Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Goose, Oct 27, 2020.
Do Daa's PZ Dosing Thread8
Above link is to the previous threads discussions.
Yes, if Do Daa were my cat, I'd increase to 3U.
No progress yet @ 3u.
I was just looking at thread 8, when an alert popped up.
No, no progress yet on the 3U dose.
Perhaps, fewer temps (temptations)?
He only had 3 temps a little after 6pm (+9) @245, I was kind of hoping it would just help him into a better Pre-shot # by pmps.
Looks like 3 was too many. It's so hard to predict, what the temps will do for his BG levels.
How about trying a bit of his regular low carb wet food next time, instead of the temptations?
It is difficult to predict how they will work.
The problem with the wet food it that he has his limits of what he will eat too often during the day.
I will admit that the temps are far easier to give him than someone sitting down (every time he has wet food) and trying to get him to eat wet food. Depending on his numbers throughout the day, he is fed wet food first with only some CP if he won't eat enough wet. He's picky and will plan refuse to eat and jump off the table....
Have you tried crumbling some of the temptations and sprinkling the powder on top of the wet food?
We have not tried that yet..
@amps, gave Daa a FAT 3u because of a Bubble in the needle. A Massive drop happened and Black was the outcome at the end of the day....
No better today. "Hi" 600+ @ amps 10/31/20. Mostly Red all day, I hope this breaks soon.
Noticed for the last couple of days he's been drinking water and peeing more.
Then Do Daa may need an increase sooner, rather than later.
But I think you should give it another cycle, since he's still bouncing from the lows on 10/30.
6 of one, half a dozen of another as the saying goes.
Well we had some Blues today, so that's better. We'll hold 3u for awhile longer to see if it all clears better.
2 pees in 15 minutes for Daa is telling me to up the dose of insulin.... so is the far to many Blacks lately. We'll up the dose to 3.25u starting Wednesday am.
Yes, agree with your plan to increase the dose.
Not increasing the dose for an extra day? Why not do the dose increase on Tuesday AM?
Voting in the morning and no one being here to monitor him is my main concern. Depending on his AM number, I may just up the dose anyway.
We upped his dose to 3.25u this AM and everything after was ok.
He's been eating much more wet food than he normally has lately. Also, not any great numbers yet @ 3.25u
When you say "wet food" do you mean the pate style food, or do you mean the food with gravy?
Or do you mean that his appetite has been very high, and he is eating a lot more?
Maintaining his weight ok?
Water consumption up a lot too? Or only the food intake?
Basically, how are the 5 P's (peeing, pooping, playing, preening, purring)?
The wet food I mentioned is the FF pate, no gravy except the little that's in the can. His appetite seems to have increased recently with the pate food. It may in fact be nothing, it's just something that we've noticed.
He's still his same large self, 18lbs or so, so no weight loss. Since we upped the insulin, we haven't noticed him drinking like he was, seems to be just the food. The 5 P's seem to be fine: peeing seems more normal, as well as pooping. He's 12+ so playing is relative for him. Preening is fine and it's hard to get him to pur much, if he does it's really low.
That all sounds good. Now, we just need for Do Daa to get some lower BG numbers.
I have been giving Do Daa to little insulin, I was reading the 1/2 marks on the needle wrong the past 4 days or so. He was getting just over 3 and not 3.25u. So hopefully he'll start to responded better soon now that is much closer to a 3.25u guess on the needle.
It's very hard to see those marks on the insulin barrel sometimes.
Keeping fingers crossed here too, that Do Daa responds better to the 3.25U dose.
Sometimes those marks are barely there...
@amps +8 he was 249, then at +9 he went up to 365, a 116 point increase. I am going to assume that bouncing works both ways... and that contributed to the 600 at pmps.
That's one way to think about it.
When the BG's drop really fast, they do tend to rise back up really fast too, as the cat's body drops compensatory hormones into the bloodstream.
A 45-50% increase within 1 hour certainly would contribute to a high BG at the next pre-shot test.
"The faster the fall, the faster the rise."
I don't know why that 116 point rise happened. He had some food at +8, but didn't gorge himself to produce a 365 1 hour later. I'm sure the insulin was wearing off but still..
We Increased his insulin to 3.5u starting 11/10 amps. We're just not seeing great numbers at 3u....
