Angel's (near?) hypo

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Angel, Jul 27, 2023.

1. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

Link to previous thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/angels-troubles.279263/

Angel nearly gave me a heart attack! She was 3.7 (67) at her AM preshot. Obviously didn't shoot her, gave her some extra carbs. She's not showing any symptoms and was very happy with the extra food. I'll keep an eye on her and test her again in a bit.

For follow up steps: reduce by 0.25U at her next shot? She's currently at 4.5U. I'm calling my vet when they open for advice, but thought I'd post here as well.

I'm gonna get some more testing in as well these next few days/weeks, I haven't been as on top of that as I should've been recently:( was planning to do a 12 hour curve this weekend but I guess she had other plans!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  2. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

5.9 now (106)

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yes, she would have earned a reduction for this number below 90 so reduce by .25 units at next shot. You already know that you need to test more to see what is going on with her and how low the dose is taking her for her nadir. Without some mid-cycle tests we don’t know what is happening. I’m very glad she is safe. Please keep us up to date!

Lisa and Angel likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

She’s very safe. She never dropped below 50 so that is good and she wasn’t in danger but what a shock for you! she did earn the reduction as we said. The testing is important but so is the feeding of snacks during certain portions of the cycle. Both are important.

Lisa and Angel likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reduction! I know it can be disconcerting but reductions are what you want and it's for times like this that testing is so important. You're doing good.

6. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

Absolutely gonna get in some more mid-cycle testing!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  7. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

Yes, it was certainly a shock! She's never tested so low before, and to see that on a PS... scary to think that if I didn't test her, I would've just given the insulin. Couldn't tell anything was the matter with her at all. The 8.2 from the other night already kinda shook me up, but I never would've expected this! Very good though that she's earned a reduction. :)

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

Thanks!

9. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

She's at 7.6 now btw. Steadily going up, I expected as much with it now being 14+ hours since her last shot.

Do ya'll think it's safe for me to go to bed now, or wait another hour and retest?

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Go to bed

11. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

Aaaaannnnndddd another hypo! 3.4 (61) at +6. Testing again in 20 minutes. This one makes me more nervous bc she tends to have a late nadir so I fear she'll go lower still. Gave her some high carb wet, does that still work well to raise BG even though she's not on a low carb diet (so her standard food is already high carb)?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  12. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

3.3 (59) now. Fed more wet and have honey at the ready if needed.

13. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

3.0 (54) @ 6 hour 40 minutes. Still asymptomatic.

14. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

15. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

16. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

17. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

18. Lisa and Angel

Lisa and Angel Member

6.6 at PS time. Another shot I have to skip! That's the 3rd time this week.