Diabetes and Lethargy

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

I have been so worried about Phoenix today. He usually spends most of the day outside but he has just been laying under the Christmas tree all day. The temperature outside is 68 degrees so it is not the weather.

I was so happy yesterday. I took him for a long walk on his leash for the first time in months. He walked around a half acre of land 4 times before he was ready to go home. The rest of the day he spent mostly inside.

The past few months, I have noticed that he is coming inside earlier before it gets dark. He is eating great but I am kind of worried about him. Does the diabetes cause lethargy? His numbers have been higher than normal lately. Could this be causing it? He does go outside when I vacuum, he hates the vacuum cleaner. But he has been coming right back inside after I am finished instead of staying outdoors.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Being less active is a notable symptom in unregulated diabetes.

Lethargy can also be a sign that something other than the diabetes is affecting Phoenix.
    Have you been testing for ketones? Given that he is having some higher cycles and you have noted that there is possibly some lethargy, I would get some ketostix and check his urine for ketones, ASAP, you need to rule out DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) which can quickly become an emergency situation.
    Is Phoenix eating well? Is he vomiting?

3. Scdal

Scdal Member

I check for ketones regularly. It has always been negative. He eats like a champ and is not vomiting. It just really confuses me. Phoenix was outside with me this afternoon while I was doing yard work. He just laid in the yard sleeping. When we come back in the house, he is walking around and playing with his toys. I think he might like to worry his moma. Phoenix is due for a check up next month. I was wondering if he might need a B-12 shot. I know a lot of people on this website give the injections . Are they just under the skin or do you have to get a vein?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There are very few medications that need to be given IV and it's not something that would ever be done at home.

It can go sub-q just like insulin.

5. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

I can absolutely confirm that my boy used to be an active boy going outside all the time but now he's become lethargic. He doesn't even play anymore. I can see you're on a high dose of insulin, my boy is too and he's still not regulated. Wishing you and Phoenix all the best :bighug:

6. Scdal

Scdal Member

Yes, our cats are alike. I read your posts frequently because your problems are very similar to mine. Let's hope both our babies decide to have lower numbers soon.

7. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you for responding. The next time I talk to my vet, I think I will ask him about B12 injections.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  8. Scdal

Scdal Member

Mo may start playing again. Phoenix stopped playing for about 6 months but started playing again. He plays more now than he has in years even when his BG is high.

It stresses me out when he gets lethargic. I worry ! Then he starts playing again and I breathe a sigh of relief. Then, a few days later, he gets lethargic and I start worrying again. My moods correspond to how Phoenix is feeling.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Given Phoenix's dose, have you thought about having him tested for a high dose condition (i.e., acromegaly or insulin resistance)? We generally suggest having your vet send a blood sample to the vet lab at Michigan State University (it's the only place that runs these tests).

Your signature notes that Phoenix has a history of pancreatitis. Could the change in behavior be related to a slight pancreatitis flare?