“Don’t shoot” threshold?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ReaAnn & Big Hoss, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ReaAnn & Big Hoss

ReaAnn & Big Hoss Member

Need some advice. We’re only about 10 days into this diabetic journey and we’re still trying to get Hoss regulated (or into remission hopefully!!) but his numbers are finally starting to come down since we upped his dose of Lantus on Saturday.

I want to be proactive and ask this question before I’m on my way out the door to work one morning and panicking not knowing what to do: what is the threshold recommendation for not shooting - or reducing the dose - if I’m going to be leaving for work for 12 hours immediately after his AM injection? In other words, anticipating the first time I see numbers in the 100’s, what should I do? Still being new to this, at what numbers can I feel safe to give a full dose? Lower the dose? If lowering, by how much? Or at what number should I skip the dose? Again, keeping in mind I’d be gone for 12 hours and not able to test him or make sure he’s eating.

Thanks for the help!!
    ReaAnn

2. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Just a suggestion, but, if you are testing right before his morning dose, this doesn't leave you much time to really think things out. Test at +11, that gives you 1 hour to ask for help and decide what to plan on before you leave. It will give you an idea of what Big Hoss is up to an hour ahead of time.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On this forum, we suggest that if you get a number below 150, you do not feed, and post for help. As Cindy says, if you can get a +11 or +11.5, it gives you a little time to get some suggestions on what to do.

You might want to read the Start Low Go Slow Sticky Note, especially the parts about how to handle a lower than normal preshot. Notice that there is a section titled "in the beginning" and that's where you are now as you are gathering data. Over time, you can move onto the section starting "with experience".

ReaAnn & Big Hoss likes this.