Coco 12/28 AMPS 365, a good curve so far

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by CocoDB, Dec 28, 2022.

1. CocoDB

CocoDB New Member

Last thread: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/coco-12-19-no-amps-90-2-quick-nadir.272024/

We are back doing our third ever curve. I am trying to be more confident when I come over. We are still dealing with a LOT of wriggling, but my technique is a lot better this time. Many thanks for the 45 degree angle tip. Pre-shot was a bit of a struggle, as was +4 where I'm ashamed to say I lost my cool. But the other ones, she stayed on the chair where she was napping. Hoping it stays this way and I can do a full 12 hour curve.

12/28/22
    AMPS: 365
    Dose: 1.75 (or as close to as possible)
    +2: 212
    +4: 103
    +6: 142

This looks a lot better, the nadir was +2 last time and then she shot up.

Thanks again for all the support last time, it meant so much. I felt like I was failing Coco and that it would never get better.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Coco's curve today looks good! I'm glad to hear that you are getting better at the testing. That 45 degree angle thing was my way to not pierce Darcy's ears... sometimes hard to do though if your cat is wriggling!

3. Suzanne & Darcy

My only other observation on Coco's spreadsheet is that there is no data for the evening cycles. You are shooting a dose at night, right? Try to get at least a +2 or a "before bed" test as many cats do tend to drop lower at night. I know it's still early days with all this testing stuff! :) And you are doing amazingly well. I'm really proud of you! I just want to make sure Coco is safe. Adorable Coco face!

4. CocoDB

CocoDB New Member

Thank you, yes I will try a +2 tonight. It's just been a bit of a tough gig with Madame Coco, this ear prick malarkey.
    I think I perhaps spoke a bit soon as her blood glucose has popped up to 383 o_O. Luckily the actual test was fine and she played ball as she has finally twigged that she gets a treat after. The treat (singular) I am giving her is freeze-dried chicken, so I'm hoping that wouldn't have caused anything and she's been lying on her chair for the past four hours, so hasn't had anything else...

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. CocoDB

CocoDB New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just reading up on curves and nadirs to see what this bounce could mean and Coco has joined me :cat:

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Freeze dried chicken treat should not affect BG

7. CocoDB

CocoDB New Member

Ok so the curve started off really well, but have ended the day with some very high readings. Coco hasn't seemed stressed at all and for the last couple of readings actually jumped up to have them done, although she still does not enjoy the meter being held to her ear and there is a bit of struggling at this time.
    She has had her food and next shot now (I kept the dose the same) and will do a +2 evening reading as well.
    I'll speak to vet next week, maybe it's time to replace the insulin? It's been almost 3 months...

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Does your meter make a loud noise- beep? And you aren’t using a lancing device are you?

9. Suzanne & Darcy

It’s possible she’s starting a bounce from those blue numbers. We will know more if you can get a test tonight and, of course, tomorrow morning. A couple of nice blues today :cool:

10. CocoDB

CocoDB New Member

It does make a beep but I put the strip in before I prick her ear, and then it does beep when the result is ready, so both beeps shouldn't be when the meter is near her ear. And no, just using a lancet.

Are there any links somewhere about what a bounce means? I have seen it on other threads, but not entirely sure what it means.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

I’ve copied this from the sticky note on the LLB forum. The explanation of bouncing is:
    • Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Let me know if you have any questions. I need to go to sleep now, but I will be around tomorrow.