Amps advise on dosage

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by 8catsplus2, Aug 22, 2020.

1. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Has she been tested this morning?

8catsplus2 likes this.
  3. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Yes 219

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I think sticking to 1u for a while will be helpful, unless she earns a .25u reduction by dropping under 90.

8catsplus2 likes this.
  5. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Sorry still 1/2 asleep. I just put it on her spreadsheet

Panic likes this.
  6. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Thanks I'm not use to her being this low as you can see.. thanks for answering so fast. Are you usually on her about this time I'm in California..

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

She's doing really well right now! :)
    I'm about 3 hours ahead of you so I'm usually stopping by around this time. Feel free to ping me @Panic if you need help and I'll hopefully see it.

8catsplus2 likes this.
  8. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Thanks That's greatly appreciated. Do you just tag like you do on Facebook I'm so used to that I'm not used to this form yet

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes I think it's the same as Facebook. Just type in @Panic with no spaces, my name should pop up automatically.

8catsplus2 likes this.
  10. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Amber! Glad to see you have been able to post here. I don't usually visit this forum but I thought I'd check and see if you had posted and gotten answers to your questions!

Looks like you haven't been able to read the sticky on Prozinc Dosing Methods yet? Would suggest you start with the Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) method.

Under SLGS, you hold doses for a week. At the end of the week:
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit
    Nadir is the lowest BG that Lucy sees on this dose. Right now, her nadirs seem to be in the 90-149 range, so hold the 1 unit dose. We can take a call after a week about dose adjustments based on her BG readings over the week.

If she falls below 90, reduce the dose by 0.25 units in the immediate next cycle.

Lucy's numbers have shown a tremendous improvement of late! You're doing a great job. I know all the "tech stuff" here must feel overwhelming, but you'll figure it out soon!

Have a great day! :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    8catsplus2 likes this.
  11. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Not yet with two elderly parents and two different homes Lucy being diabetic another cat with another issue. I don't have much time for anything else but I will get to it My question is what does all those abbreviations stand for that's in the quotes or is that in the article that you want me to read.
    Plus it's a lot easier for me to read on paper versus my cell phone. My phone's not that big

12. Bandit's Mom

Take your time. It looks like you have a lot on your plate right now which is why the SLGS protocol might suit you for now. I have given you the basics of the dosing method in my previous post.

What abbreviations do you mean?
    SLGS stands for Start Low Go Slow.

8catsplus2 likes this.
  13. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

• If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

• ALL OF THE ONE IN THE (. ) AND IN FRONT OF THE (. )

14. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Those are blood sugar measurements.

150 mg/dL is American. 8.3 mmol/L is the rest of the world.

A 150 on a US meter reads as 8.3 in other countries. The difference is dividing US number by 18 to get the world number. You can stick with the US numbers of course.

8catsplus2 likes this.
  15. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Thanks now I understand the abbreviations now....
    So let me see if I get this right if her nadirs are over 150 I increase to bring her #s down and if they are below 90 I decrease to bring her #s up..

16. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Your kitty is a cute My sister had a cat that looked like Panic

Panic likes this.
  17. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Correct! And you hold the dose 7 days before increasing if nadirs are mostly above 150.

8catsplus2 likes this.
  18. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

When you say HOLD do you mean I stay at the same amount of insulin for 7 days before i increase

19. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes :)

8catsplus2 likes this.
  20. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

When you have time look at her spreadsheet and see if there was any time that I should have increased so I can see exactly what I'm looking for
    Thanks

21. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Is Lucy still on lactulose or did you switch over to Miralax? Just curious. I saw that you talked about switching earlier in August and so am wondering whether the recent lower BG numbers could be related to removing lactulose (it has sugars in it that can raise blood glucose).

Steroids can also cause transient diabetes. I saw something about a steroid shot earlier this year — has Lucy had any since? Again, just curious.

Keep up the good work. You’ll get the hang of this in no time. :)

8catsplus2 likes this.
  22. Bandit's Mom

Don't bother looking at data beyond 2 weeks. A cat's insulin needs change frequently. And Lucy's seems to have come down significantly in the last few days.

For now, her nadir are below 149 and you should hold the 1 unit dose for a week, that is, another 5 days. Provided she doesn't dip below 90 again in that time. If she doesn't, then next Friday, we can evaluate and see if you need to maintain the dose at 1 unit or increase it by 0.25 units per SLGS.

Panic and 8catsplus2 like this.
  23. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Yes I took her off it she is on Miralax we started at August 9th