? Civie Pepe part of the family now... Starting dose advice please !!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA), Jul 9, 2021.

1. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning,

It's been a long time since I posted! I had Covid (still very tired), Ti-Mousse is keeping me busy (acro), I'm taking care of my 97 y/o uncle and now civie Pepe decided I had too much spare time, so he's diabetes also!

Pepe was diagnosed with melanome in February. Ophtalmo needed a complete BW bf removing the eye. Results came back with CKD stage 3. Vet suggested waiting to stabilise kidneys. Another BW in May: CKD high end stage 2; I was happy but noticed his sugar was a little higher (187) than February (144).

He then started to stay near the kitchen sink, always wanted to drink (of course not using the Fountain I bought for him…) and having a ravenous appetite (not usual for CKD)! His left eye started leaking so went back to vet and he peed so much during the exam that I had another BW done! It confirmed what I expected but never that high (448).

Testing and shooting won't be easy with him. When he was a small kitten he was continuously beaten by previous owner, so he can't stand hands close to him, he grabs you and bites… quite normal !!

He's 15 y/o, 10 lbs (normal), eating same food as Ti-Mousse (LC canned food, no dry). Insulin: Levemir.
    This morning he's at 322 (human meter FreeStyle Lite); tested ketones: negative!
    I'm setting up his SS.

Vet will tell me about dosing but I definitely have more confidence in dosing advice I will get here. By experience with Ti-Mousse, I know I can't go wrong with the Forum !!

@Wendy&Neko Can you please help me with the starting dose for my little tux ?

Mel and Cargo likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Gee Lyane, don't you have enough to deal with? Pepe has had a rough life. But with you he will know he is loved. His teeth are ok? No infection anywhere? Could it be the eye that set off the diabetes?

You will get him feeling good in no time. Uhmmmm don't to get a photo of this little one.

3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Definitely you could be right! I'm giving him erythromycin ophthalmic ointment in both eyes for 7 days. Hope it helps!
    On top, x rays showed constipation. I'll try pumpkin but doubt he will eat it; vet is not OK with Miralax or Lactulose because he's dehydrated. I'm giving subQs twice a day.

Here's my little Pepe!
    upload_2021-7-9_14-0-25.jpeg

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

He is a cutie.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What an adorable little guy! Of course, I'm a little partial to tuxies. :kiss:

So sorry you have this on your plate now Lyane, but he couldn't have a better caregiver. If you are following TR with him, starting dose is 0.25 units per kg. So I'd start with 1.0 units. Good luck and hope it's a short stop for him.

6. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

I know how you feel about tuxies !!! We LOVE them!
    Thank you so much for the dosing; I'll start him on that !!

7. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Welcome back Cute little guy:cat::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Thanks Pamela! Hope all is OK for Amethyst!

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

He's so adorable. I love tuxies too. It does sound like the eye meds could be the cause of the high BGs. Does the vet think surgery for the eye should be done soon? Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: