Anyone Using B3 (niacinamide) as phosphorus binder?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Veronica & Babu-chiri, Jan 31, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

Does any one has any experience in using B3 niacinamide as phosphorus binder in diabetic cats?
    Can the take it ? I've read it could impact blood glucose but I'm not sure

So far Babu has been using Renvela but it has become harder to find here in Mexico ( lots of meds have become increasingly harder to find here) so I may need to change to another one eventually , AOH is not an option since is practically impossible to find it here, even more than Renvela and his food has potassium citrate

Actually any suggestions could be helpful

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You should join the Feline CRF support group
    https://feline-crf-support.groups.io/g/Feline-CRF-Support
    I remember a recent post on using it and it seems to cause problem and I think it was nausea.Alsmo maybe join Tanta support group. In
    https://felinecrf.org/phosphorus_binders.htm#niacinamide
    The side effect are listed as:
    "In humans, more serious side effects have been seen with doses of over 3g of niacin per day, including increased liver enzymes, high blood sugar levels, stomach ulcers, irregular heart beat and even blindness.
    "Diabetes is also a possible concern with long term use, because blood sugar levels may increase, requiring an adjustment of insulin if your cat is on this.
    "Dr Larry Nagode, formerly of Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, has stated that niacin and niacinamide may increase calcium levels.
    https://tanyackd.groups.io/g/support

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

I've been in Tanya's group for a while now but as experienced as they are in CKD there's not many people in there with experience with diabetes that's why I posted here, hoping someone here had some experience with it.

As far as most of the side effects those are pretty much similar to other phosphorus binders, there's no good one but they are a necessary evil, what I'm worried most is that it is mentioned that it may raise blood sugar numbers and that could actually really get nasty for Babu but the problem is I'm running out of options due to the shortage of meds in Mexico

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm just seeing this condo. I use Nicotinamide/Niacinamide B3 as a phosphorus binder for my sugarcat Bandit. She refuses to eat food with Aluminum Hydroxide mixed in, so I had no choice but to try this one. I too have read on Tanya's website that it can affect BG. Unfortunately, Bandit is still bouncy and unregulated (she eats only high carb dry food) so I can't tell if it has affected her BG or not.

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Thanks it helps a lot to have first hand information

Bandit's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.