? BD syringes and caliper measurements

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty and Blue GA & Brat, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

@@Olive & Paula
    @@Butters & Lyla

@Red & Rover (GA) said maybe you could advise me on calipers. I'm using BD syringes and some of the information listed on the caliper sticky doesn't make sense to me. Also, where on the syringe do I measure
    from? There is a ring that protrudes at the bottom of the syringe. Do I measure above that ring?
    The following is what was on the sticky:
    • If you are using BD syringes, you will use the outside edges of the small arms measure the dose

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hi Patty, I didn't see this...I think because the double "@" somehow I didn't get tagged. I'll keep putting info in your other thread since I started responding in there.

3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm using calipers with BD syringes.

Because the way BD are made, we have to use the small arms of the calipers...
    On our syringes, plunger goes up to the barrel, so measurement starts from there; this is our "0" point.
    We align calipers flush to the barrel then draw insulin until the plunger aligns with the lower arm of your calipers. (picture attached)
    That way you will always have a consistent dosing!

On BD, 1.5mm=1u. I did a SS with converted units.
    Also picture showing how to measure 8.25mm.

Hope this help!

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pictures. The dose I'm giving Blue is .5 so I set the caliper at .81 because I read that on the sticky. The small arms overlap so I don't think I'll be able to use them.

5. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

BTW if you're using BD Ultrafine II and you decide to use your calipers, they should be set to 0.75mm for 0.5u (as 1u=1.5mm for BD UltrafineII) and not to 0.81 (this is probably for another type of syringe)! I wish I had experience on small doses but my Ti-Mousse is rather on high doses...:rolleyes:

Maybe you can make yourself a template:
    Set your calipers to the proper dosing;
    Align them at the top of a white sheet of paper and put a line with a fine black marker where the lower arm is;
    You'll know that from the top of the sheet to the black mark is your dosing.

Hope you find a good solution for Blue !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.