CC Update. Good and Bad News

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JanetNJ, Jun 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you recall last Saturday my old girl, CC, had a mass surgically removed from her leg. She also had bloodwork done. Got some good news and some bad news.
    As far as the mass removal goes... it's healing up really good... she had the stitches taken out tonight. Pathology showed it WAS cancerous... actually a rare form: a sebaceous carcinoma. The good news about that is it is usually localized and it looks like they got it all. :)
    The bloodwork turned up a few disappointments. The kidney values slipped a bit. Creatinine is 2. 6, BUN 45. :( So not AWFUL, but disappointing because it was down from 2.6 in December to 1.9 in January. I'll put extra water down in different rooms to make sure she stays hydrated.
    More disappointing news is her T4, which was at 3.3 in January is up to 6.4 now. I'm going to increase her Methamizole a bit and she will be retested in about 6 weeks. Total bummer.
    ON THE GOOD NEWS... since having the thing on her leg removed, her insuilin needs have been decreasing FAST! Thank God i'm working from home because she's had several scares over the last week. She's a high dose kitty with Acro... her dose a week and a half ago was 8-8 .5... as of today she's down to 5! Amazing. So I hope that trend continues.

2. JanetNJ

@Marje and Gracie I added my newest labs to my labs tab if you have time to take a look and see if there's anything I missed that I should talk to me vet about.

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m not versed in lab work so a lot of those numbers don’t add up to me, but wanted to say yay for less insulin and yay for getting all the cancer out!!! I’m hoping the good news outweigh the bad o_O

Sending lots of healing thoughts to CC :bighug:

jt and trouble (GA) and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m glad you got some good news amongst the bad:bighug:

5. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Janet glad to hear some good news prayers for CC to get better

6. JanetNJ

The mass scared me. I was waiting for them to say amputation.... Thank goodness it doesn't look like there will be any more issue with it. She just said feel the area every so often and bring her in right away if there's another lump.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm glad that they go it it all removed Janet.
    Tyler's brother Perry had kidney disease so I know how you feel
    He's in stage 2 also, His creatinine is 2.7
    Was 2.6 a year ago
    Every 6 months he has blood work and I hold my breath until I get the results
    Glad to see her BG has improved.
    Only wishing the best for CC:bighug::bighug:

8. JanetNJ

Wow he stayed really steady over the year!

9. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

A thought: the lab work could be skewed by the tumour. Let's see what Marje has to say.
    So glad the vet thinks the margins are good. CC is keeping you on your toes, isn't she? I hope you find a dose that she'll settle for soon.

10. JanetNJ

I'll
    be curious how the next blood tests compare too. We have a few days vacation in July where she will have to be boarded, so they will retest her then to see if the t4 comes down and check the kidneys. Six weeks is long enough that I think if the tumor was effecting numbers it might clear. Actually 7 weeks because they were already taken a week ago.

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

When I see a kitty with CKD who has a jump in creatinine and red blood cells in urine, I wonder if it could be a kidney infection. You might want to discuss that with your vet especially since her BUN is basically the same. However, I would have expected to see some elevation in serum white blood cells.

You have to scroll through this discussion to read the different sections on pyelonephritis. Keep in mind, I’m no vet but I would just ask the question. The vet might have an excellent answer.

I’m sorry about the dx but glad they got all the cancer. Sending vines!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

She has had the same thing with blood in her urine in the past in Nov, but it looks like much more this time. Perhaps there was a UTI. Last November they found no evidence of a UTI and chalked it up to just poor kidneys. They gave her an antibiotic shot before surgery so I hope of there was a UTI that's helping it... Although I know the shot isn't as effective at helping that as oral antibiotics. She always pees huge amounts but I never saw her straining or going more frequently. It's something I can discuss with the vet though. Tyvm.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  13. JanetNJ

I also just saw that a tumor can show up On blood work as effecting liver or kidney function. So maybe this worsened her kidney numbers? I don't know. All I can do is get her to drink, which thankfully she's doing despite less appetite.

Attached Files:

14. JanetNJ

She's eating a little better today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.