? Djoko - 04/04 - amps 99 - test on frozen blood sample - accuracy

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marj & Djoko, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Hello,

It has been a while!
    On March 25, Djoko blood was drawn to perform a ionized calcium and PTH test. In addition to drawing blood from his mast cell tumor by mistake (Djoko has been in pain for a week and is finally starting to be better), they lost the sample. I have been told that blood last for 48 hrs.

Today, the vet clinic called me to say that had found the blood in the freezer so that Djoko's blood could be re-sent to the lab without any problem. I am a bit skeptical because they had offered to come to my place to retake the blood given that they dropped the ball and to accommodate me and Djoko.

They are pushing me to accept that the old sample is still valid and even mentioned that I needed to sedate Djoko as he is apparently difficult to work woth (this has never been brought to my attention in the last 2 years we have been dealing with this clinic).

I do not trust them as I understand it is more convenient for them to use the old sample but I want to make sure that the results are accurate because they will determine how to address high calcium issues.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any advice?

THank you and hope everyone and their cats are doing well.

Marj and Djoko.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't know about those specific tests, but I know for the acromegaly and IAA tests the samples are sent frozen, then run 1-2 weeks later depending on when they receive it.

I did a quick search on their site for the PTH and ionized calcium, and it says ship refrigerated or frozen overnight, and they'll run it within 1-4 days.

I suppose if it were me I'd ask for a redraw, no cost, since it was their mistake...just in case

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    tiffmaxee likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I don’t know either but agree with Melissa.

4. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Ya thank to you both. I do not know what to say. The vet tech in charges said that it is fine and that Djoko's vet trusts the sample but I don't trust them anymore!
    I will keep thinking about it.

Thanks again,
    Marjorie