Are these treats ok?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzi and Chicamonkey, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Suzi and Chicamonkey Member

Are these ok??

Attached Files:

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Yes they are freeze dried and 100% meat, so no probs from a BG point of view.

One thing to bear in mind is that you don't want to give too much liver, too much liver in the diet can lead to vitamin A toxicity. So don't overdo how many you give on a regular basis.

I have some lambs liver freeze dried treats I use, but I use them sparingly, George would stuff his face with them if I gave him half the chance:rolleyes:

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  3. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Ok... I thought I read somewhere on dr Lisa’s food list that she likes liver????

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

She does but as Gill says in small amounts:

Liver is a very nutritious organ meat – and should be present in small amounts – but it should never be the first ingredient as it is very high in vitamin A and possibly D and you don’t want to feed too much of those vitamins. Liver is cheaper than muscle meat so it will increase a company’s profit margin when used in high amounts.

Gill & George likes this.
  5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Liver is quite very nutritious just don't feed a lot of it.
    Too much vitamin A (which liver is rich in) can lead to toxicity problems
    If you are just feeding the odd treat it won't be a problem, but you probably don't want to give a lot of it over a long period of time.
    I use liver treats, but I interchange them with other varieties, such as duck breast, chicken breast, salmon. My spoilt bunch get bored.

6. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Luckily pure bites has lots of variety like chicken, duck, whitefish, etc. Lots of good treat options!

7. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Oh yes! Agreed!