? Dora Higher after increase!?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dora the Explorer, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dora-2-19-amps-183-alphatrack.243364/

Why?

Dora had the one nice low and I did shoot a full dose. She appeared to bounce and has barely come down. Today is day 5 (?) Finally got a middle of the night reading at +8 and it’s over 400! These numbers are worse than the 300s she was having before I upped her dose.

any ideas? We’ll do a full curve in a day or two. I hoped she’d clear that bounce but she just always floats up there. She is fairly normal-acting aside from being sleepy (she’s a cat), not drinking or eating more than normal. No ketones that I can detect. Thanks for thoughts. I’m feeling defeated by this, thought I was all brave shooting the low number and it’s now worse

Jane and D

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jane

Looks like she needs more insulin. I'm sorry if I've asked this before, but is there a reason you are following SLGS and not TR? Are you feeding Dora dry food? You test enough for TR. With TR you can increase more aggressively and get Dora to her good dose soon.

The longer she remains in higher numbers, the greater the chances of glucose toxicity developing and the higher the dose required to break it.

You did great shooting that low number. While she did bounce from those lows, the overall higher numbers now are not from bouncing as much as her needing a higher dose.

3. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Hi and thanks -

what would be the difference with tr vs SLGS? I thought in either case you hold a dose for a week - I’ll have to reread it.

to be honest - we hate frequent testing- Dora can be tough at times so we don’t want to lose her cooperation. Also, sleep deprivation is a problem. Between Dora and the sick dog who need to go out at night it’s a real struggle. We need sleep!

Thanks again-off to research tr...I’m already shocked she’s upset to three units. How high will we need to go? Why does she need so much and why is she worse on a higher dose!

jane

4. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Oh-and no dry food. I have done the occasional nugget or two of Dr Elsey’s or Young Again but not once this starts to happen. She eats FF, Friskies, Weruva or Soulistic pates.

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Here is the sticky with the dosing protocols:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

In a nutshell:
    • With TR, you feed all wet (no dry), increase the dose every 3-5 days and reduce when the BG drops below 50. You will need to get at least one test per cycle in addition to the PS test. So at least 4 tests per day.
    • With SLGS you hold doses for a week, do a curve and increase if required. You decrease when the BG falls below 90.
    TR helps you get to a good dose faster and helps you stay at a dose where Dora sees normal BGs (50-100).

If you can, I would try TR. The longer she stays in higher numbers, the greater the chances that she may need more insulin to get to better numbers. We have had cats go to higher doses and it's like they break some barrier and suddenly start coming down in doses. The best way is to get to a dose that breaks through that glucose toxicity and get her to see good numbers.

6. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Ok. Well I slightly increased the dose to closer to 3.25. I’ll try that for a few days. I see people’s TR spreadsheets where they routinely test every hour or two through the day and night. I love my cat but I am not prepared for that level of testing regularly. So thanks for clearing that up.

she immediately went up to lie in the sun after her shot