BG higher 4 hours after insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by KimH, Dec 16, 2021.

1. KimH

KimH Member

Hi all, I'm new here.

My newly diagnosed diabetic kitty is currently on 1 unit PZI twice daily. He was already eating a mix of wet and dry food so we cut out the dry. I did a full glucose curve (7 readings) a few days ago and his AMPS was 283, 6 hours later 94, and PMPS 465. That day he was still given a very small portion of low carb kibble mid day.

Now he's off of dry completely. Today I prechecked him before dinner and his BS was 178. I still gave him his 1 unit of insulin and watched him closely. When rechecking 4 hours later, it was up to 240 and now I'm totally confused as I expected it to drop.

I'm using the AlphaTrak2 monitor.

Any ideas?

2. KimH

KimH Member

Feeling very discouraged. His glucose was back up to 297 this morning. Pretty sure I gave him a fur shot and 6 hour reading was 360. I feel like I'm making zero progress here and every failed attempt just makes me feel like every day is a wasted chance to get him regulated.

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'm going to hazard a guess he's bouncing from a low sometime yesterday.

Are you withholding food for 2 hours before shot time?

Please reduce to 0.75U. I suspect he went lower the day you got the 94, and also now that the dry is removed 1U is too high.

When you are new to testing and giving insulin and get a preshot BG under 200, we recommend stalling without feeding for 20 minutes to see if they come up a little bit.

Any history of ketones or DKA?

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It takes time...in the order of months. Don't be too hard on yourself. In the grand scheme of all the cats I've seen here, 200s and 300s is very normal and not too bad for starting out.

Bounces can last up to 3 days, he'll come back down.

MisterBillie likes this.
  5. KimH

KimH Member

His feeding schedule is 1 3oz can of Fancy Feast before morning insulin, usually a 1/4 can friskies mid afternoon, and another 3oz can before his PM insulin. Whatever he doesn't finish from the PM FF(usually a small amount) I leave out for him before bed and he eats it around midnight.

If I see another low number, I'll try stalling. He doesn't have a history of ketones or DKA, but he did have a pretty bad UTI this month that led to his Diabetes diagnosis.

FrostD likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

When you say before insulin, is it also before the test? You want the PS shots to be fasting for 2 hrs for consistency (the other tests it does not matter). With ProZinc you test, then feed, then shoot...it can all be in quick succession, no need to wait

When did he start/finish the antibiotics? Generally BG is also higher with infections but should come within a few days of starting treatment.

7. KimH

KimH Member

Hi, I wasn't clear. I test him, feed him, then shoot the insulin. I do wait for him to finish eating before injecting him, mostly because he can be a little skittish while he's eating (always looking over his shoulder nowadays since I keep coming at him with needles!) He doesn't get anything for at least 3-4 hours before his pre-insulin shots to ensure that he eats.

As for the antibiotics, he was on a strong one for about 2 weeks and got an additional long acting injectable last week. He stopped the daily antibiotic a few days ago. The injectable one should last another week. He's not showing any UTI symptoms any longer so that should be cleared up. The vet only did the injectable one because there were trace amounts of bacteria still present a week ago and glucose in his urine.

FrostD likes this.
  8. KimH

KimH Member

Ugh, tonight he's back up to 555. The vet doesn't want us to skip insulin shots unless it drops below 150 pre-shot...but I'm fairly certain he was overdosed last night with 1 unit when his PM pre shot glucose was 178