Breakthrough dose no longer working?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by TheCatCPA, Jan 15, 2023.

1. TheCatCPA

TheCatCPA New Member

Please delete the thread. I have the problem figured out.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hello. I would like to help, but without much data, I am not sure where to begin. Bounces should clear by the end of six cycles. If high numbers persist beyond that then it’s possible that something else is going on — like it’s not a bounce at all but more insulin MAY be needed. Without a spreadsheet with data on there, I really have no idea what is happening with your cat. One thing I wonder though is: have you had your cat tested for acromegaly? 7.5 units is considered a high dose and it’s possible your cat is insulin resistant due to excess growth hormone. Insulin auto antibodies are also a possibility. Can you provide any more information? @FrostD can you add anything?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Again… we need more hard information, but is it possible that each day you are having a low number or a steep drop and triggering repeated bounces?

4. apollonia-artemisia

apollonia-artemisia Member

Are you able to link your spreadsheet so we could at least try to figure it out? Even if its your own system? Otherwise, most folks (if not all) will not feel comfortable giving advice regarding dose. A list of numbers from readings with dose info and how long into the cycle might also work, or possibly a glucose curve graph with points marked out.

5. TheCatCPA

TheCatCPA New Member

I am not asking for dosing advice. I'm asking if two things are possible. 1) Is it possible for a bounce to last longer than 3 days? 2) Is it possible for a breakthrough dose to need increased later? These are answerable without data. I have it figured out though. Appears to be a long bounce. Thank you.

6. apollonia-artemisia

Theoretically you could have multiple bounces in a row. Theres also the potential that insulin needs have changed but best to consult vet to confirm that, especially because of the possibility of insulin overdose leading to hypoglycemia and having hyperglycemia as a rebound due to that. It can be easily dangerous to mess around with higher and higher doses, which is why the push for a spreadsheet. Its to keep your cat safe, so folks can account for all the variables. It does not mean we doubt you. Fyi, on average diabetic cats with no other conditions complicating things (like acromegaly) only need 1-2 units of prozinc x2 a day.

7. TheCatCPA

TheCatCPA New Member

I understand. I have followed the sticky thread without problem until this week. It seems to tell a person everything they need to know regarding dosage increases and bouncing. I didn't see the questions I asked in the thread, so I asked. Fortunately I work remotely and test all of the time. I figured the high dose breakthrough was attributed glucose toxicity, but I'm making an appointment for acromegaly testing tomorrow.

8. apollonia-artemisia

Sounds good. I would also potentially look into if there's an infection thats complicating things, as that can also mess with glucose levels and how a cat can respond to insulin. Hope you get some answers soon

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Thank you. I'm a lurker who has been following the sticky without problems until today. My spreadsheet makes sense to me but doesn't comply with forum requirements. I figured the possibility of the basic questions I presented could be addressed without data. Just took PMPS and it's falling back within my expectations so I figure she is finally clearing a long bounce. Is acromegaly on a standard blood panel or should it be ordered separately? Sorry for being difficult and thanks for the information you did provide.
    You have not caused any problems at all and nobody is upset with you at all. I did not think you were asking for dosing advice. I do hope that she has cleared a long bounce but I was wondering if maybe she was having several bounces from steep drops. The test for Acromegaly and IAA is only performed by Michigan State University laboratories. It’s not really expensive. The shipping overnight (frozen samples) is somewhat expensive though.

Please forgive me if I have offended you. I wanted to try to answer with little information. Can you see how even answering the question about a bounce lasting more than six cycles depends upon the numbers- like I said - I couldn’t see if there were steep drops or anything.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

And I dearly hope that you get your sweet kitty back into remission.

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Insulin needs can and do change. More than likely at this dose, if on low carb food, you are dealing with an underlying condition. Those especially can cause the dose needs to fluctuate due to the mechanisms of the conditions.

If it was a long bounce, your cat would have a history of long bounces. We almost never see a cat with a bounce longer than 3 days, as mentioned it could be separate bounces in succession.

If you are in the US or Canada, consider testing for IAA as well. If any symptoms of Cushing's or thyroid problems, those as well.