? BG over 500+

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karrie Molitor, Oct 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

I am new and still learning about feline diabetes in my cat and what do these numbers tell me? Rambo sometimes has his blood glucose levels over 500+ which is hyperglycemia. His levels really do seem like they are all over the place. Well, today when I tested him at 2:45 pm his BG was 616. How do I help him? This high number can't be good for him either. I already have changed his diet since June and he is on scheduled feedings, he gets Lantus insulin twice a day too. He does not seem effected by the high BG level and has just been sleeping near me all day while I work from home.

2. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That high blood sugar is probably a sign of bouncing, which is caused by either seeing a number lower than he is used to, or a fast drop. Since I don't see any night time tests, and many cats go lower at night, there's a possibility a lower number happened last night. Any chance you can routinely get a before bed test? If it's at least 2 hours after the PM shot, it can give a clue what is happening at night.

I see you note bad teeth/gums. That can also make it hard to get a kitty regulated. Hopefully there's a dental planned.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you work from home, can you try to get some more tests in? The minimum we really need is at least 1 mid-cycle on the AM cycle (if at all possible...some people have to work outside the home) and at least a "before bed" on the PM cycle.

But if you can get more tests in, it's very helpful because it helps fill out the "puzzle". You don't have to go crazy and test every hour on the hour, but maybe one day get a +3, +6, +9 and another get a +2, +5, +8.....just "sprinkle" them around.

You don't have to stay up all night testing, but getting at least a +2 or +3 can almost act like a crystal ball in predicting where Rambo might be going later in the cycle. If it's lower than the PMPS, that can mean he's going to drop a lot lower later on so you may need to either stay up or set an alarm to get a test later in the cycle. A lot of us drink a big glass of water in the evening so we "have to" get up....and as long as we're up anyway, might as well grab a test!

I was a test-o-holic, but if you look at China's spreadsheet, you can see that I tested all kind of times. No official "curves" but I had more than enough information without one

5. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

I will try and get more tests in. Specifically some PM ones before bed time. Today, Rambo started out with decent numbers but then at 3 pm it shot up to 509 when an hour before he was 133. How do I prevent bouncing numbers? I work from home for now but work may be requiring us to go into the office a few days out of the week. I am so worried to leave him home alone with his levels being so funky.

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

When you get am unexpected number like that I would double check and retest. Sometimes too small a drop or a bad strip can give a bad reading.

Edit: it's hard to say for sure if he's bouncing without more tests, like Wendy mentioned. But given the sporadic blues and yellows it's likely. Some cats just bounce until their body gets used to lower numbers, it can take time as getting to the right insulin dose as well.

7. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

For Rambo's PMPS he tested at 155. Should I still give him insulin? I am not sure how low he has to be when I don't administer it.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's been half an hour. Can you retest now and see if he's come up some? Have you fed him yet?

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

She's started another thread HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.