? Dora - BG high, stress or sick?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dora the Explorer, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Hi-

I’m not sure if I’m doing what Dora really needs and I’m getting worried. She’d been starting to stabilize and we lowered her down to 1.25 from 1.5 units of Lantus. At the same time we started traveling with her as we bought a house at the beach. She got used to it but now we’re down here and my kids have joined and brought their cats. She’s only encountered one but since he got here two days ago her sugar won’t come down. She’s been back to 1.5 for a week or so now but not really dropping. I also wonder sometimes if her pen is still good as it’s been toteD back and forth. (In a cooler bag)

Someone suggested getting her checked for a URI and she has sneezed 2-3 times this morning and her appetite is off. She’s eating but not much and I had to give Dr. Elsey’s dry, usually reserved as a treat, to get her to eat anything so I could give her a shot. Just checked at +3 and she’s in the high 400s.

We are two hours from her vet who has been the only one she’ll tolerate seeing but she needs to be sedated for testing. I can call a local vet but with covid they won’t let me in and I won’t know how it’s going.

what would you all recommend? She’s acting otherwise fine. I know she’s stressed. Would it be ok to wait until tomorrow and see if she stabilizes when things settle down? She’s always been very sensitive to stress and I was worried about this week. My son’s cat has epilepsy and my daughters’ has asthma which is why they’re here.

thanks for your thoughts
    Jane and Dora

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhh what a conundrum...Well? it does sound like stress is in play here. that can ABSOLUTELY raise bg numbers. Couple that with a possible infection? Sigh I would have a hard time waiting to see the Vet.
    Also cats have very strange reactions to other cats that are sick or have conditions. Ive seen cats that have been together all their lives and get on just fine. One gets sick? The other turns on him. That too is stress.
    I feel for your situation you just have to weigh what is more important I guess.
    (If there IS a UTI can you forgive yourself for waiting? UTI's can be very painful.:(

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide. We are here for you whatever happens.

I'm NOT an expert so by all means wait for more replies ok?
    jeanne

3. jt and trouble (GA)

btw Dora is aDORAble. :bighug:

4. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

thank you! And not a UTI but a URI - upper respiratory infection. But even if she does have that it could just be a dormant virus triggered by stress - she certainly doesn’t appear sick enough to need an antibiotic- and if she took one it could cause her to stop eating too, which happened the last time she was on one!

Every time this particular cat comes to stay with us Dora has some sort of crisis. Last time it was diabetes !

I’ve decided to wait until tomorrow and reassess since I see no signs of distress. Obviously if she gets worse in any way I’ll call them but if we can get her through this week the rest of her summer should be fairly calm. Thanks for the empathy!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Reason for edit: Typo
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. jt and trouble (GA)

My mistake I apologize...duhh jeanne

Dora the Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.