Dosage after very low number

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Littlepiggy1313, May 25, 2024.

1. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

Hi,

My cat went down to 44 today, no symptoms and numbers rose by themself after giving food and honey, now wondering what dose I should give as I read they can be sensitive to insulin afterwards, insulin was due 20 minutes ago as been trying to find some help.

Thanks

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Piggy has earned a reduction back down to 3.25 units. If you are extra concerned (although it was not a symptomatic hypo) you could do a temporary reduction down to 3 units. You can always go back up.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Is Piggy getting small snacks of low carb food during the early portion of the cycle. Those are very important to help smooth the cycle and prevent steep drops. Today, the +2 test was a warning that Piggy was dropping too fast, especially since the insulin usually begins to onset at +2. So when you saw the 150, it was time to try some upper end low carb food like something 9-10 percent. Then check again in half an hour to make sure he’s not continuing a speedy drop. If he’s not slowed down, then give a little medium carb food (11-14 or 15 percent) then test again in 30 minutes. This way you can avoid lime green.

4. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 Member

Thanks for your help, I’ve given him 3.25 and will keep an eye on the numbers. He’s really hungry most days so is constantly grazing himself but the last couple of days his appetite hasn’t been as ravenous so not sure if that’s why it went lower.