B12 shot, metronidazole Half a tablet, twice a day.
    I did pumpkin a few times. This mother first time she showed signs of being nauseating not interested in eating I’ve been putting the plate in front of her. She just drank water
    I have a stool sample to bring to the vet.
    I will bring up the pancreatitis.

8. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Best of luck at the vet, Michele. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I remember I spoke to you on the Main forum about the diarrhoea. Sheba had it for weeks and it finally stopped when I changed the food. please let us know how you get on at the vet.

10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

She’s definitely nauseous. It’s best to give the same dose. Like Bron says divide the dose. If you give 2.0 units you are increasing. Ask for the test for pancreatitis. There is an in house test and one that is sent to the lab. The SNAP which is the quick one won’t be accurate if in the gray zone But it is accurate for definitely positive or negative. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

Hi Bron. I just read Australia is seeing Covid again. I hope it’s not in your part. Take care.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Elise. The Covid is in the state just south of us and they have closed the border so no one can leave there. So far our state is doing well thanks. Hope you are ok!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  13. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

What food did you change to?

14. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

And then she threw up again a lot of liquid water.
    Waiting to be seen at vet. My poor Sassy. She is not happy

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

Your poor baby. Get a cerenia shot for sure.

17. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Did an x-ray and an ultrasound and it shows thickened small intestines and thickened lymph nodes. She Says it could be IBD or lymphoma. I am beside myself. If I give her a scope we can biopsy it I can’t imagine putting her through that. Best case scenario she has IBD they said they could put her on prednisone.
    Does a diabetic treat well with prednisone she’s 14 she’s been losing weight she lost 1 pound in the past week while eating four five meals

18. tiffmaxee

Intestinal lymphoma is really common. I had a cat that had intermediate cell and she was successfully diagnosed by scoping. Small cell is treated with prednisolone and a chemo pill. If you think you might wish to treat it I would your vet it’s thought the location will give a result. In my case my vet was certain. Scoping is quick. The best method is a surgical biopsy. Once you start prednisolone it’s hard to get an accurate diagnosis. This also could be IBD and sometimes a food change helps with that. Given the weight loss I suspect small cell. Scoping will not be hard on her. Wendy has experience with small cell so I’ll tag her. It’s slow moving but does need treatment. You might want to talk with an oncologist. I’m sorry. @Wendy&Neko

Michsassy likes this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On my third cat in a row now with small cell. She's been in remission for over two years on prednisolone daily and a mild chemo pill every 2 weeks. Neko wasn't properly diagnosed because her heart was not strong enough at the time to take anaesthesia, so it was best guess of the internal medicine vet based on ultrasounds. Third cat had an endoscopy which was a fairly quick in and out procedure. An endoscopy can do the diagnosis, depending on where in the intestine the thickening is occurring. And I agree with Elise, it's better to know what you are dealing with, so you can treat properly. The treatments are different. With the right treatment protocol, chances of remission are quite high for small cell lymphoma. If it's IBD, often switching to novel protein diets and a good probiotic will do the trick.

Neko did budesonide instead of prednisolone, again because her heart could not take pred. Plus budesonide is more locally acting on the GI and for many cats does not impact the blood sugar. It didn't for Neko, where pred usually means you have to increase the dose to compensate.

Have you tried foods without chicken? Maybe something other than poultry, like lamb, venison, rabbit? Chicken is a common allergen.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m sorry you have got that news. I have no experience with it but I see Wendy and Elise have been able to help.

21. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Thank you for your reply. It is terrible. I want what is best for Sassy. I couldn't make decision right then there regarding endoscopy and biopsy. I wish I could say $ no object but $3000 to biopsy. So many variables to consider. How does one make this decision without feeling they are helping or hurting their beloved cat? I am in tears.
    She has had weight loss three weeks, 9.7 to 7.8 in six days from vet visit, had abdomen bloating. Dr. Sue cancer vet says if already with syptoms, which Sassy has had diarrhea for at least two weeks every day, weight loss I am wondering what could her prognosis be. I know no one knows answer for sure. that is what makes this so hard. Do I try prolong her life without quality? She is such a sweetie.
    I have her ultrasound and bloodwork results if anyone is interest in looking. I can post or email.
    Was given prednisone to treat if IBD and my vet said it could also treat lymphoma. I understand how BG's higher with Prednisone. I will continue to test.
    I read your reply of prednisolone and why Neko received budesonide.
    I called vet this a.m. awaiting call back to ask for prednisolone.
    Sassy ate when back home at 5:00 pm 1 can FF, fed 3 hours later and ate 1/2 FF, watched her drink water three x's. Slept near me all night . Woke up 4 am fed Sassy again and she ate 1/2 FF. (do not have rabbit or venison) do you recommend a brand?
    Gave her prednisone liquid on her small portion of food because she would not keep mouth open and didn't want to lose liquid and she ate all of food at 7:30 am. trying to give 2 hours before insulin.
    Gave .2 Lantus this am with food and thank goodness she ate and no vomit.
    Diarrhea 2'xs this morning. One soft and liquidy and other liquid poop. Vet says 7 days on prednisone and should see if helping.
    Any advise?
    I truly thank you all for being there and guiding me with your advise. It is invaluable.

22. tiffmaxee

If it is lymphoma which sounds likely (sorry) treatment soon is necessary and will lead to a good quality of life. I would ask how certain they are that endoscopy would yield a diagnosis and see how much that would cost. An alternative would be to treat as if small cell which means prednisolone and the chemo pill. :bighug: That treatment is sometimes needed for severe IBD too.

23. Wendy&Neko

Endoscopy for me was a lot cheaper than $3000 you are being quoted for biopsy.

Here is a paper on why prednisolone is better than prednisone for cats. Prednisone may not be doing the job.
    Ziwipeak, Natures Variety, Koha, Rawz, plus there are plenty more if you are interested in feeding raw or freeze dried raw (Stella and Chewys, Primal to name two)/

Michsassy likes this.
  24. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

25. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

So in all my tiredness I didn’t read the bottle correctly and she is getting prednisolone. I read the article.
    thank you. thank you for the recommendations.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  26. Wendy&Neko

We have seen some vet mistakenly prescribe prednisone, glad yours wasn't one of them.

Michsassy likes this.