? Buzz Buzz 224 BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BarbsSugarBabyKitty, Jan 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarbsSugarBabyKitty

BarbsSugarBabyKitty New Member

Good morning!
    We are new here as I have not posted in awhile but not new to feline diabetes.
    Over the years I have had a diabetic cat and dog prior to Buzz Buzz.
    Buzz Buzz was diagnosed 2/20 at the age of 5 after having several teeth extracted.
    A long story of ketoacidosis, Hypoglycemia and an emergency vet visit that got us in the right direction.

Buzz has bee doing well and went from 7 lbs to 11.5 lbs and has been week regulated until today.
    He is on 4 units of Lantus 2x a day with his last curve being done 3 weeks ago. We were told to use an Alpha Trac2 by the vet and realize that on this forum the preferred meter is a human meter.

I am here because something changed with Buzz in the last few days. It is often difficult to do testing as he knows the click of the strip container and hides. LOL!

Today he has been wandering around wanting food and is restless. A sign something is off and to check his blood. At hour 7 after the injection his bg was at 225 on the Alphatrac2 meter. My gut was telling me that he at some point had dropped too low. I fed him a can of Fancy Feast and rechecked at hour 12 or 2 hours after feeding him a can of fancy feast his reading was 294 bg.

Is this the normal range? i noticed in my last curve that at hour 7 there was a low.
    I hesitate to inject him as the numbers are way lower than they ever were .

My wording here is that of a newbie to the group. Guess I am looking for advise.
    Thank-you everyone.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Barb.
    Are you testing Buzz Buzz before every shot of insulin to make sure his numbers are in a safe range to give the insulin shot? Do you have a spreadsheet with the numbers?
    4 units twice a day is on the bigger side. I'm guessing you started off at 1 unit and increased along the way. Did you increase in 0.25 unit increments?
    If Buzz Buzz is acting restless, and wanting food, I would be concerned that either he is feeling his blood sugar is too low and needs food, or maybe it's too high. Either way, he is feeling off. I would get that BG test, and let us know what the result is. I'm guessing the +7 and +12 you noted were from yesterday. I would do a urine ketone test as soon as possible, too. You can buy ketone test strips at any pharmacy if you don't already have some.
    Normal range on an alphatrac meter would be somewhere around 80 to 140, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.