Current Glucose Meter Reccomendarions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by squeecat, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squeecat

squeecat New Member

My cat was diagnosed two days ago, she’s only 7, and I thought she had a UTI when I brought her in so this situation has really feels like a lot.

I’ve been sifting through posts trying to figure out a meter but they all seem to be older recommendations and I’m having trouble find matching models. Looking for something that is well-priced for the machine & strips that I can get from Walgreens, Target, or Amazon. Preferably one that is user friendly as well.

So far the injections seem to be going okay and I think she’s feeling a little better.

Attached Files:

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome
    Most of us use the human meter from Walmart The Relion Prime 9 dollars or the Relion Premier
    Test strips are 17.88 for 100 strips
    Buy 26 or28 gauge lancets
    Most of us test freehand just using the lancets
    Some buy the lancing device
    I find you have more control just using the lancet and can see where you are poking.
    Get some cotton rounds to put behind the ear just in case you poke yourself
    Then just press gently on the ear to stop the bleeding about 10 seconds
    If his ears ever look sore you can put a thin layer of Neosporin Ointment with Pain Relief, make sure it's NOT the Cream
    Have honey or Karo on hand in case he ever drops to low

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to you both.

I'm glad your little one is starting to feel a bit better. Things are indeed quite overwhelming in the beginning but they do get better as you learn more and get into a routine that works for both of you. I'm glad you've found FDMB, and we'll do all we can to help.

Can you let us know which country you're in so that we can recommend a meter? (I'm in the UK so I'm not sure where those store chains are located.)

Mogs

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If she won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Your kitty is so cute

squeecat likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

• when you get a chance ,It would be helpful if you can set up your signature so we don't have to ask you the same questions over again. Members will look at this first .
    • It appears after each post in gray, look at mine,

• On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people
    You can also add where you live in your profile, not your signature

This is at the bottom of every ones post in grey

squeecat likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    If you would like to set up a spreadsheet to enter his numbers on, here are the directions. In case you need any help with dosing , the members need to look at this in order to give advice.

Using this tool will help to see how the insulin you are using is working and how low your cats BG is dropping and when .

I will post the link for you that explains how it works

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

If you need help setting it up just ask, we have someone here that will help you

squeecat likes this.
  9. squeecat

squeecat New Member

I picked this one up yesterday, thank you. I’ve tried twice now, last night, and this morning before mealtime and failed to get enough blood every time. Hopefully it gets easier once she grows more capillaries.

I’m going to work on getting everything entered in and set up within the next couple days when I have some time off.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

It will get easier, also if you do get a little blood, try and milk it, press up towards the blood you good gently a couple of times. Try and get those ears as warm as possible.

You will get there, glad you picked everything up.
    If you are just using the lancet only, look at it , you will see that one side will point
    upward , prick the ear with it facing up.
    Good luck :cat:

11. squeecat

squeecat New Member

I’ve been successful 3x now! Making a rice sock and having the lancet in the right direction helped immensely. I appreciate the advice.

JanetNJ and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Alrightb good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.