Cabergoline as a possible treatment for acrocats: discussion

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Wendy&Neko, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A trial has been underway for a while by the Royal Veterinary Clinic, to use the drug cabergoline to help our acrocats. Here is my first post on it. Since then, we've had a few acrocats try the drug, and even had one here, Marvin go OTJ! The results of the RVC study are supposed to be out shortly, and if anyone finds the paper or link to the paper, please add it to the discussion. Christopher Scudder is the lead researcher at RVC. Paul @Bronx's dad listed some early trial results in this post. I also found another trial done in South America, where another acro went off insulin.
    Pharmalogical treatment with cabergoline in three cats with acromegaly, to be published in Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias (RCCP). Cats on that trial were dosed every other day vs. every day on the RVC trial. One of those three cats also went OTJ.

My purpose in starting this post is as a discussion place of experiences, doses, possible side effects, or other information that might be useful to anyone considering trying cabergoline for their kitty. I am including some random selection from other discussions/posts. @Marvin's Mom - Nat, @Beenie, @Adrian and Chino, @Bronx's dad , please add your thoughts and experiences. @Jadi & Tiffany and @Karen & Lily are also looking into this.

A quote on current RVC dosing: "We are currently only managing the trial in the UK but have been in contact with others outside the UK who wish to try it. We use a starting dose of cabergoline of 10 micrograms per kilogram by mouth once daily. It seems to have a slow onset of action, unlike pasireotide which has a rapid onset of action. The have been monitoring diabetic control as we would do any other diabetic cat (mainly monitoring clinical signs such as thirst, urination, appetite and body weight but also using fructosamine testing) and also monitoring the IGF1 levels. Our time schedule for the IGF1 testing is after 1 month, 3 months and 6 months of receiving the medication.

The main possible side effects of the medication are gastrointestinal upset such as reduced appetite and diarrhoea. I think some cats have experienced reduced appetite but not to the extent of requiring to discontinue to drug. I have known one cat that did need four days of hospitalisation due to pancreatitis and I do not know if this was drug induced or not. If this medication has been ineffective then when the drug is discontinued, I recommended weaning the medication over three weeks to avoid a syndrome described in people as dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I do not know if this happens in cats and have yet to see any signs that it happens. I also recommend that women who are pregnant or hoping to get pregnant do not handle the medication as it is known to cause abortion in cats."

So far, everyone using the drug is getting it compounded into liquid format.

We do not know much about long term effects of this drug, and it is a drug that may have to be used for the life of the cat.

There is a lot we don't know about the use of this drug. In Marvin's case, the impacts and dose reductions came very quickly, 3 weeks after starting the drug. In the South American study, they were still seeing improvments between 3 and 6 months after starting the trial.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Reason for edit: changed link to South American paper
  2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

This thread is a wonderful idea Wendy and it will be good to have as much information about members using cabergoline as possible all in one place. There could be some valuable information gained by having this compiled thread. Bookmarked this thread!! :bighug::bighug:

3. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

The study completed in South America looks very promising! Fingers crossed that cabergoline will help our acrocats!

Teresa & Buddy and Beenie (GA) like this.
  4. Adrian and Chino

Adrian and Chino Well-Known Member

This is interesting. It looks like all 3 cats in the study showed a response in the first 4 weeks when they were only getting 10 µg/kg every 72 hours:

An oral dose of 10 µg/Kg Cbg every 72 hours (Wanke et al., 2002)
    was prescribed, maintaining the same doses of insulin (Case 1: 7 U/cat, Case 2: 14 U/cat,
    Case 3: 9 U/cat) and their frequency (b.i.d) in each cat. At home, the owners controlled water
    consumption, appetite, urination and behavior, and they modified the insulin dose according
    to the values of glucose obtained before each application of insulin through a portable
    glucometer; additionally, a complete physical examination was performed on each cat, each
    week. By the fourth week, there was a partial resolution of clinical signs with glycemias
    averaging 15 mmol/L in the three cats, without exceeding 17 mmol/L (IR: 3.8 – 8.3 mmol/L),
    with the following b.i.d. insuline/cat dose: 3.5 U (Case 1, previously 7 U), 8 U (Case 2,
    previously 14 U) and 5 U (Case 3, previously 9 U)

(17 mmol/L = 306 mg/dL)

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  5. Chubba (GA)

I just found a post on the diabetic remission clinic of RVC's webpage that shows Chris presenting the results. Hopefully, we can see the results soon.

6. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Susan G & Jimmy G likes this.
  7. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Are there any kitties with HCM taking the drug?

Teresa & Cricket likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

That was one of the reasons I decided not to try the drug, that plus they had no track record yet and Neko had enough on her plate. At the time, Chris didn't think it was that big a worry. But that was over a year ago.

9. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Ok. Thanks. I think doing what we're doing with his insulin is all we can handle right now...and he's doing OK esp when he dips under the 300 mark. Breathing, heart rate, appetite, etc all improves at the mark. Green is no longer our goal. Solid days of yellows is what we're shooting for....literally. o_O

10. Wendy&Neko

Maximizing time under renal threshold is a better goal. Acromegaly by itself is hard on kidneys, without the added complication of high blood sugar. When I made the decision on cabergoline, Neko had CKD, HCM and lymphoma to deal with. And lots of meds.

Kokkinoulis likes this.
  11. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I sent in Buddy's sample's to MSU today for testing. I did the leg work, but with info I received from Susan G & Jimmy G. My vet did the blood work and when I find out the results, I am to let her know so she can write a script.

I find it very promising that some kitty's were able to cut back on their insulin. This was a very good idea to start this thread.

12. Beenie (GA)

Ok Teresa that is great that your vet is on board and you were able to get the samples to MSU. Everyone is here to help:bighug:

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  13. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

My Cabergoline from Diamond Back Pharmacy just came today. I am reading as much as I can and do not see at this point what we possibly have to lose. Based on these studies do you think I should still give a dose every day? And, since it is in liquid, is it okay to mix with a little food when giving it to her? Anything else that you all can tell me before I begin would be great. (How often should I test...?) @Wendy&Neko @Marvin's Mom - Nat @Bronx

My vet seriously is in uncharted territory, so any help, advice that you can give me is appreciated!!

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  14. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Congrats and good luck. I will be following your journey. Also tagging @Beenie as she just started a few weeks ago too.

Jadi & Tiffany likes this.
  15. Beenie (GA)

I mix it with her AMPS LC snack. She gobbles it all right up. I know Nat gave it straight from the syringe. Beenie doesn't like to be "forced" to take meds so I had asked the pharmacy if mixing it in with food would be ok and they said sure. I'm giving it every day based on what the RVC did and hope for the best.

Best of luck to you and can't wait to cheer you on your journey:bighug:

16. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Amethyst was just diagnosed 9/19/2017 her number is 100 Can she be put on Cabergoline with her ASTHMA and GLAUCOMA??

17. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

I am not sure, maybe. I would check with your vet or pharmacist to see if there is known reaction with the other meds she is on. I doubt there would be, but I think the pharmacist should be able to look into it. Again it probably would be based on human reaction.

18. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Well I can only speak for me, but I would give it to her every day... mind you I maybe a bit bias... also compounded meds are typically only good for 30 days. So you would lose effectiveness of the med, since I assume you got enough for one month based on daily dose

19. Pamela & Amethyst

When Dr Bonnie called me tonight I asked her about medication. She said there was none!! I just left a message for her and told her about the Cabergoline and do not know if she will put Amethyst on it or not?

20. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Most vets do not know about this drug. It's being trialed by RVC, so it is still experimental. My vet agreed to try it out for Marvin, as we figured we had nothing to lose. so you may need to educate her. The researcher at RVC had offered to talk to my vet if my vet wanted that. In my case my vet didn't call as I had the dosing information. However I think others here may have had their vet contact RVC for information. Not sure. @Beenie @Bronx's dad

21. Pamela & Amethyst

OKAY THANK YOU:bighug:

22. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I forwarded an email from Chris at RVC to my IM vet and that was enough to get him on board.

23. Pamela & Amethyst

24. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Can you mix it in with a little food when giving it to them?

25. Pamela & Amethyst

Where is the Royal Veterinary Clinic Located??? Thanks! I just google it and several came up I want to tell my Vet about them:cat:

26. Marvin's Mom - Nat

It is in the UK, think it is in London. here is the link to their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RVC.Diabetic.Remission.Clinic/

27. Bronx's dad (GA)

Yes, that's what I did

28. Marvin's Mom - Nat

29. Pamela & Amethyst

30. Tuxedo Mom

I am very curious. Has RVC offered any explanation for the reasons behind so many kitties developing pituitary tumours? My GA kitty was not Acro...he was Cushing's but still caused by a pituitary tumour. With such a large percentage of kitties being diagnosed as acro ( and it may even be higher because of under-diagnosing) I wonder if RVC has done any research into possible environmental/nutritional/??? causes...what is behind this "epidemic"?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. :oops:

31. Beenie (GA)

I don't think its off topic at all. I came on board here in May and there is an up tick on kitties getting tested and so far any cat that has gotten tested has come back positive. I too wonder why??

32. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks Michelle. My question does not relate to cabergoline as such, but more so to what is causing such a large % of kitties to develop these pituitary tumours. Maybe there is no research done or no answers, but if there is perhaps people could be proactive in using approaches that may help prevent this. Probably too involved a question to get answers to, but still I wonder if there is something in blood work/hormone testing that could predict the likelihood of this developing before it actually happens, or meds that could control the body processes that lead to these tumours forming.

33. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

I was saying the same thing to my husband last night. Maybe it's because I'm more aware now, but it's almost as if Acro is the new hyperthyroidism...a few cats were diagnosed and then an explosion of cats were getting it. Why??Why?? :banghead::banghead:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  34. Teresa & Buddy

My vet was not looking for Acro, when I asked her about Acro, she said she had not seen it that often. Our vet wanted to increase Buddy's dose till he got to 13u, then change his insulin. I am guessing if a kitty does not have obvious signs of Acro, a doc probably does not think of it. When I suggested taking care of everything, she was willing to do the blood draw and try one of the compounding pharmacys she uses for Cabergoline. She is very busy and does not have a lot of help at this time, I can see where this would be very time consuming, for all of the steps to find out about Acro.

I did get Buddy's Blood work to MSU, they told me that one test would be done today (Wednesday) and I could get the results Friday. Not to be nosy, would anyone mind telling what they pay for a 30 day supply of Cabergoline.

35. Bronx's dad (GA)

36. Tuxedo Mom

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  37. Beenie (GA)

I paid $69.96 for a 30 day supply.

38. Beenie (GA)

The full study shows a before and after pic of a kitty with broad facial features caused by the bone growth. Very interesting to see the difference as I wondered what it would look like.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  39. Bronx's dad (GA)

I paid about $95 for 37 day supply at the smaller 5ml/kg dose, but Bronx is a big cat. Dosage is weight-dependent.

40. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy, weighs between 13 to 14 lbs, how much does Bronx weigh. Also, I live in a small town in Indiana and I am guessing you live in a bigger town.

41. Bronx's dad (GA)

He was about 17lbs at that time, we started at the .4ml dose ($95/37 days) and then doubled to .8ml ($190 for 37 days). My north Jersey vet used a compound pharmacy in south Jersey since they had a better price than the local compound pharmacy. Many folks use DiamondBack in AZ for compound meds since they seem to have the best prices, which I didn't know at that time.

42. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  43. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

It's interesting though...Jimmy has a female sibling who from the time we rescued them was a bit smaller than Jimmy. Looking back Jimmy grew at a faster rate than his sister. His appetite was always bigger too. We lived in a house for the first five years of their life and for the past 6 we have lived in a boat. Jimmy kept growing and eating and Marley stayed essentially the same size. We don't have a typical environment with rugs, curtains sofas and such. But for sure we have dust despite being surrounded by water. Anyway, I think Jimmy was prob just born with it and it was always present albeit slow growing and didn't show symptoms until the excessive drinking and urination at around age 11. Why Jimmy and not Marley? Same environment and same food. Still it just sucks no matter what the cause.

44. Pamela & Amethyst

HI I was wondering where everyone gets their Cabergoline???:cat:

45. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, How is Bronx doing. I saw on a post where you were going to lower his dose.
    Thank you, I don't know how I can afford everything. I guess where there is a will, there is a way.

46. Beenie (GA)

I get my script filled locally. You will need your vet to write the script. Do you have a pharmacy locally that does compounding? If not it seems some here use DiamondBack in AZ , here's their website

47. Pamela & Amethyst

Thank you I left a message for Animal Pharm they are local no one called me back yet. I will use Diamond Back if I have to. First I have to get her VET on board!!!:oops:

Marvin's Mom - Nat likes this.
  48. Wendy&Neko

It's hyperthyroidism. The RVC research about PDBE's also thought there was a heriditary component. And a link to Paul's original post with article links.

49. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi Has anyone gotten the Cabergoline in a Tuna Flavor Compound from Diamond Back? What was the price? Thanks:cat:

50. Beenie (GA)

I'm tagging @Jadi & Tiffany as I believe they just ordered from Diamond Back. Not sure what the shipping charges would be so that will add to it.

So I see you're in MA so I called the compounding pharmacy just now that I used (in NY much closer than AZ) and they ship as well. They'd be happy to assist. Here's their website http://www.crossriverpharmacy.com/

Based on some of prices I seen Cross River is very reasonable, I paid $69

51. Pamela & Amethyst

Thank you for all of your help and support:bighug::bighug:

52. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Hi there,
    Yes, I did just order from Diamond Back. I did chicken, but I believe they have fish flavor. It was a total of $53.00 (Including shipping)

53. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi thanks for getting back to me. $53.00 for a month?? that is very reasonable. I live in Mass. I am waiting for Amethyst VET to get on board and write the script!!!:cat:

54. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

We are on day 2 of giving her the medicine. I am hopeful!!! My vet is learning and reading as we go as well. This group has been so encouraging to us. Good luck!

55. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Yes, it is for the month.

56. Pamela & Amethyst

Thank you I spoke with my local and she could not give me any prices without the script she also said that the TUNA could only be filled for 2 weeks at a time??

57. Pamela & Amethyst

THank you I am forever grateful for everyone here:bighug:

58. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Darn! I just double checked with Diamond Back and it is a 30 day supply. I am mixing it in with a small amount of Tiff's favorite cat food. Maybe that would alleviate the taste?

59. Pamela & Amethyst

My little girl will not eat when there is medicine in her food She is very picky That is why I need TUNA flavored she will take that from a syringe a least she did when I had to give her prednisone last year. My local Animal Pharmacist said that this is icky tasting plain. hopefully your little one will take it with her food Good Luck:cat:

60. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

61. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

You are welcome! I don't always post every day, but we have been blown away at how Tiff seems to be responding. Her numbers are good and her dose is going down. Most importantly, she has been like her old self these past few days - more active, running through the house and wanting to play. My vet high fived me in the office the other day and is blown away that this is happening. I don't want to be too optimistic, but so far I am so happy with are doing the Cabergoline.

62. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

That's awesome! I would love to even have a glimpse of my old cat back. I have emailed my vet and will see what he says. He is supportive of my managing of the diabetes and megacolon. I think he is learning a lot too!

63. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin personality is back, mind you he had severe neuropathy due to the diabetes, so he is not quite back to normal as he still can't walk properly or jump, however he is moving a round alot more, and still seeing improvements. So the neuropathy is improving. Getting him regulated was key. Seeing his personality back is a blessing, his quality of life is 100 x better. He actually went upstairs to nap with me this weekend. First time since January, which shows he is still improving. Well worth it for me.

64. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

Wow, that's something! I would also love a reprieve from feeding every 3 hours. It's like having a newborn!

65. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

Has anyone giving Cabergoline had the ILGF-1 retested?
    Also does anyone know of the latest RVC findings of their study?
    Thank you!

66. Bronx's dad (GA)

My info from RVC is from April/May, but back then, the one of six cats that was doing well on the Cabergoline still had about the same IGF1 level as when she started about 8 weeks prior. There might be updates if anybody else has recently corresponded with Chris at RVC.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  67. Chubba (GA)

I keep checking their Website, but nothing has been posted about the results yet. If Gizmo ever responds to the cabergoline, I believe my vet wants to redo the IGF-1 test.

68. Marvin's Mom - Nat

I haven't re-done the 1-GF1 test, too pricey here to get it done at the moment. I may get it done in the future, there are other expenses with Marvin I need to look into, heart mur mur, teeth cleaning, and I am sure that will add up quick. Plus, doggy seems to have a little lump near his eye that just showed up last week. :arghh:.... need to find a rich man I think

69. Chubba (GA)

Oh no ... hope the little lump is nothing. :bighug:

70. Beenie (GA)

I want to have the tests done again. I want to give it a year. More to see if the IAA percentage is reduced and of course if there is a difference in the IGF-1 growth hormone output.
    Oh Nat I hope its no big deal:bighug:

71. Teresa & Buddy

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to reduce the IAA. I had the test from MSU ran on samples that I sent from Buddy's doctor. When the results came back his ACRO score was around 64, but his IAA was 84. I sent everything in myself after the vet did the blood work, but the vet that I spoke to from MSU was really secretive and said he would be willing to speak to Buddy's vet. I told her that he wanted to speak to her, when she got the time she called MSU and they would not let her speak to him without a signed release of information. It was a big mess, but he wanted a test for hypothyroidism (spelling). We had he test ran and it was negative, but no other ideas. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with IAA and how it worked out.