He did a little better today on 3.5u, finally some Blues... then a Black at pmps.
Do Daa is just one of those cats that overreact to the low blues.
It seems like he has done that quite a bit. Yet again a Black 566 @ pmps after a Blue afternoon.
Nice string of Blues this afternoon for Daa, but a bump up to 453 @pmps... but not Black!
Looks to me like Do Daa may be due for a slight dose increase.
He's not spending much time down in the lower blues or in the greens. He is also getting too many pinks during the mid-cycle.
I was thinking just that two days ago. Been a little hectic around here and didn't want to increase yet. We'll shoot for an increase tomorrow to 3.75u, hopefully.
Upped his insulin to 3.75u this morning, let's see what this does for him.
I'm a bit hesitant to suggest a dose increase, because I think Do Daa got that high pink BG at PMPS because he is bouncing a bit from those low blues in the AM cycle today, 11/27/20.
Any food after +6 today, to spike his BG's up to those pinks?
But you really do want to see more greens in the SS, not just those blues.
So, how would you feel about increasing the dose back to 4U for the AM dose on 11/28/20?
How was your Thanksgiving?
He had food after +6. When he gets into the lower blues like that at test time, we usually give him food.
We don't have any issues increasing him to 4u, but I'd like to do it after we use the rest of this current (old) insulin bottle. He has maybe a couple of days left, and we want to start a new increase with a new bottle. We feel that this bottle has almost lost it's potency. I just hope he stops going up in insulin...
If you are switching to a new vial in a couple of days, then you may want to hold off on the dose increase for a couple of cycles AFTER starting the new vial.
That way, you may be able to see if the old vial has lost it's potency, and that is the reason for the higher BG numbers.
My Thanksgiving was fine. Got to eat what I liked, since I'm the cook, and clean-up crew all in one. I did share some chicken with my cat Dancer, and she is always happy to eat it!
That sounds like a better idea! So it will probably be mid-week next week or so before we would increase to 4u on the new bottle.... (That's if we need to, if 3.75u of new insulin produces greens or a reduction point, we'll keep him at 3.75u or hopefully reduce as the numbers may indicate at that time.) Does that sound right?
Glad to hear it! I'm sure Dancer loved the chicken, Do Daa and the others had some fresh turkey and there is plenty of the 24lb. bird left over.
Also, so glad that there isn't any snow or really cold weather in the Northeast yet! It can keep up with 45-50 degrees straight through 'till spring!
Yes, that sounds right.
Turkey makes great post testing snacks. Freeze some in little bits for Do Daa and the others, to use later. I think I'd have to remove a couple of racks from my oven, to fit a huge turkey like that 24 pound one!
I'm in complete agreement with you on that idea!
All but one rack is removed from the oven and that last rack is all the way on the bottom! This one was a little smaller than we were getting in years past. The largest bird ever was 34lbs. and we haven't seen one that large in a long time.
I think we are going to up his does tomorrow AM to 4u. New bottle, same dose, doesn't seem to be the key.
Well the opposite of this happened: " I think we are going to up his does tomorrow AM to 4u. New bottle, same dose, doesn't seem to be the key."
We Reduced him to 3.5u @amps.
Took Do Daa several cycles (5) on the new bottle of insulin, but he did go down.
Reduction was the way to go with his dose. He surprised you, and took a dive down to the greens at mid-cycle.
Surprised me too!
He surprised me!
It's nice to see some Greens on the table finally, just not to keen on them showing themselves after pmps +4, (1am).
It was nice tho to see Blues and a Green again today.
Had to Reduce to 3.25u @ todays AMPS first because of the 58, then because of the 48.
He had an AMPS in the Blues which hasn't happened in a long time... and had a great string of Blues and Greens over a looong period today.
Do Daa certainly doesn't make things easy for you, but you are right on top of things Goose.
His appetite is good?
VERY nice string of blues and greens both with the PMPS last night 12/6/20 and this morning 12/7/20.
He's not making it very easy for us. His appetite is good, (usual for him), mostly FF wet food with snacks of the CP dry food and only 1/3 cup dry overnights that he grazes on at his pleasure.
Thanks Goose. Wanted to confirm, because sometimes when a cat's appetite is diminished or "Off" from normal, the BG levels can trend lower than expected.
New Thread Created.