Bouncing and lower pre shots

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kayles.T, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Kayles.T

Kayles.T New Member

Hi all, hope everyone is well :)

Henry is on 5.25iu Prozinc
    I was starting to think I was never going to see good numbers but I think we are around his optimum dose

5.5iu generally makes him drop to around 7 (130) but I’ve seen as low as 5 (101)

The thing is that he bounces so often after these numbers, then it takes him a cycle to recover, then he gets lower than usual numbers!
    I’m reluctant to give full dose on lower pre-shot numbers as I don’t want him to bounce again (and I work so I can’t mid-day test)
    I was worrying that 5.5iu may be taking him lower than 5 when I’m not around to test so I thought I’d cut back to 5.25iu

But my main issue is knowing what to shoot with his lower preshot numbers. His food doesn’t seem to spike his BS which is good to know!

If I get low early cycle number and I think he may bounce I’ll give him a little low carb kibble to try and stop it!

any ideas on how I should proceed. I feel I could do with more data regarding what certain doses do to certain preshot numbers for each cycle but it’s going to take me a while to build that data with my working hours!

I’d appreciate any thoughts on dosing lower numbers!
    :)

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Tagging Suzanne for you and Melissa
    @Suzanne & Darcy

@FrostD

Also can you move your US tab for 2023 over to the left so when someone opens your SS that's the first tab we see
    Here are the instructions

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...e-move-your-2023-ss-tab-s-to-the-left.272461/

Kayles.T likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Your previous post
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...hange-or-any-other-ideas.272232/#post-3030442

If you can fill out what we call our signature that will be helpful,it's at the end of everyone's post in gray

To set up your signature which you will see is at the end of everyone's post in gray, click on your name up top and then tap on the word signature and add this information
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Take a look at mine

Kayles.T likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Suzanne & Darcy
    Hi Suzanne I see you went to bed can you check on this tomorrow

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Kayles.T
    Can you add the meter you are using to your signature also
    You need to pick a dosing method also
    Here is the link , and please add it to your signature and SS
    Thanks Kayleigh

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Suzanne & Darcy
    Morning Suzanne , do you think Kayleigh should start posting on the Main forum?

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi there. You really do need to gather more data and it will take time. You may be able to get more in the evenings? Bouncing is something we all hate and it's just a part of the process with feline diabetes :-( There's only one way to sometimes get them to be less bouncy and that is IF they are the kind of cat who does steep dives (like maybe 100 points in an hour, for example) and IF you can feed them medium or higher carb snacks during the hours that they typically dive, then you may be able to prevent a bounce. But some cats are not bouncing because they are diving too fast, they're just bouncing because they get into lower numbers where their cats is not comfortable... so they bounce. This is the case for a lot of cats. Cats will bounce from yellow, some cats from blue, or green. I've even seen cats used to being in reds and blacks who will bounce when they get a pink number. It's very frustrating. It's so hard to see those higher numbers on their spreadsheets, isn't it. With your work schedule, you could get an automatic feeder and have low or medium carb food dispensed at particular hours of the day. This should alleviate some of your worry.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

From the data that you have, he's been in safe blue numbers. On February 2, with the yellow preshot, you gave 5 units and it looks like he did just fine. Do you think so? Then yesterday he had another similar yellow preshot and you only gave 3.5 units. It looks like that may not have been enough. Would you consider putting a Freestyle Libre sensor on him to gather data during the day while you are away? This would be for about two weeks and you may not need to put another one on after that -- if you feel you have enough data to see what's happening. Also, weekends would be a great time to get mid-cycle daytime information -- and it looks like you've been trying to do that.

Is there any way of making his shot time an hour earlier so that you could get a +2 on him before you leave for work? I'm looking at his sheet and it looks like you have to leave one hour after his shot, which is a little too early to tell if he's going to go low. But again, his numbers that you have on the SS are all safe blue numbers. This is just a thought. I'm trying to throw ideas out there for your consideration.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. Sorry. I did read this yesterday and intended to answer -- was actually pondering over Henry's situation. I was trying to help Lee and Spike for a lot of the day and I also had to take my kids to class, take cats to the vet and had choir practice in the evening... busy day. Thanks very much as always, Diane!

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I've got to leave the house in about an hour and a half, but I will check in a little bit later. What time zone are you in Kayleigh? By the way, it seems like you are really doing a good job with Henry and I'm proud of how you are managing him even with what look to be long working hours. That's what I was thinking yesterday when I saw your post and looked at his sheet.

11. Kayles.T

Kayles.T New Member

Hiya,

thanks so much for your replies and insights- I really appreciate it!
    I’m in the UK and work in a hospital with on call/ nights and weekends so can be a bit tricky at times!

But I’m pretty happy with the direction things are headed- and Henry is appearing so well! He gets a bit of diarrhoea when he bounces high - and I think it’s not due to steep dives, it’s because he isn’t used to these lower numbers! I’m hopeful that with some more time he will tolerate them more!

I’m happy to keep building up data on these lower pre-shot numbers so that I will hopefully have a better idea and feel more confident when shooting them! I will consider a libre but I’m pretty sure henry will get it off!!

I can’t do an earlier shot time due to work unfortunately!

I appreciate all your thoughts and feedback so much! Fingers crossed for this next stage of our adventure :joyful:

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Keep us posted on how he is doing. I’m very pleased to hear that Henry is feeling better and behaving as though he feels better! Let’s keep this trend going.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

I was afraid he would be pink this morning after seeing last night’s blue. Sigh! Oh well, it’s good to see that he can at least get into lower numbers- even if he’s not used to them.

14. Kayles.T

Kayles.T New Member

Thank you :D
    I’ll keep you posted- I’ll keep my patient pants on !!:joyful:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.