Can't control bladder and vomiting!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becca84, Feb 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca84

Becca84 Member

https://m.facebook.com/groups/felinediabetes/permalink/10158804641810202/
    So my cat Candi had an episode thursday and the link above is what she was doing/ her symptoms and what they did for her at the vet. They also said her thyroid level was at a 6 and its suppose to be between 1 and 4. She's having nausea again and can't control her bladder. I suppose she's must be having bladder spasms? I've checked for keytones and they aren't present. Will I need to take her to the ER vet?

heres the original facebook post:
    Edit: So she has a UTI..they gave her subq fluids and did blood work. They will get that back tomorrow. They gave her a cerenia and covenia shot. But her back is leaking, they said that was from the subq fluids and should be okay But if I wanted to I could bring her back up there. Should I? They close at 5 and its 415 now.

Something is wrong with my girl Candi❣ I came home from work for lunch and she had vomited 3 times, refused food, seemed to be running a fever, peeing on herself where ever she sat, she would stand up and freeze as if she was disoriented. This morning I checked her bg and it was 108. I decided to check it after the red flags and it had shot up to 310. At the vet now. Prayers needed❣

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Won't give you advice but Bump it up.

Becca84 likes this.
  3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Have you checked blood sugar?

Do you think she's kept anything down? The combo of possibly no food plus a dose of insulin is my concern.

Becca84 likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

@Becca84 - just saw your edits and the added info complicates things. Test her blood sugar ASAP please. it'll be easier to follow if you add a reply vs editing the original post.

@Bandit's Mom I know you're not a Vetsulin user but this isn't necessarily Vetsulin issue. I don't see many others around, thoughts?

Becca84 likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It looks like her thyroid medication needs tweaking. Did the ER do anything about that? Was a culture done for the uti? Antibiotics? Just answering quickly and now I will read your condos. Be back if I have anything to add or else I’ll await your reply.

Becca84 likes this.
  6. Becca84

Becca84 Member

taking her to the er vet...thank you guys! Sorry I just realized she passed a blood clot out of her peepee...

FrostD likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

Prayers. :bighug:

Becca84 likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Definitely the right call to take Candi to the ER vet. Prayers on their way for you two, Becca...

(((Candi)))

:bighug:

Mogs

Becca84 likes this.
  9. Becca84

Becca84 Member

They just took her back.

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Prayers for your little girl :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Critter Mom

Thinking of the two of you. Prayers continue.

(((Candi and Becca)))

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Mogs

12. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

My cat Ravan has diabetes for 3 years .He's 18 yrs & 7 months old. I've learned a lot since being on the Lantus / Levemir forum.

Ravan recently had the same symptoms as Candi. Nauseous, peeing everywhere & blood in his urine. Antibiotics have side effects. ( Common side effects include gastrointestinal effects such as lack of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. )

I gave him D-Mannose ,1/2 teaspoon of the powder in a small bit of water, in a feeding syringe. 3 X a day. On the third day the peeing stopped & he was feeling much better. I continue to give it to him every morning to prevent any further UTI's.
    https://www.nasc.cc/pet-university/urinary-tract-infections-in-pets/

Infection in the upper urinary tract generally affects the kidneys (pyelonephritis), which can cause fever, chills, nausea, & vomiting

D-Mannose is a non-metabolizable sugar that does not affect blood sugar or pH so it is safe for diabetics. D-Mannose becomes part of the urine where it can collect bad bacteria out of the bladder. The bacteria binds to the D-Mannose instead of the lining of the urinary tract and is safely eliminated. It works particularly well on e coli, which is the most common bacteria to cause UTIs. This is what I use
    https://www.amazon.com/Pure-D-Mannose-Powder-Supplement-

Most Vets have limited training in Diabetes in cats. Nearly all cats here get Lantus or Levemir insulin. ( Levemir is not acid based & doesn't sting That's what I use for my Ravan)
    We use human meters & strips. Relion meter & strips from Walmart 100 strips for $17.

The more you read & learn about diabetes in cats & the side effects of some drugs ,the more you'll be able to help Candi.

