Does Vetsulin fit in U-100 Needles?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Kcl0942, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Kcl0942

Kcl0942 New Member

My cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes. My vet prescribed me Vetsulin and told me to give him 1 unit twice a day, 12 hours apart, using U-40 29G 1/2 cc needles. The U-40 needles are hurting/irritating my cat, so I read on here that we could use U-100 needles and convert the units over from U-40. So, I brought a 100 pack of CarePoint U-100 31G 3/10CC 8mm needles with half unit markings. However, my vet is saying I can't use them, because the Vetsulin is too thick for anything besides U-40 needles. I don't think this is true, but before I try it out. I just wanted to confirm again that other people here are using Vetsulin with U-100 needles. Also if the Vetsulin really is too thick, then how would I know? Like would I be unable to draw insulin into the syringe or would I be unable to inject it into my cat?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Suggestion, post this in the Main Health forum also, more eyes so hopefully you will get a response.
    I found this in the Beginner's Guide to Vetsulin:
    • A note on measuring very small insulin doses. If you are having trouble measuring a small insulin dose in a U40 syringe, you may find it easier to use U100 syringes along with a special conversion chart that explains how to measure the correct dose. Before attempting this it is vital that you understand how the conversion works, otherwise you could give your cat the wrong dose of insulin. Don’t attempt this without first getting advice on the forum.
    I am not qualified to advise you, unfortunately it's Friday night and many people are not active on the board right now. I have seen it emphasized that you need to be very careful with the conversions, as it is very easy to overdose using the U100 syringes.

Kcl0942 likes this.
  3. Kcl0942

Kcl0942 New Member

Lol, I made a post there a few days ago and you advised me to post here, so that the experienced users of Vetsulin can offer suggestions.

4. Idjit's mom

I know. Sorry, it's just a smaller forum and the experienced users are not always online. I am just hoping that someone will be monitoring the Health forum and is experienced enough to advise you. It's kind of a timing thing tonight and you might not get a response here until morning.

5. Kcl0942

Kcl0942 New Member

No problem, I was able to give him tonight's shot with the U-40 needle. It was difficult and hopefully I can switch to U-100 soon. Thanks for the help.

6. Idjit's mom

You could search for threads about using the U100 syringes for Vetsulin..maybe try "conversion chart" in the search box at the top right of the page. See what others asked and were answered.

Kcl0942 likes this.
  7. Kitty Anderson

Kitty Anderson Member

I have a conversion chart in my SS..
    I'm trying to find the post on here I got it from so I can link it in there.

My view is that if you are good with using conversion charts that the U100s are much easier. Each 1 unit line in the U100s is 0.4 units canininsulin. So if you are using smaller doses of insulin and convert correctly then it's much easier in U100s.

8. Kitty Anderson

Kitty Anderson Member

9. Pammy327

Pammy327 New Member

My cat has been diabetic for 3 years and I use a
    BD Veo Syringes 31g 1/2cc 6mm. U 100 , This brand has the shortest needle and thinest they make. There is a conversion chart, just as long as you use the same needle and use the dose that works for your animal. So if you need to give less or more insulin you stick with the u 100 same with the u40. You just don’t want to go back and forth that will just confuse you. I like this needle is why I went to the u100 they don’t make it on u40. I also am a nurse for 25 years so I deal with a lot of insulin measuring.