Different dose for day and night?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bubbs, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Bubbs

Bubbs New Member

So my gf told me the vet told her to administer 7 units in the morning and 6 at night. Sounds weird to me since we always have been dosing the same amount each time. Did she mishear the vet maybe?

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Typically ProZinc is dosed the same 12 hours apart. Cats do often go lower at night which is maybe why the vet would have said that...doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing to do though. There are some instances where it is needed, but it is rare.

Are you home testing? 6U+ is a pretty high dose, how did you go about increasing/deciding to increase his dose? Does he have any other health issues?

3. Bubbs

Bubbs New Member

Thanks for the response. He gets tested at the vet every 1-2 months and we have basically been increasing 1 unit each time we go-We do slowly build up to the unit each time. His numbered lowered this time so it is getting better, but still too high. No real health issues but he is pretty obese lol he's about 20 lbs. I did get the Alpha Track 2 but he's such.a scaredy cat the first try didn't go very well...

FrostD likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We do strongly recommend home testing, especially at that high of a dose. He is a big cat, but has he been tested for anything like acromegaly or IAA? Those both cause insulin resistance.

@Diane Tyler's Mom when you get a chance can you share all your tips and tricks?

5. Bubbs

Bubbs New Member

Unless that is standard then I doubt he was tested for those. The vet does test his blood levels for other things though- I'll have to verify. Will have to get going on the home testing.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugarsugar

Here is a video that one of our members did

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Try putting the cat in the same spot every time you test, start rubbing his ears , even if the test is not successful give the cat a treat every time so he associates that after the test he/she will get a treat. Any freeze dried treat is ok ,you can Google freeze dried treats.
    any freeze dried treats are ok such as
    PureBites Freeze-Dried Cat Treats with Chicken Breast 2.3 oz ()https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071P

Also chewys has freeze dried treats also
    freeze dried minnows, made by Vital Essentials. I also buy the ones made for dogs. They're the same as the freeze dried minnows for cats. just cheaper. They also carry other freeze dried treats. I ordered mine through Amazon.

I think the vital essentials are more of a crunchy texture than the purebites

If you cat likes any of these you can buy the bigger bags for dogs they are the same,you will get more for your money just break then up into smaller pieces

You can Google freeze dried treats and see what other ones there are and different flavors
    Just make sure that is the only ingredient in them meaning turkey, chicken, minnows etc

Here is another one , I see you can get these in different flavors also just look
    You may have to break any freeze dried treats in half if they are too big
    https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Essent...ocphy=9003521&hvtargid=pla-630511512365&psc=1

Flavor Name: Duck Liver
    Ahi Tuna
    • Chicken
    • Chicken Giblets
    • Chicken Hearts
    • Duck Liver
    • Minnows
    • Rabbit