? Brand New, Many Questions :3

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BillyTherCat, Nov 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyTherCat

BillyTherCat New Member

Hello all, my cat, Billy, has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and recovered from ketoacidosis (Hospital stay, multiple days.) Its been about two weeks since then and she is doing much better! High protien food (tikki cat wet food) and insulin, ProZinc, twice a day.

I have a ReliOn Micro and micro plus strips I'm using to test her; I've just started today. Her first reading was "134 mg/dl" . From what I've read so far this is good? I'm looking to confirm that.

In addition, she is a rescue and was 9 when we got her. She had come from a hording and abandonment situation. The prior owner became too elderly to continue taking care of her multiple cats, allegedly. However, what was very clear is that she had absolutely had to fight for her food before, as well as probably gone hungry. Because of this, she becomes very anxious if there is not something to munch on available at all times.

She has a few times run around yelling when out of food, then coughs/throws up tiny amount of whitish foam. This only happens when she wants food and there isn't one something out. Could I feed her 3 times a day?

Lastly, since she got back, her poop has been these sort of half puddles half solid stool. Should I be worried?

Thank you for reading this all. Any advice or thoughts on any of these matters is greatly appreciated.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome so we can help you can you please fill this out
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.
    Please make sure that you add to your signature ketoacidosis in the past

You need to test Billy every time before giving insulin ,to be sure her BG is a safe number to shoot , if you're not sure please post for help

You can read about prozinc here , read all the yellow stickys
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

The signature is at the end of everyone's post in gray writing and the spreadsheet is attached to it
    Here is the link so you can read about the spreadsheet and see how it works
    If you need help setting it up we have a wonderful member who will set it up for you just ask
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Poor baby must be starving we feed our cats more than 3 times a day
    Bigger meal first thing in the morning , then multiple times after that, same goes for the night cycle

I see you just started testing which is good
    I'm going to tag some prozinc user to read your intro and the BG you got
    @JanetNJ

@FrostD

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    BillyTherCat likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. BillyTherCat

BillyTherCat New Member

Ahh thank you so much! I had been told she must be fed only twice a day very strictly, and she must not snack. She has been getting sufficient amount of food, just she wants something to stay out all the time. I will be sure to go through all your resources and update everything of mine.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are welcome
    You can also give her some of these snacks also
    You can give her any freeze dried treats for a snack
    most members give freeze dried treats , they are low carb, you can probably find them in some local pet stores also
    I did a search for you on here and copied what some members said they use,

When testing you can give them a treat so they will associate after testing they will get a reward, any freeze dried treats are ok such as
    PureBites Freeze-Dried Cat Treats with Chicken Breast 2.3 oz ()https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071P

Also chewys has freeze dried treats also

The freeze dried treats you can get at petsmart, petco and order from chewy. Purebites is popular (cheaper if you buy the dog food ones). My crew like vital essentials it's dehydrated freeze dried raw comes in flavors

freeze dried minnows, made by Vital Essentials. I also buy the ones made for dogs. They're the same as the freeze dried minnows for cats. just cheaper. They also carry other freeze dried treats. I ordered mine through Amazon.

I think the vital essentials are more of a crunchy texture than the purebites

If you cat likes any of these you can buy the bigger bags for dogs they are the same ,you will get more for your money just break then up into smaller pieces

You can Google freeze dried treats and see what other ones there are and different flavors
    Just make sure that is the only ingredient in them meaning turkey, chicken, minnows etc

Here is another one , I see you can get these in different flavors also just look
    You may have to break any freeze dried treats in half if they are too big
    https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Essent...ocphy=9003521&hvtargid=pla-630511512365&psc=1

Flavor Name: Duck Liver
    Ahi Tuna
    • Chicken
    • Chicken Giblets
    • Chicken Hearts
    • Duck Liver
    • Minnows
    • Rabbit

7. BillyTherCat

BillyTherCat New Member

Again, many many thanks. I am looking over the sheets and references and I am not sure that I understand all the numbers yet but I am sure I will get there. I would love to use something less expensive. Fortunately due to my other cats sensitive stomach we already had some rather high protein leveled foods. However, I must be dumb and missing where it says about how much % of each thing is the goal. above 40% protien is considered high right?

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!! Tiki cat is a great choice. Yes, do feed more than twice a day. I always fed 4 times a day. just no food at least two hours prior to the preshot test. Great job learning to test already!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.