Article on Adding Pumpkin to pet's food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larry and Kitties, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

https://criticalcaredvm.com/pumpkin-dogs-cats-fiber/
    Bottom line:
    "Supplementing your pet’s meals with canned pumpkin is a common recommendation to enhance dietary fiber content. Such supplementation likely does little to meet that goal due to the minimal amount of soluble and insoluble fiber found in it."

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Interesting!
    Thanks for sharing.

3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Interesting article. Oddly enough, 5 cats and 3 dogs, would Never eat pumpkin. None of the cats responded to Cat Nip either.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I have always found pumpkin made a huge difference when Sheba had chronic diarrhoea several years ago and nothing else seemed to help. Within a few hours of giving the pumpkin she had the first formed poop in ages. I later found the loose poops were caused by a canned food allergy, but the pumpkin always helped any loose poops she had.
    Pumpkin is capable of absorbing a lot of moisture so maybe that is where it helps...........but it also helps constipation issues so it is an interesting subject.

Sylvie likes this.
  5. Lillie

Lillie Member

I add it to make my cat's food creamier when it's too chunky and dry. He loves it.

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

It was the only thing that helped Colin when he had diarrhea. I had tried s.boullardii and other remedies found here to no avail.

MelColes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.