BG Lower Than Normal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Caitlin & Charleston, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin & Charleston

Caitlin & Charleston Member

I just took a +6 reading for Charleston and he is at 142 on my Alphatrak. This is the lowest reading I've taken for him, so it's making me feel pretty nervous. I'm going to check him again in 30 minutes to see if he is still dropping or going back up. He seems to be feeling fine, he's been playing and running around. Is this cause for concern? Anything I should do other than keep monitoring him? Thanks all!

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's a great number. :) I wouldn't worry about checking him in 30 minutes, maybe an hour if you like to see if he dips any more or starts heading up. He's halfway through the cycle so this may have been his lowest point.

3. Caitlin & Charleston

That makes me feel a lot better, thanks! :bighug:

Since he is so newly diagnosed and I am so nervous about hypos, I think seeing a number in the 100s is just freaking me out. I'll check him again in an hour. And then if he's still below 250 (our no shot #) at PMPS, will have to decide what to do. But, I suppose I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

4. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

So you were nervous too :p Glad i wasn't the only one lol

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Panic is completely right. That’s a great number don't you worry. I’m the opposite now if I see a number above 300 I freak out. Are you feeding him between now and ps time? I’m sure you are so the numbers will go up. Why 250? Shouldn’t it be 200?

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Btw, you’ll eventually want him to be as close to that 68 cut off at nadir so get used to below 100 numbers as well ha! :p

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Lol just wait until you get into the numbers UNDER 100! :woot:

Here's what you can do: get another test in either at +10 or +11 and post it here, if it's lower than you're comfortable with. That will give others time to chime in with opinions. But honestly don't be surprised if he goes up and bounces. He dropped almost 300 points, that alone can cause a bounce since his body isn't used to that number. You probably won't have to worry about PMPS being too low.

8. Caitlin & Charleston

Thanks! And I just read him again at +7 and he seems to be heading back up. I also just gave him some canned food and he is eating. My vet is fairly conservative, so they recommended 250. But, I also reviewed some of the sticky's in the PZI group and they also indicate with an AlphaTrak you might want to do a 225 or 250 no shoot number. The extra margin of safety feels more comfortable for me right now.

I'm looking forward to the point when numbers in the 100s are normal and happen regularly! :)

9. Caitlin & Charleston

Charleston's pmps was 324, so he's getting his full shot tonight. Hopefully these numbers in the 140s today are good news and indicate progress toward getting him regulated. So grateful for this community as I work through my new diagnosis anxiety!

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

You and me both my friend! :bighug:

11. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Hi Caitlin! Just wanted to know how you and Charleston are doing today?

12. Caitlin & Charleston

Hi Lalkabee! Charleston's numbers are back up today, but no numbers in the red, so it feels like we are making progressing. I ordered some purebites, which I think you suggested, and they came today. He loooooooves them and they are making his pokes much easier. Great recommendation, thanks! Hope you and Bee are doing well :)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  13. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Great news! I still have reds for Bee :) Keep the Purebites for test time only. You can buy the purebites for dogs, they are exactly the same but are sold in bigger bags and cheaper $. The chunks are bigger but you can break them in smaller pieces. You can dip the pieces in water to make them tender if they are too hard to swallow...Bee did choke on one when trying to swallow it but she learned to chew after this. :p

Last edited: May 17, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.