B-12 Help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Shelly_F, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Shelly_F

Shelly_F Member

Hello,

I just joined yesterday and read a thread post that contained replies that talked about B-12 for neuropathy and what folks were giving their kitties. I want to go back and read it again but I can't find it. I don't know the thread title that the replies were under. Does anyone happen to know what thread it was and if so can you post the link here for me. Thank you

UPDATE: I found it. This is the thread if anyone else is interested. https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/food-advice.267059/#post-2991306

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Reason for edit: To say I found it.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found it. I used Zobaline. It's all in one and a very small pill.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

What I mean by one pill "all in one" is that it have both the methylcobalamin 3 mg. and the folic acid 200 mcg. together in one pill. That keeps you from having to give two separate pills.

4. Suzanne & Darcy

5. Shelly_F

Shelly_F Member

Oh Yes. I did read them. Thanks so much for following up with me. It has been a whole new ballgame for us dealing with a diabetic cat. At least her numbers have been going down since she got diagnosed. And I have had some pretty stressful days.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Have you set up a spreadsheet?

7. Shelly_F

Shelly_F Member

On here no. I have one in Excel that I started before I found this forum. Things have been so crazy here that I am lucky I have time to breath LOL

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Shelly_F

Shelly_F Member

Wanted to come back and report a finding about giving B-12.
    We just started using the b-12 on Sept 14. I was sprinkling only 1/2 of a pill on her food for a week then switched to full pill on Sept 19. So she has been taking it for a month now and this is what has been discovered.
    Our cat has been taking it for just a little over a month we noticed at night on our security footage that she has been sleeping by her water bowl and getting up to drink every little bit. She was anxious and restless and drinking all this water but it only occurred at night not during the day which is so odd. I could not figure out why she had all this strange behavior all of a sudden crop up. Why the restlessness and increased water consumption. I then assumed she had a UTI so I took a urine sample to the vet to check for infection. The vet calls and says that there is NO signs of infection nothing at all on the UA. He said her urine was perfect and there is still no sugar in her urine, which there has not been sugar in the urine for several months now so this is no surprise to us. I was like how can that be. She has all the signs of an infection this just is not right but the vet reassured me there was no infection to worry about. HUMMMM.....

Then I noticed that this behavior stopped abruptly. She was not sleeping by the water bowl and not drinking every little bit and does not seem anxious either. So I started to wonder why has this water bowl and anxiety behavior all of a sudden just stop. Got to thinking about what we had changed with her. The only thing that is different is, I stopped giving the cat B-12.

Come to find out that B-12 since it is water soluble, meaning it gets eliminated by urination therefore increasing the need for water which leads to more water consumption and urine output of those that take B-12. B-12 also can cause anxiety as well. I am like BINGO that must be what is going on with our cat. When I gave it to her the behavior started and when I stopped giving b-12 the behavior stopped. Then I decided I gave her B-12 again, just to see if the behavior of sleeping by the water bowl and drinking a lot would start again and it did. Then when I stopped giving the B-12 for the second time, the behavior of sleeping by the water bowl and drinking a lot at night stopped again.
    Granite because she is a diabetic she does drink a lot and pee a lot but when she takes the B-12 the the drinking and peeing increased even more. Thank goodness for having an indoor video security system and having a camera that also covers the litter box area so that we can review the video footage of what takes place all day long should an issue a raise.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

That’s interesting. Did the vet test her urine specific gravity (USG) on that urine sample? That would be very good to know for kidney function assessment purposes. I think she may be sensitive to the B-12. I have never noticed this finding in any of my cats. I give Jarrow B-Right B-Complex to my cat, Ginger, daily. That includes 100 mcg of methylcobalamin (B-12.). She also gets monthly B-12 sub-q injections (cyanocobalamin.) My boy Bingley, who is an IBD kitty also receives the cyanocobalamin injections monthly. How much were you giving in milligrams or micrograms? What form/brand? I have given Zobaline with no problems in the past. Perhaps the dose was too high for your baby? Were you giving it for diabetic neuropathy? Is she having trouble walking? What kind of BG numbers are you getting for her?

10. Shelly_F

Shelly_F Member

Yep SG was fine at 1.024. Her BG is great she rarely tests over 200 and is right around 125. It was the Vitacost Methylcobalin at 5000 mcg. that others on here have said they use. Yes it was neuropathy. She does have trouble walking. But wanted to alert others to what has happen to us.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  11. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. It's good that you shared your experience. Thank you!