Best of luck to you. :):bighug:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Becca84 likes this.
  13. Becca84

Becca84 Member

thank you so much for that info! i will look in to that!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  14. Becca84

Becca84 Member

An update on Candi:

I took her to the ER vet and after they examined her and ran tests they determined the injectable antibiotic convenia given thursday was not strong enough and usually doesnt help with UTI anyway. But to back my vet on this candi wasn't eating and was dehydrated so he tried that along with a cerenia shot and fluids, but that is the only thing I will give him. The vet thursday hounded me about how it was impossible to give 0.125u of vetsulin and proceeded to bring a syringe out to my car so I can show him. He said that it was such a small amount that it would barely do anything. I stood my ground and said she had been running in the low 100's for about a month with a couple of high ones here and there. He said he would feel comfortable in giving her 0.5u of vetsulin bid even if she was at 100. He then stated 90's he would be worried but she should be perfectly fine with the 0.5u. I told him I was giving that but it seemed she was bouncing from that dose and in the am she would be in the 200's. So I cut the dose down to 0.25u and if she was 115 or below I would even go so far as to eyeball the 0.125u. He didn't like that and was talking about vetsulin as if it was lantus. It will even itself out, keep giving 0.5u for a couple of weeks then do a curve. I was like okay. (mind you I do not like this vet but this is the only one I could get on short notice) I told him I was really trying to shoot for remission even if there was a possibility I wanted to try to get there. Then he shot me the look, pulling down his glasses as to say theres no way. I shrugged him off and said okay. So today we had to take candi to an ER vet. They did a uranalysis and determined she needed a stronger antibiotic. But the vet said weirdly enough if the cat has diabetes even if its well controlled you will see glucose in her urine. NO GLUCOSE, NO KETONES! (So after all that hounding about the insulin, I can't WAIT to hear from him tomorrow. And I actually would like him to call me!!!) So she said whatever I am doing to keep doing it because it looks fantastic. So they gave her fluid and cerenia at the vet today and sent me home with an oral antibiotic amox/clauva- im sure candi's gonna love that! They also sent me home with a probiotic. So I'm hoping I can really minimize the nausea and digestive upset here. Sorry for the long story. Any advice will be appreciated!

15. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Thanks! Sorry thing have been hectic today! We upped her thyroid methimazole to 1 tab bid to get that under control. Sorry about the delay.

16. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Thank you Mogs! I was just able finally to eat today. I hadnt had anything today LOL!

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Critter Mom

Thanks for the update, Becca. Great that the vet was able to help today. (I'm going to refrain from comment about the other one. ;) )

By way of a heads-up, the co-amoxiclav antibiotic is notorious for causing GI upsets. Did the vet give you Cerenia for home use? If not, I recommend keeping a close eye on Candi for signs of nausea and if necessary ask the vets to prescribe enough anti-nausea meds to support her for the full duration of the course of antibiotics.

Another little bit of info about D-Mannose: it's only considered to be effective for E. coli. As per usual, if you're looking to add a supplement check with your vet first. Word of warning: if you give too much too soon (e.g. a higher acute dose) it might cause loose stool. I give it to my civvie, Lúnasa (she has stage III kidney insufficiency).

You hum it, I'll play it, Becca! Terror isn't good for the appetite. ;)

Good that you were able to get some food down. You need to look after you so that you can look after your girl. I hope that she feels better very soon.

(((Candi and Becca)))

:bighug:

Mogs

Becca84 likes this.
  18. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Thanks! They did give her a shot of cerenia. They only had big doses of cerenia so they couldn't give me any to take home. She is already acting like her tummy is upset. I'm trying to keep an eye on her. I'll check out the D-mannose. I will call the vet tomorrow for some cerenia doses that I can take home.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

If they can't give you Cerenia I'd suggest asking for ondansetron as an alternative. Even if they don't carry it themselves you can get it at a human pharmacy with a written veterinary Rx.

Mogs

Becca84 likes this.
  20. Becca84

Becca84 Member

The ER vet didnt have any, they only have injections so they can dose it correctly but I'm going to ask my regular vet tomorrow if they have either one for home use.

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. tiffmaxee

You can cut break the larger Cerenia pills. I used to do that and put in empty gel capsules.

Becca84 likes this.
  22. Becca84

Becca84 Member

They said they were for large dogs. but I will try the normal vet tomorrow.
    Did i also mention she was 14.48 lbs back in november and now shes 12.78? The original vet that hounded me about the insulin said her weight loss was due to her thyroid. Now that might be plausable but I have switched her food around november. How can he tell that it wasn't just from the switch? Her thyroid level was 6. The normal threshold was between 1 and 4. And she was on methimazole 5mg 1/2 tab bid. We adjusted her dose to 5mg bid thursday night and will get another read on her level in a couple of weeks. That vet from thursday also made sure I knew not to stop her thyroid medication. As if he was thinking I was adjusting her doseage like I did with the insulin. And I told him I give her that regardless of anything and before food or anything since may of 2020. :banghead: He really upset me about that.

23. tiffmaxee

The cerenia shot will work for 24 hours.

I never had a hyper-t cat but I know for some the pills upset the stomach so people get the eat gel. I’d have be upset too!

24. Becca84

Becca84 Member

They said at first while on the med she might have stomach upset but it should go away a month after...shes never had and upset tummy on the methimazole and i've made sure she ate directly after the pill (i also put the crushed pill in gerber baby food turkey)

tiffmaxee and Critter Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.