Blood Ketone Meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NicoleC46237, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

What blood ketone meter do you use and where did you get it? I am wanting to test at home and catching Lou pee is not an option so I'll need to test his blood. I would like to go with your expertise on getting a good meter for this. TIA guys!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

They are just simply excellent! I have Abbott Exceed/Precision. And it is a life saver to test the B blood ketone in one single drop as well. Since I live in Sweden and I wrote to Abbott Sweden and asked about it and they simply sent me a brand new for free. This was in 2008.

I know there are others and perhaps not as expensive as the Abbott. But well worth the investment to be able to catch an early DKA and head direct to ER. A Life Saver.

Deb & Wink and NicoleC46237 like this.
  3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

4. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Juls and Billy got the Precision Xtra.
    (her internet connect has died, last night. So I'm answering for her.)

Juls and Billy and NicoleC46237 like this.
  6. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Deb is absolutely right. Got the Precision Xtra through Amazon and ordered the strips specifically for ketones. (It measures BGL too, but we don't use it for that. ReliOn strips are much cheaper for BG.) Our Billy is a shy pee'er, and the blood meter worked great. Strips are about $1 a strip, but you don't have to test ketones every day, so it's not that bad.

Deb & Wink and NicoleC46237 like this.
  7. sandscout

sandscout Member

@Juls and Billy, how small of a blood drop does your meter take to read? I’m using the AlphaTrak II, but I’d like to get a blood and ketone meter that would need a very tiny amount of blood for a reading.
    Thx,
    Susan

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

It takes a pretty big drop of blood. Though you do have a few seconds to dip it in a second time. It's a human meter, but I don't think they make pet ketone meters.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.