72. Beenie (GA)

Hi Teresa. An IAA diagnosis and a negative Acro is very good news!!! IAA is self limiting. They say it can take about a year. Check out @Sandy and Black Kitty SS and journey. Black Kitty tested positive for IAA and she did go off OTJ. Took 22 months. You have to stay on top of the increases to overwhelm the antibodies. See this sticky

73. Wendy&Neko

@Teresa & Buddy you might want to start a separate post about Buddy's his diagnosis to get more experienced eyes. Most people looking at this post will be caregivers of acros. I have some links to IAA info, but would rather keep this post focussed on cabergoline.

74. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Anyone on their second or third month of Cabergoline? If so - can you share you experience with other Acro related side effects (besides the insulin needs)?Have you seen improved pain management without meds? If you have or are experiencing GI issues? Mega colon improvement? TIA

Mom2Maverick likes this.
  75. Beenie (GA)

Hmm not sure who is 2-3 months in. Seems like a few started recently, less than 2 months. Adrian and Chino weened off it a few weeks ago as he felt it wasn't helping.

I'll share my experience anyway :smuggrin:.
    Overall I see an improvement with Beenie. Only catch is there's no way to really know if it's the Cabergoline, less IGF-1 output, IAA breaking.... As her numbers have improved recently I'm now starting to see behavioral/QOL improvements, small but they're happening:)
    For me I won't give up on it. When we stared Lev and then shortly after Cabergoline we have tremendous improvement in her numbers. I can see why Adrian and Chino threw in the towel because there was no marked response to it. I think the trial, as small as the pool was, is indicative of the med seems to work for some and not others with no indication as to why. For us the cost was worth the try. Had it been one of the costly treatments I never would've have tried it.
    I'm impressed with Jadi&Tiffany's response, to me its seems more likely its the Cabergolne for sure.

As far as GI issues I do notice Beenie is a little gasy o_O and her poo is normal to too soft (this after start of cabergoline). It fluctuates, some days its normal and other days its not but I've been giving her pumpkin and that helps. Other than that no other side effects that I'm aware of. I wish they could talk:rolleyes:

Are you considering and concerned about side effects?

JeffJ likes this.
  76. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Thanks for sharing. I go back and forth with wanting to try it. I finally found a good vet who is supportive of all I’ve done for Jimmy from his insulin needs to raw feeding to supplementing his food. I told her about cabergoline and she was receptive. Prior to seeing her no vet would even acknowledge he may be Acro so there was little chance of getting them to prescribe a trial drug. She was very interested to hear about the results some of you have been having. That gives me some relief. I guess my fear is yes, will Jimmy be that rare case of getting some side effect that ends his life too early because I was hoping for a reduced cost benefit? His activity level is quite good and besides the constipation flare ups has no other DX health issues. I have a gut feeling though there may be something up with his blood pressure. His ears are nearly warm all the time and when he gets above 300 his breathing is a bit labored. Below 300 he’s a happy camper. It’s a lot to weigh. Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

77. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Most advanced treatments for various issues probably have side effects. There are side effects for SRT in treating Acro. And Leo is on prednisolone and Chlorambucil for small cell lymphoma. I think the key is to determine how bad off the kitteh may be without treatment.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  78. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Good point. Thank you.

JeffJ likes this.
  79. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Did you find a local-ish compounding pharmacy? I am in Mass too.

80. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi How are you? Animal Pharm in Pembroke, Mass. Kathleen is great!!! My Vet still is not on board tho!!!

81. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Doing OK. Trying to get Jimmy’s constipation in check. He’s creeping back up to 26U...so I’m seriously considering trying cabgergoline.

Do you have any idea of price at Animal Pharm?

My vet is open to it...I need to send her the email I got from RVC about dosing. If I start it I’d like to start early November. She is really great...no ego and willing to learn more. She is part of the vet clinics (Charlestown, Revere, Lynn etc).

82. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi Kathleen could not give me price without a prescription and dose. I wish my Vet would get on board!:oops:

83. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Man. Bummer. Did vet give you a reason of why she is reluctant?

84. Pamela & Amethyst

She said that a human medication would not work. I do not have money to go to another vet so I am hoping she changes her mind:oops:

85. Beenie (GA)

:facepalm:Levemir wasn't made for cats....
    Hopefully she changes her mind.

86. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi How are you and Beenie? I know and she is doing well on it!!!!:cat:

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  87. Beenie (GA)

We're hanging in there:)

88. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

I was about to do a search and saw your post...I’ve emailed RVC but curious what is the dose you’re using for Cabergoline?

89. Beenie (GA)

Hi. This is what Chris from RVC said "10 microgram per kilo dose once daily". So since it's based on weight you'll be more than Beenie. She only weighs 10 lbs. Once I got the script I actually posted to make sure what I got was correct because I have no idea how to calculate it. It was correct.
    Wishing you the best of luck!

90. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Is anyone dosing every other day as done in the SA study? Or dosing everyday like UK clinical trial?

91. Marvin's Mom - Nat

I am doing every day. I am just not as worried of forgetting a day now.

92. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Thanks. Vet had noticed the frequency of dosing difference between the SA study and the UK trial. Wanted to get an idea of dosing frequency others here are following.

93. Tuxedo Mom

Just thought I would add some info I have come across in case any one is not aware of this. I was actually doing some research on other uses of cabergoline and found some human studies from 2010 that showed some promise using cabergoline with Cushing's PAD (pituitary based). It has been used with some success in dogs already and perhaps may be beneficial for kitties. As a petparent of a GA Cushing's kitty I would very much like to see more research done in this area.

However this is not what I wanted to share. An article I found said that it may react with :

"Cabergoline may interact with the following medications: • Hypotensive drugs • Metaclopramide • Phenothiazines, eg acepromazine" although it does not state what the reactions are. But since Metaclopramide is commonly used for nausea I thought this might be worth mentioning.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5ztXZ-ZbXAhXLx4MKHTCLAZg4ChAWCEUwBQ&url=https://bovavet.com.au/admin/include/render_document.php?table=shop_product_pdfs&document_id=12&usg=AOvVaw1f1MOuncc0T1935AmNmw0w

ETA Found this information...it is based on info fro people but I assume the same applies with kitties:

"
    metoclopramide hcl oral and cabergoline oral
    metoclopramide hcl oral decreases levels of cabergoline oral by reducing drug absorption from the stomach and intestine into the body when taken by mouth."

https://www.rxlist.com/drug-interac...l-and-metoclopramide-hcl-oral-interaction.htm

"
    How the interaction occurs:
    When these two medicines are taken together, metoclopramide may block the effects of cabergoline or pergolide."

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-...goline-pergolide-metoclopramide/intrtype-drug

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    JeffJ and Beenie (GA) like this.
  94. Beenie (GA)

Thanks for the info Mary Ann!! Never occurred to me to be on the look out for interactions with other meds. Good to know since my vet has no idea how it all works. Well I'm not even sure what is happening but I like it.:D

Interesting it was used in people and dogs to treat Cushings.

95. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

This is my quote from Diamondback. Is this right??? I thought people were paying less than $100.

Attached Files:

96. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Woah! I thought so too. However, dosing is based on weight so my Jimmy at 21 lbs is going to be more than say Beenie’s was at 60 or so. I talked to Diamond back last week and his would be $80 for a 30 day supply. So I encourage you to get on the phone and speak with them. Keep us posted.

97. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

This is very frustrating. I have my vet on board and I can't find it at an affordable price. I am able to pay around $100 per month but am being quoted $288 at Diamondback and $299 at Crossriver Pharmacy. They had told me that there has recently been a drastic increase in price. I am going to have my vet submit the script to Wedgewood and see if we can work anything out. They wouldn't give me pricing over the phone.

98. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

I can't believe I did this but I miscalculated his dose. So I'm hoping it will be significantly less expensive.
    At 10mcg/kg he would get 0.084 mg daily or 84.5 mcg daily.
    A misplaced decimal point is a large error and I'm a nurse!
    The vet is supposed to arrange the prescription tomorrow.

99. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Does that mean the final cost will be around $30/month?

100. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Does anyone know if the RVC clinical trials for cabergoline have been posted?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017